Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica Car Rental Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by manyloosescrews
Generally good experience with National, maybe it is Emerald Executive that gives the extra bit. Never had a problem with our letter from Amex either(even when I wasn't able to print it this last time and had to present it on my phone). Remembering the harrowing bus rides from a decade before, the first time back we rented a car doing the full deal, I didn't have any regrets about it. Not being as bad as I remembered we use credit card coverage and the TPL. We also don't hang out in the cities FWIW. LIR has been easier to deal with than SJO, just do the documentation and go over the car with extra care. Bumpers and the space between the doors and roof in particular.

Chase Saphire Reserve card NO LONGer allows National discount at 25% nor executive membership since the contract expired.

Chase also in benefits is confused as to if CSR card, Infinite VISA card, allows primary coverage in Costa Rica.

Sound like Chase doesn't understand card benefits.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Originally Posted by manyloosescrews
Generally good experience with National, maybe it is Emerald Executive that gives the extra bit. Never had a problem with our letter from Amex either(even when I wasn't able to print it this last time and had to present it on my phone). Remembering the harrowing bus rides from a decade before, the first time back we rented a car doing the full deal, I didn't have any regrets about it. Not being as bad as I remembered we use credit card coverage and the TPL. We also don't hang out in the cities FWIW. LIR has been easier to deal with than SJO, just do the documentation and go over the car with extra care. Bumpers and the space between the doors and roof in particular.
Did you have to buy any local/forced insurance at all with rental from National? Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:11 pm

We purchased the full package the first time round, I wasn't sure what to expect and we were starting off at SJO in the middle of the night. Didn't feel forced, but they use hard sales tactics. Every other time, it has been at LIR and it's pretty laid back in my experience.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by klakhav
Did you have to buy any local/forced insurance at all with rental from National? Thanks
Just to backtrack here for a moment.

There is a mandatory minimum 3P insurance you will have to buy. No matter who you rent with, it's always going to be forced.

It protects other drivers and property. The law goes and cancel whatever insurance your bank might offer.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Originally Posted by klakhav
Yes, you MUST accept their third party liability product. It covers 80% of damages, the other 20% should be paid by the driver up to a maximum of USD 5,000. Deposit is $500.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Color me a bit confused here. I have a pretty cheap Avis rental for an X-Trail or similar booked via Priceline. The Priceline voucher clearly states "Included Free: Third-Party Liability". When searching for the rental confirmation on the Avis side, I get the confusing mess:
  • PDW is the mandatory minimum, but it could possibly be waived with credit card coverage.
  • If PDW (or LDW) is declined/waived, ALI (Additional Liability Insurance) coverage is mandatory.
The entire car rental from Priceline is less than what a normal TPL would be for the rental period, so I guess I'm just a bit confused. If going with the Priceline confirmation says, I should be able to avoid all additional insurance sells once we get to the counter, right? But if going with what the Avis confirmation side says (which admittedly, maybe I shouldn't even be looking at...they hide the actual Avis confirmation number pretty well), I would have to pay for "ALI".

Any guesses at what I'll encounter?

Last edited by murphyUA; Dec 1, 2020 at 10:58 am
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:44 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by murphyUA
Color me a bit confused here. I have a pretty cheap Avis rental for an X-Trail or similar booked via Priceline. The Priceline voucher clearly states "Included Free: Third-Party Liability". When searching for the rental confirmation on the Avis side, I get the confusing mess:
  • PDW is the mandatory minimum, but it could possibly be waived with credit card coverage.
  • If PDW (or LDW) is declined/waived, ALI (Additional Liability Insurance) coverage is mandatory.
The entire car rental from Priceline is less than what a normal TPL would be for the rental period, so I guess I'm just a bit confused. If going with the Priceline confirmation says, I should be able to avoid all additional insurance sells once we get to the counter, right? But if going with what the Avis confirmation side says (which admittedly, maybe I shouldn't even be looking at...they hide the actual Avis confirmation number pretty well), I would have to pay for "ALI".

Any guesses at what I'll encounter?
I am not sure based on your description what will happen, but if you haven't already, you may want to review the extensive threads on TripAdvisor about renting a car in CR. That forum is pretty active. There are many reports of people with third-party bookings being surprised at the rental counter to find the agent requiring them to buy the additional insurance, and at significant cost. Not sure if your specific situation has been discussed there before.

Have you tried calling Avis customer service in CR to see if they can give an answer?

