Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Luxury Resort near SJO Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Most Luxury Resort near SJO Costa Rica

It seems all the fancy luxury resorts are near LIR in Costa Rica. I want to fly into SJO and go to a nice resort. It does not have to be beach. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I don't know how you're defining "resort." The Marriott, about three miles from the airport, has the feel of a country estate.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
SJO is a city, in a valley, in the center of the country; so resorts are not a strong business here. What you can find are luxury hotels or houses in AirBnB. Some preferred properties are:

- Intercontinental San Jose (Escazu) :-::-::-::-::-: : Luxury executive city hotel, located in commercial area, 4 miles from downtown. Has spa and medium size pools. President Barack Obama stayed here in 2013.

- Marriott Costa Rica (Belen) :-::-::-::-:: BEAUTIFUL thematic (spanish colonial) luxury hotel for premium tourists, located in suburb area, 7 miles from downtown, close to airport. Has spa, medium size pools, small golf course. President Bill Clinton stayed here in 1997.

- DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari :-::-::-::-:: Regular to premium hotel for regular tourists/business travelers, located in suburb/commercial area, 5 miles from downtown, close to airport. Has spa, small and Olympic pools, tennis courts, ENORMOUS golf course. Presidents Ronald Reagan and and George H.W. Bush stayed here in 1983 and 1989 respectively.

- Wyndham Herradura :-::-::-::-:: Regular to premium hotel for regular tourists/business travelers, very close to the DoubleTree Cariari. Has spa, a big pool, nice restaurants, including Hard Rock Cafe. King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain stayed here in 2004.

- Hilton Garden Inn San Jose :-::-::-::-:: New modern premium hotel in tower for regular and young tourists/business travelers. Located in downtown, across La Sabana metropolitan park. Is in a very convenient area, has bars and good restaurants.

The only property in SJO that is considered RESORT is Martino Spa and Resort Hotel La Garita :-::-::-:: Small hotel, for couples and relaxation. Located in semi-rural area, 7 miles from airport, and 17 miles from downtown. It suffered a fire that partially damaged the property some months ago, so I'm not sure about the current condition.

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Mar 25, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Before Guanacaste (LIR area) became what it is today luxury resorts, there was Tabacon up by Arvenal Volcano or Los Suenus Marriott Resort and Golf, which is apx 40+ miles from SJO. And is on the way to Manual Antoino Park in Queppos and a few mins drive from Jaco Beach (surf city) although LS isnt on the beach itself its not far from one which is down a side road from the hotel we walked it

I wasnt there in a number of years when I was there I wouldnt have said its luxury in any sense of the word , but it was a very nice maintained place, very large twisting pools

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.