Wiki Posts
Search

Getting cash in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Getting cash in Costa Rica

We land in LIR in a few days and I was looking to understand where I could get local currency. Is there an ATM at the airport or nearby? What is a reasonable amount to withdraw for a 10 day trip spread between Guanacaste (near Tamarindo) and Arenal.

When In Mexico, the one place where we always use pesos is for gas and other smaller restaurants, etc.and I always like having local currency on hand.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:38 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I got cash from an ATM last month in LIR. IIRC, it was in the baggage claim area along the wall. I withdrew about $500 worth (300K CRC) for about 8 days and that did us just fine, but of course how much you will need is dependent on your circumstances.
crazyhorse likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
USD bills $20's or less are almost universaly accepted for payment at most places with change in CRC. They just round to 600 CRC to $1 which is within 1% of the market rate. If you pulled a bunch of $20s from a US ATM and just use ATMs here when convenient you would be fine. Your Dollars are good enough there is no pressure to immediately get CRC.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
USD bills $20's or less are almost universaly accepted for payment at most places with change in CRC. They just round to 600 CRC to $1 which is within 1% of the market rate. If you pulled a bunch of $20s from a US ATM and just use ATMs here when convenient you would be fine. Your Dollars are good enough there is no pressure to immediately get CRC.
Thanks. I just got some 10s, 5s and 1s from the bank today. Since I will be renting a car, I wanted to understand how gas is paid for. Usually that is always paid in local currency. In Mexico, it was the one place I always paid in pesos cash.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Gas can either be paid in cash or by plastic (debit or credit) in most places. If you use plastic then the same precautions one uses in Mexico apply: Watch your card to be sure it's only processed once and for the correct amount.

US dollars are widely accepted in most tourist areas and at a reasonable exchange rate. Caution: most places will not accept any bill that is "defaced" by writing or small years.

Lastly, beware of the CRC 20,000 banknote! Smaller locations loathe them because they don't carry sufficient change. If the ATM spits them out, try to break them at your hotel or a supermarket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.