Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA
is this credit card still available, and is there an active link?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by bobatrec
I'm ok. I applied for the AMEX three months sooner than the BA. My AMEX runs out on March 24th and the BA April 10th. I only have a $1000 left to make the AMEX deadline but it's a slow travel time for me so the ideas will help me make both deadlines. The BA miles are great because AA flies into a lot of local airports and is the airline I would use for vacations.
Buy Amex giftcards in the amount that you need to make the threshold.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:19 pm
nsr

Originally Posted by specialeffects
Does it look like this for everyone else too
Yes. You can sit back and relax.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asuktfo
I received the card in the beginning of Jan and have since gotten the 100k bonus.

I am hoping to book flights on AA from LGA, EWR, or JFK to PSP, LAS, or PHX
but so far it has been incredibly difficult to find anything available in coach on BA's website (after selecting partners.) Will this continue, or are there some tips and tricks to that I might benefit from IE: day of the week to try, minimum amount of time to book in advance, etc...

Sample attempted itinerary:

NYC--LAS
8/23 - 8/25

Thanks in advance for any help
BA site is not very good in showing partner award seats that require connections. Known glitch by BA flyers.

Check AA own site for the award seats availability. If you see them available on AA, call BA to book. If BA agent finds the flights, tell him / her you could not book this online. They are very good in waiving the phone booking fee in this case.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by specialeffects
From my wife's chase a/c page:

Rewards Program Details

With the British Airways Visa Card, you'll be packing before you know it.

* Earn 2.5 miles for every $1 you spend on British Airways purchases.
* Earn 1.25 miles for every $1 you spend everywhere else.
* $50 off any British Airways ticket purchase made online. To book visit ba.com/get50.
* Receive complimentary companion tickets:
o Every year you spend $30,000 you will receive a redemption voucher for a ticket for a companion, valid for 2 years. Redeem your BA Miles for a British Airways flight and take anyone with you, on the same flight, in the same class of service.
o Every time you purchase a full-fare First, Club World or World Traveller Plus ticket, you'll receive a complimentary companion ticket. Please visit ba.com/visa2for1 or call 1-877-376-3135.
* Worldwide acceptance anywhere Visa credit cards are accepted.

There is no mention of the 50k enrollment bonus + 50k spending bonus. Does it look like this for everyone else too or its spells the 50k +50k bonus????? I am afraid she will loose out on the bonus.
No. What you see is the details of BENEFITS, not to confuse with BONUSES. Everyone sees the same thing.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Did you find these on the BAEC website? I see nothing for LAX-HKG in
Late April and May. Also phoned them...no business or econ on JAL or CX
for that entire time period.
I would try asiamiles.com in your case as you can see a whole week of availability in one search. I found May 4 has a J seat available on CX883. See if you can grab it.

It also looks like CX has plenty of Y availability from SFO pretty much every day in late April and May, including weekends. Can you be more flexible and fly out of SFO?

EDIT to add: nevermind flying out of SFO.... since you are redeeming BA miles, you have to fly one partner all the way through.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by pdrickey
FYI - The companion vouchers have started posting to accounts. Mine showed up this morning online...
thanks

about time they figured it out, it's finally showing up ^
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by buschoi
I would try asiamiles.com in your case as you can see a whole week of availability in one search. I found May 4 has a J seat available on CX883. See if you can grab it.

It also looks like CX has plenty of Y availability from SFO pretty much every day in late April and May, including weekends. Can you be more flexible and fly out of SFO?

EDIT to add: nevermind flying out of SFO.... since you are redeeming BA miles, you have to fly one partner all the way through.
IIRC, he wants to fly LAX-CAN, which happens to be the exact same route I flew last week. I ended up on CX883 connecting to 8a KA flight to CAN. While I'm in no position to complain since the ticket only set me back $50 and I got to try out CX's new biz product, I'm tempted to use JL when I try to repeat the same trip next month.

Rationale:
-JL has much better food than CX
-LAX-HKG is actually a really long flight, even in business class
-even though CX's seats are completely flat, I felt cramped; it's almost like they were designed with 5'8" passengers in mind
-by contrast, I personally find the JL Neo seats to be quite comfortable
-CX blows away JL (and most other carriers) on the IFE front, but I'm happy as long as I have the map and some decent music; I don't require a 17" screen
-both CX and JL have really big business class cabins, which means that the service isn't much better than that on your typical UA 2-class 777, but I still feel that JL does a better than CX job wrt to adapting to this problem; SQ has solved it completely, but I digress
-even though BA won't commit to it when you book, ime JL hands out hotel vouchers like candy for pax on forced overnights (stark contrast to its more efficiently run competitor, NH); I would take this gamble

All that having been said, one really great thing about CX awards for CAN visitors is, as long as you're willing to take the train to and from Guangzhou, you can tack on an additional segment to anywhere CX or KA flies in Asia.

