Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at GUA - 50 minute Layover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Connecting at GUA - 50 minute Layover

I hope someone whose transited through GUA can give me some advice regarding this itinerary.

I'm looking to booking an AV flight from LAX to SAL with a 50 min connection in GUA. I know I could book a non-stop flight, though that non-stop comes in a bit too early, and want to be in SAL later in the morning.

Fri Aug 23 - Sat Aug 24
LAX-GUA
11:55pm-5:35am
50 min layover
6:25am-7:15am

From what I see both aircrafts are going to be an A320. Perhaps I might not even leave the plane. I'm checking in luggage. Wanted to know if I'll have to pass through customs and recheck my luggage or will it be like in SAL, were one just leaves the plane, and moves to the next gate and wait for the next flight, and the bags are sent to the final destination (for those going to Costa Rica etc).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
It's actually a stop for you. The LAX-GUA is flight operated by Avianca Costa Rica on AV641 which stops for fuel in GUA. Your second flight is operated by TACA (Avianca El Salvador).

Bags go to SAL directly, no customs in GUA. Same as SAL, you probably walk next door to the next gate.

The inbound LAX-GUA is a good flight, you get an amazing view of GUA on approach while the sun is coming up and the volcanoes look nea.t
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redwood839
It's a technical stop. You stay in the plane, cleaners will come on and do their stuff and then the plane gets rammed to the gills, every damn time.

They're check straight to SAL. You don't move a muscle.
Thanks for the heads up. Then, I'll go ahead and book this since I don't want to be in SAL at 5:25am, plus my family members who live over there will thank me for the extra hour of sleep they'll get instead of waking up in the wee hours just to be there and pick me up.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

It's actually a stop for you. The LAX-GUA is flight operated by Avianca Costa Rica on AV641 which stops for fuel in GUA. Your second flight is operated by TACA (Avianca El Salvador).

Bags go to SAL directly, no customs in GUA. Same as SAL, you probably walk next door to the next gate.

The inbound LAX-GUA is a good flight, you get an amazing view of GUA on approach while the sun is coming up and the volcanoes look nea.t
It's going to make for some nice photos.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Just to make sure, I updated after I wrote it was a tech stop. The correct answer is the second one, which is a flight and plane change.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Just to make sure, I updated after I wrote it was a tech stop. The correct answer is the second one, which is a flight and plane change.
Don't worry I did read it.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

I contacted Avianca via their chat. I asked them the same questioned and they told me I should be fine since my luggage will be checked in for my final destination and since Guatemala is a stop, and not my final destination, I won't go through customs/immigration. So, I should be fine unless something crazy happens at LAX.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:34 pm

Hello, hope you had a great trip.
Is GUA airport like SAL with international transit zone?
I bought a ticket with connection at GUA and I want to double check there is transit zone, since I'll need a visa to go through customs.
Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kualoa
Hello, hope you had a great trip.
Is GUA airport like SAL with international transit zone?
I bought a ticket with connection at GUA and I want to double check there is transit zone, since I'll need a visa to go through customs.
Thanks!
Sadly due to health issues, I had to postpone my trip to early next year. I might be going in early February. I'd say contact Avianca for confirmation and post whatever they tell you here, so I know I'm ready when I do go in February. Since from what they told me, I'd be only switching planes and not going through customs.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:24 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 26volt
Sadly due to health issues, I had to postpone my trip to early next year. I might be going in early February. I'd say contact Avianca for confirmation and post whatever they tell you here, so I know I'm ready when I do go in February. Since from what they told me, I'd be only switching planes and not going through customs.
I found these two threads. No need to go through customs.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/centr...yover-gua.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/centr...eeded-gua.html

Last edited by Kualoa; Nov 13, 2019 at 1:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.