Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
When I received this month's bill and saw the $75 annual fee, I phoned in to close the account. The CSR insisted that he could not remove the 2nd year's annual fee.

A request to talk to a supervisor resulted in transfer to a better-trained CSR who immediately agreed to close the account and cancel the annual fee.

Both CSRs sounded American.

That's the first time in my churning career that I've run into a situation where a first-line CSR would not cancel the fee.
Unless you want to fish out some retention bonus, there is NO NEED to call to cancel. Use the secured email to request if the fee could be waived, if not, please close the account - 2 hours later the account is closed - entirely hassle-free. The annual fee is promised to be reversed and it does after 2 business days.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:03 am

Hi all,

I tried to look through the many pages of this Chase BA visa thread and would like some input.

I got this Chase BA Visa around end of 2009, got my 100K miles. Redeemed on a nice CX Trans Pacific business class ticket and will have the return leg flying back to North America in mid Jan. I only have around 3K miles in my BA account now which I don't really care if I lose it. Now it is approaching the end of the 1-year mark of this Chase BA Visa so I am expecting the $75 annual fee (just checked online and did not see the $75 fee yet). I am ready to cancel this credit card since I have another Chase UA Mileage Plus Visa and I have already used my 100K miles.

Questions:

1. If I call and cancel the card now, is there any hidden cancellation fee for cancellation of card within 1 year of application?

2. I read from previous post they can't do anything with the miles already posted to my BA account. I only have that 3K miles which i can care less. But i am concerned if it will affect my return flight on CX which i have already used my BA miles.

Do you think I should play safe and wait till I finish my flight in Mid January? By that time, I would probably have that 2nd year $75 annual fee hit my account and I could just call or email to ask them to waive it and close it, right?

Any thoughts? Thanks !
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Chase posts annual fee of its cards at the beginning of each month following the anniversary.

2) You can cancel the card even after the annual fee is posted. Chase will reverse the fee after card closure done within 60 days. This is the rule in the past regarding the 60 days.

You will not lose any miles that are already in your BA account. You only lose miles that have not yet transferred to BA account. I dont think this is your case here.

Originally Posted by balloon1979
Hi all,

I tried to look through the many pages of this Chase BA visa thread and would like some input.

I got this Chase BA Visa around end of 2009, got my 100K miles. Redeemed on a nice CX Trans Pacific business class ticket and will have the return leg flying back to North America in mid Jan. I only have around 3K miles in my BA account now which I don't really care if I lose it. Now it is approaching the end of the 1-year mark of this Chase BA Visa so I am expecting the $75 annual fee (just checked online and did not see the $75 fee yet). I am ready to cancel this credit card since I have another Chase UA Mileage Plus Visa and I have already used my 100K miles.

Questions:

1. If I call and cancel the card now, is there any hidden cancellation fee for cancellation of card within 1 year of application?

2. I read from previous post they can't do anything with the miles already posted to my BA account. I only have that 3K miles which i can care less. But i am concerned if it will affect my return flight on CX which i have already used my BA miles.

Do you think I should play safe and wait till I finish my flight in Mid January? By that time, I would probably have that 2nd year $75 annual fee hit my account and I could just call or email to ask them to waive it and close it, right?

Any thoughts? Thanks !
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, BA, DL, SPG and Marriott
I have less than $4000 to spend by 12/31 to get the free companion ticket when I book a flight w/ miles. Should I do a coin purchase to get to the level?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by 91lsc
I have less than $4000 to spend by 12/31 to get the free companion ticket when I book a flight w/ miles. Should I do a coin purchase to get to the level?
If you are talking about a US Mint purchase, there is a $1000 limit (every 10 days), and the charge won't post until the coins ship, which would most likely be after Jan. 1st, 2011. I'm in a similar situation with a different card and plan on buying lots of kroger/target/walmart gift cards tonight.

Last edited by knopfler; Dec 29, 2010 at 10:56 am Reason: edited to reflect 10 day limit for mint purchases
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:06 am

Called yesterday (after aplying to two 75K AA Citi cards), canceled without a problem (saw a charge 2 weeks ago), (rejected 5000 miles). Don't even have to pay off the balance. Been told that old autopay will do it's work on time.