OT: I really want to try CX F on a future trip (it looked so amazing when I walked on past those 9 seats), but that's a comparatively poor use of BA miles IMO.

All of that complaining aside, I knew this BA card was a sweet deal the second I laid eyes upon it, but the full extent of the sweetness didn't hit home until midway through that first 16-hour (yes, that's how long it took) flight on CX. If and when this offer returns, I plan on expanding my referral efforts even further afield. Basically, I want to get my hands on as many miles as possible because C for $50 each way (plus the hassle of the $2k spend) beats the hell out of paying $600 for Y. While some would argue that the latter would help be build/maintain status, I'd happily trade all of my status away if I could continue to fly in biz for almost nothing.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Happy
BA site is not very good in showing partner award seats that require connections. Known glitch by BA flyers.

Check AA own site for the award seats availability. If you see them available on AA, call BA to book. If BA agent finds the flights, tell him / her you could not book this online. They are very good in waiving the phone booking fee in this case.
Thanks a lot Happy. I appreciate you helping out a n00b.

Glad to be part of the forum
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by moondog
IIRC, he wants to fly LAX-CAN, which happens to be the exact same route I flew last week. I ended up on CX883 connecting to 8a KA flight to CAN. While I'm in no position to complain since the ticket only set me back $50 and I got to try out CX's new biz product, I'm tempted to use JL when I try to repeat the same trip next month.
My focus was on OP's concern not finding any Y or J seat on LAX-HKG in late April or early May. I did not look further back the chain where OP's final destination is, but it does not matter if the time frame and carrier of choice does not offer the award seat.

I have not flown with JL before because of my preference towards the red-eye TPAC flights. Based on this, JL can never be my first choice due to curfew restriction at NRT, but my first time on JL will be this June in Y Ican't find J availability) from YVR. Not the newest plane (744), best seat (Y vs J), or best time (not red-eye) for me, but this is all I can find for the date I want (and I reserved the June ticket back in last November with AA miles). At least this would give me a new experience and compare JL and CX's Y seats. I have been with CX for too long.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by buschoi
My focus was on OP's concern not finding any Y or J seat on LAX-HKG in late April or early May. I did not look further back the chain where OP's final destination is, but it does not matter if the time frame and carrier of choice does not offer the award seat.

I have not flown with JL before because of my preference towards the red-eye TPAC flights. Based on this, JL can never be my first choice due to curfew restriction at NRT, but my first time on JL will be this June in Y Ican't find J availability) from YVR. Not the newest plane (744), best seat (Y vs J), or best time (not red-eye) for me, but this is all I can find for the date I want (and I reserved the June ticket back in last November with AA miles). At least this would give me a new experience and compare JL and CX's Y seats. I have been with CX for too long.
I think we first got this discussion going in the China forum, so it would be understandable if you didn't know the full extent of his plans.

I must admit that CX883 didn't give me much jet lag at all (I'm usually okay going west, but this was better than usual; I got a lot of sleep time during that flight).
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
All that having been said, one really great thing about CX awards for CAN visitors is, as long as you're willing to take the train to and from Guangzhou, you can tack on an additional segment to anywhere CX or KA flies in Asia.
Thanks, very interesting!

I looked at KA route map, can go all the way to Urumqi.
If TPAC on business award, would that book into coach or first on Dragonair?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Thanks, very interesting!

I looked at KA route map, can go all the way to Urumqi.
If TPAC on business award, would that book into coach or first on Dragonair?
C is the top class on KA narrow bodies IME (in fact, row numbers start at around 10).
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:55 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
[QUOTE=buschoi;13539873]I would try asiamiles.com in your case as you can see a whole week of availability in one search. I found May 4 has a J seat available on CX883. See if you can grab it.

I'd happily trade all of my status away if I could continue to fly in biz for almost nothing.
^

Thanks for the tip about asiamiles.com. Will check this out.

In the last couple years I have flown TPAC in the most high demand
time periods, in business class, all on award miles. What benefits
are elite status when you have a business class ticket? ...not much.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by pdrickey
FYI - The companion vouchers have started posting to accounts. Mine showed up this morning online...
Where'd it appear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.