Driving in Costa Rica?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in Costa Rica?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
Driving in CR is no issue while you're OUTSIDE San Jose. The only problem are rent-a-cars, they try to sell all of their expensive coverages. They hate when you decline their CDW through the credit card insurance, plus the insane deposits.
I don't mean to piggyback on someone else's thread but...our flight arrives in SJO @ 4:40pm, and we're planning on finding a resort/spa near the Arenal volcano/hot springs. Would we be crazy to leave out from SJO after our flight, or do we need to grab a room near the airport then head out first thing in the morning?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Originally Posted by chevy454
I don't mean to piggyback on someone else's thread but...our flight arrives in SJO @ 4:40pm, and we're planning on finding a resort/spa near the Arenal volcano/hot springs. Would we be crazy to leave out from SJO after our flight, or do we need to grab a room near the airport then head out first thing in the morning?
Def take a room the first night near SJO. The drive to Arenal could take about 2:30 hrs. It will be brutal after an international flight.
Old May 23, 2022, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We're staying in downtown San Jose for 2 nights and then headed out to the Pacific coast (Jaco) for 3 nights.

How difficult is it to pick up a rental car near downtown San Jose, drive straight out of town to the national highway, and on to the coast? Same question for the return - we'd drive straight into town to the Hertz location and drop off the car.

Is it just a lot of traffic, or is it outrageously confusing in San Jose, even with Google Maps? I've driven in big cities before and driven in a bunch of different countries. I can handle Paris level of traffic but not, say, Lima or Cairo.

I guess an alternative is to take a taxi out to the airport and rent from there, but that seems like overkill if the goal is merely to escape some traffic. I would be driving midday both going and coming.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
We're staying in downtown San Jose for 2 nights and then headed out to the Pacific coast (Jaco) for 3 nights.

How difficult is it to pick up a rental car near downtown San Jose, drive straight out of town to the national highway, and on to the coast? Same question for the return - we'd drive straight into town to the Hertz location and drop off the car.

Is it just a lot of traffic, or is it outrageously confusing in San Jose, even with Google Maps? I've driven in big cities before and driven in a bunch of different countries. I can handle Paris level of traffic but not, say, Lima or Cairo.

I guess an alternative is to take a taxi out to the airport and rent from there, but that seems like overkill if the goal is merely to escape some traffic. I would be driving midday both going and coming.
A few winters ago we flew into SJO; we landed early evening and by the time we left the rental car place it was dark and raining, and I had an issue with my google maps and I immediately made a wrong turn out of the rental car place into rush hour traffic. The city traffic was a mess, but doable, and once we got our bearings we we found our hotel. Driving in Costa Rica is one of our favorite experiences traveling. Knowing what I do now, and being experienced with offline Google maps internationally (I’m typing this from Athens, GR) I think it would be a nothing burger.

As someone said above, they will automatically charge you for everything at the rental car place, but stand your ground and have your paperwork to back it up and it’ll be fine.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

You should be fine. Some car companies will deliver the rental car to your hotel as well.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I would advise to watch the speed limits as they are big on that. The roads were decent in my experience
Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like in every other bigger city, it can be busy in San Jose. I don't use Google Maps, but it was fine with Waze. Follow the directions, and you will get to your destination just fine. I recommend driving during the day as the roads are not the best. Too many potholes can't be seen easily in the dark. The same applies to the roads in the whole country.
We picked up the car at the airport. The rental company (we used Avis, not sure about Hertz, but I reckon it's the same) has a car that picks up the customers at the airport and also drops them there.
All locals ignored the speed limits We were told they were just for tourists.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by chevy454
A few winters ago we flew into SJO; we landed early evening and by the time we left the rental car place it was dark and raining, and I had an issue with my google maps and I immediately made a wrong turn out of the rental car place into rush hour traffic. The city traffic was a mess, but doable, and once we got our bearings we we found our hotel. Driving in Costa Rica is one of our favorite experiences traveling. Knowing what I do now, and being experienced with offline Google maps internationally (I’m typing this from Athens, GR) I think it would be a nothing burger.

As someone said above, they will automatically charge you for everything at the rental car place, but stand your ground and have your paperwork to back it up and it’ll be fine.
I should clarify my post above just a bit more: other than the (expected) traffic in SJO and the wrong turn (my fault) it was no big deal. We drove all over the country for 10 days before flying out of LIR, and it's been one of our favorite memories. Once out of the city traffic it's a nothing burger, and it's a great way to see a great country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.