FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   JP Morgan Palladium Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1089511-jp-morgan-palladium-card.html)

bizaro86 May 26, 2010 3:47 pm

JP Morgan Palladium Card

Hello,

This week's Barrons had an article on the JP Morgan private bank, and mentioned they offer their clients a "Palladium Card." It apparently includes an "unusually generous airline-rewards program." The article didn't go into any details, and the card is only available to private banking clients. Any insight on what the benefits are?

Michael

Moderator2 May 27, 2010 6:40 am

Please follow in the Other Credit Cards forum...

TAHKUCT May 27, 2010 8:09 am

Unless you have a subscription, you can only view first few lines.

TheEngineer May 27, 2010 8:18 am

I think this come under the heading of "If you have to ask, you don't qualify" ;)

angel.x.martinez May 27, 2010 8:21 am

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB...el_article%3D1

mia May 27, 2010 8:37 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 14031699)
Unless you have a subscription, you can only view first few lines.

To work around this:

• Go to: google.com
  • Search for: jp morgan palladium card

A working link will appear near the top of the results, and you will be able to read the entire article, which does not say much about the card.

If you copy the link and paste it into a Flyertalk post it will no longer display the entire article.

TAHKUCT May 27, 2010 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 14031902)
To work around this:

• Go to: google.com
  • Search for: jp morgan palladium card

A working link will appear near the top of the results, and you will be able to read the entire article, which does not say much about the card.

If you copy the link and paste it into a Flyertalk post it will no longer display the entire article.

Thanks

skofarrell May 27, 2010 5:23 pm

http://webreprints.djreprints.com/2436681116183.pdf

Chase + "Ultra High Net Worth" = Lots of fees.

dougny Apr 7, 2011 11:24 am

I actually have had this card since fall if anyone wants to know anything.

craigf Apr 7, 2011 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by dougny (Post 16177386)

So, what does it offer? Is there an annual fee?

yevlesh2 Apr 7, 2011 10:32 pm

Just found a detailed review of the card at http://creditcardforum.com/blog/jp-m...card-benefits/

The rewards program looks decent, but certainly not amazing considering the requirements associated with the card.

Originally Posted by craigf (Post 16179482)

MrPink Apr 8, 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by yevlesh2 (Post 16180766)
Just found a detailed review of the card at http://creditcardforum.com/blog/jp-m...card-benefits/

The rewards program looks decent, but certainly not amazing considering the requirements associated with the card.

Given that it's Ultimate Rewards, it actually sounds like it's worse than my Chase Freedom card in terms of points earning.

dougny Apr 12, 2011 9:14 am

Originally Posted by craigf (Post 16179482)

It was $600 when I got it and was told that the card itself was worth $600 in metals, haven't had it a year so I dont know offhand if that is per year.

Having a Centurion card, I havent figured out yet how it will benefit me beyond that card.

It's actually quite annoying and I find myself not wanting to pull it out of my wallet. Despite being way too heavy for a CC, it just gets too much attention. I don't want to have to explain what it is when I am picking up lightbulbs at the hardware store, I dont want get it passed around at a restaurant and have 10 people touch it before it is given back to me. Because of that, it has gone mostly unused the last 10 months.

millsdale Apr 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Does not seem very impressive of an offering

kebosabi Apr 14, 2011 9:31 am

Seems like there's a new benefit for Palladium cardholders: EMV chips.

JPMorgan Pushes Chip Cards to Wealthy in Race With Wells Fargo

"JPMorgan will first offer the card exclusively to affluent customers. Clients with a JPMorgan Palladium credit card, which has a $595 annual fee, will receive a chip card by June, the company said."

Was thinking of that. If one's paying close to $600 in annual fees, one should get a better card than a plain ol' 50 year old mag-stripe.

stives Apr 17, 2011 12:48 am

Originally Posted by dougny (Post 16177386)

What brand wallet do you have it stored in?

harel Apr 20, 2011 2:48 pm

hey,
drooping the amx Platinum , debating between Presidential plus chase continental and J.P. Morgan plladium Visa.
is that what you have?
how easy it to transfer miles to Continental?
tx

bver100 Apr 21, 2011 11:43 am

Originally Posted by harel (Post 16253369)
hey
drooping the amx Platinum , debating between Presidential plus chase continental and J.P. Morgan plladium Visa.
is that what you have?
how easy it to transfer miles to Continental?
tx

