Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica Car Rental Experiences

Costa Rica Car Rental Experiences

Reply

Old Jan 7, 19, 10:01 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seattle, WA. USA
Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Posts: 751
Originally Posted by manyloosescrews View Post
Generally good experience with National, maybe it is Emerald Executive that gives the extra bit. Never had a problem with our letter from Amex either(even when I wasn't able to print it this last time and had to present it on my phone). Remembering the harrowing bus rides from a decade before, the first time back we rented a car doing the full deal, I didn't have any regrets about it. Not being as bad as I remembered we use credit card coverage and the TPL. We also don't hang out in the cities FWIW. LIR has been easier to deal with than SJO, just do the documentation and go over the car with extra care. Bumpers and the space between the doors and roof in particular.

Chase Saphire Reserve card NO LONGer allows National discount at 25% nor executive membership since the contract expired.

Chase also in benefits is confused as to if CSR card, Infinite VISA card, allows primary coverage in Costa Rica.

Sound like Chase doesn't understand card benefits.
euromannn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:48 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Greensboro, NC
Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by manyloosescrews View Post
Generally good experience with National, maybe it is Emerald Executive that gives the extra bit. Never had a problem with our letter from Amex either(even when I wasn't able to print it this last time and had to present it on my phone). Remembering the harrowing bus rides from a decade before, the first time back we rented a car doing the full deal, I didn't have any regrets about it. Not being as bad as I remembered we use credit card coverage and the TPL. We also don't hang out in the cities FWIW. LIR has been easier to deal with than SJO, just do the documentation and go over the car with extra care. Bumpers and the space between the doors and roof in particular.
Did you have to buy any local/forced insurance at all with rental from National? Thanks
klakhav is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:11 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
We purchased the full package the first time round, I wasn't sure what to expect and we were starting off at SJO in the middle of the night. Didn't feel forced, but they use hard sales tactics. Every other time, it has been at LIR and it's pretty laid back in my experience.
manyloosescrews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:52 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 498
Originally Posted by klakhav View Post
Did you have to buy any local/forced insurance at all with rental from National? Thanks
Just to backtrack here for a moment.

There is a mandatory minimum 3P insurance you will have to buy. No matter who you rent with, it's always going to be forced.

It protects other drivers and property. The law goes and cancel whatever insurance your bank might offer.
Redwood839 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:37 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SJO
Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Radisson Gold
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by klakhav View Post
Did you have to buy any local/forced insurance at all with rental from National? Thanks
Yes, you MUST accept their third party liability product. It covers 80% of damages, the other 20% should be paid by the driver up to a maximum of USD 5,000. Deposit is $500.
ariel_sjo is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: