Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica in October? And where to stay.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Wife and I are looking at Costa Rica in October (good flight deals). How is the weather this time of year? When they say rainy season is it constant or an hour cool down once a day or mult. rain storms every day?

Also, we are thinking of staying at the Four Seasons. Is it THAT out of the way where you wouldn't experience the "real" country or is it not that bad? Right now they are running stay 4 get the 5th free. We were also contemplating staying somewhere cheaper for a few days elsewhere in the country and then ending the trip at the FS.

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2014, 2:52 pm

That hotel is in a corner of Costa Rica. Not much there except the hotel and some nice, but small beaches. Not a lot of people either, and that can be good. Near the FS you could go to Rincon de la Vieja for a day. In that area is also a little river trip done in fancy innertubes that people seem to enjoy (the river is tiny).

Snorkeling is very good at Playa Ocotal. The sunset catamaran tour out of Playa Coco is excellent, and includes a visit to a pretty little beach and good snorkeling in a safe area. Playa Conchal is pretty and has some snorkeling. I think the best beach town and area for the "real CR" is at Samara. It's popular with Ticos as well as international travelers. The Tree House Inn is wonderful. You open up your windows and you are on the beach, and you'll hear the waves all night.

Monteverde is worth the trouble to get to, for a 2-day trip. Selvatura is a very good to experience the area.

Yes, October is usually the wettest month of the year, and it can rain constantly for 1-3 days at a time, although that part of Guanacaste tends to get less rain than the central and southern parts of the country at that time of year. Outside of Papagayo you won't need reservations at that time of year. September is (usually) significantly drier than October, and November is a transition to the dry season that begins sometime in December.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Central America Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old May 7, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
October can be a washout or it might not be. That may be the driest part of the country, but it still gets a LOT of rain during the autumn of the year. Here's the way I look at it: People still do come here to Costa Rica during October and the nature activities go on rain or shine. But if you have your heart set on enjoying the beach, then October is a risky month to travel to Costa Rica.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:56 am

At least it's a warm rain! :-)
Old May 8, 2014, 10:26 am

Even though there are other activities, someone who elects to stay at the Four Seasons or one of the resorts on the N Pacific coast is probably looking for a beachy-type vacation. In October, weather is likely going to interfere with those plans. There's a reason you can find deals that time of year.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:45 am

We always go to CR for a month in July/August. That time of year offers a lull in the rains of June and beginning again in late August, nothing is crowded, it's not hot because it is the one of the coolest parts of the year that's not raining, and flights are reasonably priced, e.g. JetBlue and others have RT for well under $1k. We're going 1st/Business RT SFO/SJO for $1k/pp. Most years, we lose only one or two days in that month due to rain, and most of the time we just go ahead a do what we were going to do anyway. The trick is to bring a light rain jacket with you-then you can be sure it won't rain!
Old May 8, 2014, 9:38 pm

We're in the transition between dry and rainy seasons right now. I love this time of year. March and April are hot, dry, and dusty. The rains have just started and they clear the air. It's very refreshing.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA
The FS is out of the way, and you are locked in to $25 cheeseburgers for lunch. I have been in many of the luxury hotels in CR, and it is the least Costa Rican of any of them. It's nice, sure, but it's not unique. And it is out of the way, big time, if you like to go out to eat. You're 45 minutes from Liberia, and at least 30 from any authentic local places. Try El Mangroove in Playa Panama for a more authentic luxury experience closer to local optinions.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
I have the same question. Looking for something modern with well appointed suites, close to city life, thinking Aloft?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.