I don't think getting the Palladium Visa is really that simple as "oh do i want this or that". Wait until you are offered it (got 30m in the bank?) before actually trying to even consider making this judgement call! ;)

dougny Apr 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by bver100 (Post 16257700)
I don't think getting the Palladium Visa is really that simple as "oh do i want this or that". Wait until you are offered it (got 30m in the bank?) before actually trying to even consider making this judgement call! ;)

Actually that's what I did. I found out about it in this thread, read the Barron's article then called my Morgan Private rep and asked about it. She didn't know much about it and had never seen one at that time but said it wouldn't be a problem to get. Truth be told, I really just got it because I was really curious what the look and feel of the card was. I think other points and credit card buffs will understand that.

broadwayblue Apr 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by dougny (Post 16269833)
Actually that's what I did. I found out about it in this thread, read the Barron's article then called my Morgan Private rep and asked about it. She didn't know much about it and had never seen one at that time but said it wouldn't be a problem to get. Truth be told, I really just got it because I was really curious what the look and feel of the card was. I think other points and credit card buffs will understand that.

You obtained a credit card with a $595 annual fee because you wanted to see what it looked like? :eek:

LH1H7 Apr 26, 2011 8:54 am

Pa

Commodities are on a tear!! Just the metal in the card could be worth $1000 now!! ;)

By the way, as a 0.00015% shareholder of JPM, I appreciate the support :p

Roka Jun 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Any one know if Palladium cards are already being issued with EMV chips? Thinking of getting one.

Roka Jun 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Also, any fee for additional card holder?

Gekko Jun 14, 2011 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Roka (Post 16555653)
Any one know if Palladium cards are already being issued with EMV chips? Thinking of getting one.

Not as yet, but apparently sometime this month. Additional cards are $100.

alemdohorizonte Jun 14, 2011 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Roka (Post 16555653)

they told me they will start releasing them this wednesday, june 15.
also, the person i spoke with swore it was chip and pin (not chip and signature). i'll report back which it actually is as soon as the new one arrives.

alemdohorizonte Jun 21, 2011 8:22 am

Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte (Post 16558467)
they told me they will start releasing them this wednesday, june 15.
also, the person i spoke with swore it was chip and pin (not chip and signature). i'll report back which it actually is as soon as the new one arrives.

just used the new chipped card here in prague. it's chip and signature, not chip and pin.

mia Jun 21, 2011 8:29 am

Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte (Post 16599260)
...it's chip and signature, not chip and pin.

Thank you for the verification. I imagine this means the card is inserted in the same fashion as a Chip & PIN card, the terminal recognizes the Chip, and automatically prints a transaction slip to be signed? Do the sales clerks seem familiar with the process or surprised?

alemdohorizonte Jun 22, 2011 12:16 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 16599310)
Thank you for the verification. I imagine this means the card is inserted in the same fashion as a Chip & PIN card, the terminal recognizes the Chip, and automatically prints a transaction slip to be signed? Do the sales clerks seem familiar with the process or surprised?

yes. that's exactly how it has worked. when you insert the card into the machine (i used it in one that only took chipped cards), the screen said something in czech and then said "approved" and then the cashier handed me a receipt to sign and asked to see the signature on the back of my card. not sure what would have happened if it had been an automated check-out that required a pin. the card does have a pin but it's only for withdrawing cash.

no surprises from anyone thus far (other than the standard shock & awe from the fact that the card is very heavy).

richarddd Jun 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte (Post 16604371)
not sure what would have happened if it had been an automated check-out that required a pin.

That's the biggest question many of us have about the chip & signature cards - whether they'll work in unattended kiosks and the like. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

NizzoFoShizzo Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm

With no fees on cash advances, does this card still offer rewards on cash advances?

That could be a big perk.

alemdohorizonte Jun 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd (Post 16608034)
That's the biggest question many of us have about the chip & signature cards - whether they'll work in unattended kiosks and the like. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

update:
i have now used the chip and signature palladium visa card many times in attended checkouts that have machines that read chipped cards only. the card has worked flawlessly every time -- the cashier just hands over the docket to me to sign.

to date i have only been able to attempt purchases in two unattended venues that required chipped cards. the first was to purchase a tram ticket in munich (the machine only showed the maestro (mc) logo, so i'm not comfortable that this was a fair test) and the second was a vending machine that had a strong air of out-of-order about it (so i'm not 100% comfortable with the validity of that test either). in both of these cases my purchase was rejected with an "unable to read card" error.

i will continue to try to find more unattended kiosks, but, from my flawed sampling thus far, it appears that chase's chip and signature cards do not work in unattended checkouts that require a chip and pin.