We just did a rental with National last week in CR. I paid for full coverage, though, so it was no issue.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by nnn
I am not sure based on your description what will happen, but if you haven't already, you may want to review the extensive threads on TripAdvisor about renting a car in CR. That forum is pretty active. There are many reports of people with third-party bookings being surprised at the rental counter to find the agent requiring them to buy the additional insurance, and at significant cost. Not sure if your specific situation has been discussed there before.

Have you tried calling Avis customer service in CR to see if they can give an answer?

We just did a rental with National last week in CR. I paid for full coverage, though, so it was no issue.
Thanks. Yeah, I've done a bit of reading. I'm fine with buying the additional Govt mandated Third Party Liability, but I guess now that I see it "included" it confused me.
nnn likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by nnn

After researching more on the TA forum (thanks for the suggestion), decided to forego the Avis/Priceline booking and book with Adobe. Looks like it should be a much more pleasant/less stressful experience, so thanks!
nnn likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
One of the most common complaints that travelers to Costa Rica have is trying to figure out what car rental will cost. It often turns out to me much more than originally quoted when arranged through a third party like Priceline or Expedia. Even booking directly with Adobe (good move, I think), make it clear in advance that you want to know what your final bill will be.

1) There are mandatory insurances that you must purchase. That's the source of most confusion.

2) You'll pay a 13% sales tax.

3) If you rent from an airport agency, you'll pay an extra 14% airport concourse tax. Neither SJO nor LIR has a car-rental lot in the airport itself. They might be several miles from the airport, but you'll pay that fee.

4) An additional driver will always cost $10-$20 extra per day. (You refer to "we," so there's someone else on the trip too?) Spouses are never included at no extra cost the way they are in the US.

5) You pay a "license plate tax" of about $2 a day.

6) Depending on how dirty the car is when you return it, you might be assessed a cleaning fee.

Non-agency costs:

7) Gas is sold by the liter. The price converts to about $3.50 per gallon.

8) You really need to be careful about where you park. If you're in a city, you need to use a secure, guarded lot. That could cost $20-$30 a day.

9) Traffic fines are some of the highest in the world. Even though it appears that Costa Ricans ignore them, you should not. Obey traffic laws religiously. You'll never be able to skip out of a ticket. The matter gets back to the rental agency if you've tried, and they'll bill it to your credit card.
24.05.2004 and nnn like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by SJOGuy

3) If you rent from an airport agency, you'll pay an extra 14% airport concourse tax. Neither SJO nor LIR has a car-rental lot in the airport itself. They might be several miles from the airport, but you'll pay that fee.
That's a great synopsis of the situation.

Regarding the concourse tax: if you're spending your first night near the airport, Adobe and Toyota will deliver your car to you for free and you save the 14% airport tax.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I just completed a weeks rental from Adobe at SJO and found them a pleasure to do business with. Really a first class operation I experienced. Picking up the car was very professional with none of the shenanigans I have read of or that I have experienced else where in Latin America. I declined the LDW online when making the reservation because I was using Chase Sapphire Preferred, and there was no hassle about that or any other insurance except the mandatory liability which was clearly priced up front making the reservation. Car was in great shape and they thoroughly went over it with me marking any defect. Alas, I returned the car to them with some new damaged that was clearly my responsibility. I hit some piece of metal that flew off some truck or something, which ripped the plastic wheel well liner and son trim off the rental car. To be honest I assessed it as fairly and realistically like $500 of damage. I wouldn't have balked to much if someone assessed it as $1000 damage and I was gearing up to push the claim through Chases LDW insurance. Adobe however assessed it as $52 damage. Settled it on the spot with proper documentation that I will still probably even get my $52 from Chase insurance. The true judge of a company is not when everything goes right but when there is a problem that is not even their responsibility and they go out of there way to make it better. I couldn't think of enough nice things to say about how the do business. Start to finish they really made a fantastic impression.
Redhead, nnn and ariel_sjo like this.

