Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROATAN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
Question ROATAN

Hi there,
I'll be in RTB in 2 weeks for a one week vacations (in the WEST BAY area).
3 questions :
Should I change money to LEMPIRA's or is the US$ accepted everywhere(shops,restaurants).
Do they accept C.C.
Are there ATM machines in the WEST BAY area .

Thanks in advance
Michael
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: BA AA Delta Midwest
[QUOTE=yulmichael;27522846]Hi there,
I'll be in RTB in 2 weeks for a one week vacations (in the WEST BAY area).
3 questions :
Should I change money to LEMPIRA's or is the US$ accepted everywhere(shops,restaurants).
Do they accept C.C.
Are there ATM machines in the WEST BAY area .
Some places take Credit Cards. Most cash. Hope for good weather. First clear day in 2 weeks yesterday. Diving always great.

US $'s good, but not bigger than $20 and good condition.
Some ATM problems. Use $'s then spend the Limps you get for change.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We're just departing after a week and never saw a lempira. Stores and restaurants all took a credit card and with Citi I don't pay fees. The water taxi is slightly more than expensive with dollars, but are still cheap. When I paid with currency in a restaurant I just left the change for the server. There are ATMs about but are known to be unreliable. I did try to take money out at the airport, and the machine said transaction complete but no money came out. I was sure I'd been scammed and have been watching my accounts like a hawk, but all has been fine.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:51 am
Suspended

Don't use an ATM there. Plenty of them are compromised. Paypal is taken at most places. VISA isnt' always accepted and there can be fees. If you're staying at the very resorty places, they tend to be more credit card friendly but not nearly as fun usually.

The only places that will crack $100 USD usually is a busy bar with foreigners. The per capita income in Honduras is $2400 USD, so it's a lot of cash there. Take $20's, if your wallet gets wet and the bills get torn merchants won't accept them.

You don't need limps. You'll get them as change in some places. Take what reasonable cash you need. if a place will take a credit card (or paypal) do that and save your cash. You really don't want to try one of those bank machines.

Exercise some basic caution. It's not a dangerous place, but don't tempt fate. Don't flash a lot of cash or jewelery (not that many people wear it anymore) and use common sense.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:50 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In spite of this thread being months old, the title couldn't be clearer...

wondering if anyone can suggest some over-water type of accommodations in Roatán/the Bay Islands. The lady specifically wants to stay in one of those (similar to those frequently photographed in Tahiti); not even sure if the Bay Islands have them.

Also, is the airport departure tax included in all flights from Honduras?

TIA,
BmB

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; May 25, 2017 at 5:06 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BA AA Delta Midwest
Anthony's Key Resort has a small island off the shore that you can stay in small cottages right at the edge of the water, not in the water like you are asking about. Go on the deck of the cottage and you are over the water with some of the places. Lots of photos of the place on line. It is mostly a diving resort. Snorkel boats also. It is away from the West End or West Bay action on the road from the airport to West End. Stayed there is 2004, now we just spend winters in West End. Not sure if there are any places to stay like you are asking about other than Anthony's Key.
We use the ATM inside the gas station just before getting into West End and never had a problem in the last 3 winters. The open air ATM that use to be at Coconut Tree is long gone. That was the one that had the most problems. There is another ATM on the main street in a small booth I have never used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.