ClimbGuy Jun 30, 2011 3:26 pm

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...visa_signature

you can get one for $89 with UR

mia Jul 1, 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy (Post 16653237)
you can get one for $89 with UR

The "Select" card is one of a few discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...signature.html

alemdohorizonte Jul 5, 2011 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte (Post 16648028)
i will continue to try to find more unattended kiosks, but, from my flawed sampling thus far, it appears that chase's chip and signature cards do not work in unattended checkouts that require a chip and pin.

the jp morgan chipped visa worked fine for a 100 pound purchase in the unattended virgin train ticket machines -- sans signature. although the slot looked as though it only supported chipped cards, i'm unsure of whether or not it would have read a mag striped card. i was hoping to use it on a tollway in france for a definitive test but ended up not renting a car.

when i get back to sydney, i'll try it in one of the many train ticket vending machines there that i know for certain only support chip and pin.

kebosabi Jul 7, 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte (Post 16676079)
the jp morgan chipped visa worked fine for a 100 pound purchase in the unattended virgin train ticket machines -- sans signature. although the slot looked as though it only supported chipped cards, i'm unsure of whether or not it would have read a mag striped card. i was hoping to use it on a tollway in france for a definitive test but ended up not renting a car.

when i get back to sydney, i'll try it in one of the many train ticket vending machines there that i know for certain only support chip and pin.

Thanks for your continued first hand experience. If you also get a chance, I'd like to know how that card works in some of the multi-readers that we have been seeing at some stores in the US as well. 7-Eleven in the US seems to be the best place to test it out as it has the Ingenico terminals which processes the contactless, the mag-stripe, and the chip in one single device.

Gekko Jul 7, 2011 4:06 pm

I just tried at 7-Eleven, no dice. The terminal did not even acknowledge when the card was inserted.

alemdohorizonte Aug 3, 2011 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte (Post 16676079)

i have now used the chase palladium card multiple times in the automated train ticket vending machines here in australia. these only accept chipped cards. every time my card has worked.

the interesting twist is that after inserting the chip, in some machines the message is "enter pin or press ok" (i have tested both options in these machines and each (pin or ok) work). in other machines it only gives me the option "enter pin". if i put in a dummy pin the charge is rejected. when i use the pin that was set by chase (i thought only for cash withdrawals) the purchase is approved (and the charges is listed as a purchase--not a cash advance).

perhaps, as mia pointed out earlier, it has to do with the revision of software the machines are running. but at least here in australia, the card's pin functions as it should.

alemdohorizonte Aug 21, 2011 3:25 am

further update

i have now used my chipped card many more times in chip only vending machines in australia. all purchases have gone through without problems.

i have continued to try to put dummy pin numbers in (i.e. 0000, 9999 or nothing at all) and each time i input a dummy pin, the charge is declined. once i put in the correct pin, the charge is always immediately approved. this has been the case 100% of the time.

so at least here in australia, chase's chip and signature card functions as a chip and pin card when no signature option is available.

bubu-SNA Oct 7, 2011 1:40 pm

approved...

...approved for the Palladium. Had to go through private banking for the application. Extremely generous credit line to start with, comparable to what my Centurion can reach before I receive the mid-month early payment "shakedown call".

I'm not dropping the centurion, but its nice to have alternatives for high charge. I can now comfortably refuse an FR knowing I won't have the inconvenience of having to scramble for multiple high limit credit cards.

mlad1101 Oct 7, 2011 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA (Post 17237052)
...approved for the Palladium. Had to go through private banking for the application. Extremely generous credit line to start with, comparable to what my Centurion can reach before I receive the mid-month early payment "shakedown call".

I'm not dropping the centurion, but its nice to have alternatives for high charge. I can now comfortably refuse an FR knowing I won't have the inconvenience of having to scramble for multiple high limit credit cards.

Are you a private banking customer? If not what did they require?

My financial guy just told me he could get me a Centurion if I want(after asking if they are going to do anything to enhance their product), debating the offer even though I turned the Cent invite down years ago... Just wish someone would offer a competitive product in terms of the statuses and perks.