Checking with myFico Score Watch and CreditKarma, my score didn't change/update since that (applied to two and canceled one card) probably takes time?

So to not forget and loose the miles it's the awardwallet.com?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only way you can hit this before 12/31 is to buy $4000 GCs no later than tonight, or to buy $4000 worth of merchandises at places like Target where the charges show up in 2 days.

You most likely is SOL in making of the shortfall at such short time... because charges often do not post until 2 days later in many places...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
I would suggest, if you have a Nordstrom's near you, buying a nice piece of jewelry for around $4000 and having it shipped to you... then when you return it to the store, ask for cash back. I did that once, but it was only about $800, and I didn't know I was going to be returning it. But the spend still stayed on my credit card and towards whatever spend threshold I was trying to reach at that time.

Nordie's has awesome customer service and they won't even blink an eye when you tell them you want cash back, although for that amount they may have to mail you a check which would take about 2 weeks.

ETA - or to ensure the charge will post by Friday, go to the store and buy something expensive!! Then return it next year.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by blase
I would suggest, if you have a Nordstrom's near you, buying a nice piece of jewelry for around $4000 and having it shipped to you... then when you return it to the store, ask for cash back. I did that once, but it was only about $800, and I didn't know I was going to be returning it. But the spend still stayed on my credit card and towards whatever spend threshold I was trying to reach at that time.

Nordie's has awesome customer service and they won't even blink an eye when you tell them you want cash back, although for that amount they may have to mail you a check which would take about 2 weeks.

ETA - or to ensure the charge will post by Friday, go to the store and buy something expensive!! Then return it next year.
On a more pedestrian level, Costco also usually does cash refunds for credit purchases, tho maybe not on $4K.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:10 pm

Anyone know if you accept the 5,000 miles and then still cancel within 2 months of the annual fee hitting, will you get to keep the 5,000 miles?

Additionally, regarding the increase in fees/taxes on partner awards (American, Qantas, etc). is there any documentation of the changes made by BA (unlikely, but maybe someone has a link).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:48 pm

Or you can buy a fully refundable full fare ticket on the airline of your choosing and then cancel the flight for 100% refund next year. This tactic has a lot of uses from a personal or corporate level...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has Chase stepped up their retention bonuses on this card lately? Seems like a bit earlier in the thread, almost no one was being offered the 5,000 miles, while more recently almost every posted has been offered the 5,000 miles to keep the card. Has anyone called recently and not been offered the 5,000 mile retention bonus?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Has Chase stepped up their retention bonuses on this card lately? Seems like a bit earlier in the thread, almost no one was being offered the 5,000 miles, while more recently almost every posted has been offered the 5,000 miles to keep the card. Has anyone called recently and not been offered the 5,000 mile retention bonus?
If you are a big spender on the card, you will get promotion offers as well as retention offer.

If you have put the card in sock drawer all the while, CSR would say sorry but happy to cancel your card.

We did not get any retention offer on either card in the household despite we put a few thousands on them a couple months before anniversary (to ramp up enough miles for an AA one-way domestic award.)
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramblers63
Additionally, regarding the increase in fees/taxes on partner awards (American, Qantas, etc). is there any documentation of the changes made by BA (unlikely, but maybe someone has a link).
Why you need documentation? use it to argue with BA when it charges you? Good Luck.

You can check BA forum to see if the regular there have posted any published table / chart on the fees. Chances are, there is none because the YQ seems to be a fluid matter. Case in point, JFK-LHR YQ just gone up by another $120 to now $440 r/t effective 12/23. Check AA forum there is a long thread about this yet another increase of YQ which has very little direct relationship with the price of fuel because when the price goes down the YQ hardly budge. It is more like a "co-payment" with a misleading name.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
BA has been a good card for me, 1.2 miles per buck spent, and no out of country fee, they even let you use the miles on AA, plus..They even let you group the household miles....$30g's in spending to have the wife ride free... this one's a keeper for me...

Seems like they found a lot of cherry pickers over her in the US, but then I have churned a few also...at the end of the year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.