Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel near PTY (in the 1980s)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Hotel near PTY (in the 1980s)

Could someone help me with the following historical information?

I am looking for the name of a hotel that was located near PTY (then Omar Torrijos) in 1983. It was the closest hotel to the airport at the time. In the coming years but definitely before 1987 the hotel was no longer available to the general public and became some sort of military/government resort.

Tried google but could not find anything. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:00 am

You are probably looking for the La Siesta Hotel. It was turned into some military recreational centre during the Noriega days, and was destroyed during the US invasion in 1989.
Hope this helps!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA
La Siesta

That's great information. However, if I google it, I find a TripAdvisor posting that suggests the La Siesta was renamed Riande at some point, and the photos that pop up seem to show a very similar odd-angled pool and low portico like at the current Riande.

Maybe it survived Just Cause?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Originally Posted by marcuswelby
You are probably looking for the La Siesta Hotel. It was turned into some military recreational centre during the Noriega days, and was destroyed during the US invasion in 1989.
Hope this helps!
La Siesta. That's it. Thanks a lot.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
I always knew this property as the Riande Hotel Aeropuerto. A high end property in the early 90s, like its counterpart Riande Continental in El Cangrejo.
My mom's bank used to have their family day/employee party day/field day there in the early 90s. Always fun, except that one time some kid threw up in the pool.
Operation Just Cause destroyed one neighborhood at the other end of the city. This hotel didn't get damaged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.