Last edited by Mabuk dan gila; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:03 pm Reason: LDW, not CDW ;-)
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I just completed a weeks rental from Adobe at SJO and found them a pleasure to do business with. Really a first class operation I experienced. Picking up the car was very professional with none of the shenanigans I have read of or that I have experienced else where in Latin America. I declined the CDW online when making the reservation because I was using Chase Sapphire Preferred, and there was no hassle about that or any other insurance except the mandatory liability which was clearly priced up front making the reservation. Car was in great shape and they thoroughly went over it with me marking any defect. Alas, I returned the car to them with some new damaged that was clearly my responsibility. I hit some piece of metal that flew off some truck or something, which ripped the plastic wheel well liner and son trim off the rental car. To be honest I assessed it as fairly and realistically like $500 of damage. I wouldn't have balked to much if someone assessed it as $1000 damage and I was gearing up to push the claim through Chases CDW insurance. Adobe however assessed it as $52 damage. Settled it on the spot with proper documentation that I will still probably even get my $52 from Chase insurance. The true judge of a company is not when everything goes right but when there is a problem that is not even their responsibility and they go out of there way to make it better. I couldn't think of enough nice things to say about how the do business. Start to finish they really made a fantastic impression.
I have rented with Adobe several times. Their service is usually very good. They have low deposit amounts as well. The $52 they quoted is not the full damage, is the 20% deductible, because Adobe always includes CDW, there is no option to decline, but in case the damage is $260, still is a very comprehensive amount. Once I scratched a rear bumper on a National/Alamo Toyota Corolla, and they charged me $800, just for the repair.

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Dec 28, 2020 at 9:21 pm
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
I have rented with Adobe several times. Their service is usually very good. They have low deposit amounts as well. The $52 they quoted is not the full damage, is the 20% deductible, because Adobe always includes CDW, there is no option to decline, but in case the damage is $260, still is a very compressive amount. Once I scratched a rear bumper on a National/Alamo Toyota Corolla, and they charged me $800, just for the repair.

I said CDW but actually I meant the LDW which I declined. My final invoice had amounts only for "Alquiler" (rental), PLI (the mandatory liability only insurance at $13.56/day). No option to decline this but it was up front in the reservation process. and "Danos" (damage I did to thier car). There was 13% "Impuesto" (tax) on the total. I assume(???) this was Sales Tax and NOT a 14% airport concourse tax. LDW was $0.00, SPP was $0.00, all other itemized price categories were $0.00. There was no "license plate tax". If there was any sort of other costs, it was all transparently rolled into the up front daily rental price which was low compared to the competitors. Adding my girlfriend on the contract as a second driver was free as well. Plus they gave me a free SIM card, bottle of hand sanitizer and a cool paper road map which I haven't seen a proper paper road map for a few decades now. Not a big deal but really nice little touches.

A question that comes to mind from reading this thread. 14% airport concourse tax? This does not appear on my invoice though I rented from SJO on arrival. I noticed that Adobe does not have a rental counter inside the terminal alongside the other rental agencies. Instead they have you meet the shuttle driver with a signboard outside the terminal in the public greeting area and drive you to the rental office. Is this dodging the concourse tax? Otherwise it is just included in the rental price which appeared consistent on airport or off airport.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I said CDW but actually I meant the LDW which I declined. My final invoice had amounts only for "Alquiler" (rental), PLI (the mandatory liability only insurance at $13.56/day). No option to decline this but it was up front in the reservation process. and "Danos" (damage I did to thier car). There was 13% "Impuesto" (tax) on the total. I assume(???) this was Sales Tax and NOT a 14% airport concourse tax. LDW was $0.00, SPP was $0.00, all other itemized price categories were $0.00. There was no "license plate tax". If there was any sort of other costs, it was all transparently rolled into the up front daily rental price which was low compared to the competitors. Adding my girlfriend on the contract as a second driver was free as well. Plus they gave me a free SIM card, bottle of hand sanitizer and a cool paper road map which I haven't seen a proper paper road map for a few decades now. Not a big deal but really nice little touches.

A question that comes to mind from reading this thread. 14% airport concourse tax? This does not appear on my invoice though I rented from SJO on arrival. I noticed that Adobe does not have a rental counter inside the terminal alongside the other rental agencies. Instead they have you meet the shuttle driver with a signboard outside the terminal in the public greeting area and drive you to the rental office. Is this dodging the concourse tax? Otherwise it is just included in the rental price which appeared consistent on airport or off airport.
That's correct. You can decline LDW, but you can't decline CDW, because they really offer what they call the "Paquete Basico", which includes CDW with 20% deductible + PLI. Interesting they don't charge the airport license/concession fee. That's very good! And their fleet is very new. The only thing is that there is a significant fare difference between manual and automatic transmission cars. I usually rent their Hyundau i10 Sedan automatic.I think is the best car for the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.