Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica Car Rental Experiences

Costa Rica Car Rental Experiences

Old Jan 7, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by manyloosescrews View Post
Generally good experience with National, maybe it is Emerald Executive that gives the extra bit. Never had a problem with our letter from Amex either(even when I wasn't able to print it this last time and had to present it on my phone). Remembering the harrowing bus rides from a decade before, the first time back we rented a car doing the full deal, I didn't have any regrets about it. Not being as bad as I remembered we use credit card coverage and the TPL. We also don't hang out in the cities FWIW. LIR has been easier to deal with than SJO, just do the documentation and go over the car with extra care. Bumpers and the space between the doors and roof in particular.

Chase Saphire Reserve card NO LONGer allows National discount at 25% nor executive membership since the contract expired.

Chase also in benefits is confused as to if CSR card, Infinite VISA card, allows primary coverage in Costa Rica.

Sound like Chase doesn't understand card benefits.
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Originally Posted by manyloosescrews View Post
Generally good experience with National, maybe it is Emerald Executive that gives the extra bit. Never had a problem with our letter from Amex either(even when I wasn't able to print it this last time and had to present it on my phone). Remembering the harrowing bus rides from a decade before, the first time back we rented a car doing the full deal, I didn't have any regrets about it. Not being as bad as I remembered we use credit card coverage and the TPL. We also don't hang out in the cities FWIW. LIR has been easier to deal with than SJO, just do the documentation and go over the car with extra care. Bumpers and the space between the doors and roof in particular.
Did you have to buy any local/forced insurance at all with rental from National? Thanks
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:11 pm

We purchased the full package the first time round, I wasn't sure what to expect and we were starting off at SJO in the middle of the night. Didn't feel forced, but they use hard sales tactics. Every other time, it has been at LIR and it's pretty laid back in my experience.
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by klakhav View Post
Did you have to buy any local/forced insurance at all with rental from National? Thanks
Just to backtrack here for a moment.

There is a mandatory minimum 3P insurance you will have to buy. No matter who you rent with, it's always going to be forced.

It protects other drivers and property. The law goes and cancel whatever insurance your bank might offer.
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:37 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by klakhav View Post
Yes, you MUST accept their third party liability product. It covers 80% of damages, the other 20% should be paid by the driver up to a maximum of USD 5,000. Deposit is $500.