Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Would You Feel Safe Taking a Trip to Honduras?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would You Feel Safe Taking a Trip to Honduras?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Much better choice given the limited time. Fly into MGA, but head right to Granada. It's about an hour from the airport. Do Masaya as your trip from there.

But, once again, it'll be the holidays. Make lodging and transport reservations in advance.
Already got a reservation at the Hilton Managua. It might be a bit far from Granada but it's a great rate and I need more stays/nights to requalify.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
If that's what works for you, that's fine. This will be a much more manageable trip than Copan would have been given the time you have.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If that's what works for you, that's fine. This will be a much more manageable trip than Copan would have been given the time you have.
I was thinking the same thing and I've heard a lot of positives. It looks like it's about 90 miles to the Costa Rican border and a town called La Cruz so maybe I'll drive down there too just cause.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:10 pm

No. Don't do that. Now you're starting to make it too complicated again.

1) La Cruz isn't that interesting.

2) You say "drive down there." You can't take a Nicaraguan rental car across the border.

3) You basically have two full days. There's more than enough to see and do in Nicaragua to keep you occupied.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

2) You say "drive down there." You can't take a Nicaraguan rental car across the border.

3) You basically have two full days. There's more than enough to see and do in Nicaragua to keep you occupied.
Alright fair enough, sorry I tend to overthink a lot of things which is why I rely on FT to keep me grounded. Though as to your second point, you actually can. It's in the the terms of my rental contract:

Cross border traffic is not allowed into South America and Mexico. Cars allowed into all Central American countries. Permit to drive outside the country (to Central American Nations) = 50.00 non-taxable. Call 011-505-255-9000 (from U.S. call 305-537-1374) for cost and requirements between the hours of 0800 - 1800 Mountain time.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:40 pm

Are you sure you wouldn't be switching vehicles at the border? Both Budget and Alamo have such arrangements (at additional cost), but the car does not and cannot cross the border. (I see that is the Budget number.) I seriously question if Costa Rica would let you drive in and out in a foreign vehicle that is not registered to you.

Whether this is possible or not, you're adding in too much complexity if you try to include Costa Rica in this trip.

Call 011-505-255-9000
Nicaraguan phone numbers have eight digits. That should be 2255-9000
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Are you sure you wouldn't be switching vehicles at the border? Both Budget and Alamo have such arrangements (at additional cost), but the car does not and cannot cross the border. (I see that is the Budget number.) I seriously question if Costa Rica would let you drive in and out in a foreign vehicle that is not registered to you.

Whether this is possible or not, you're adding in too much complexity if you try to include Costa Rica in this trip.

Nicaraguan phone numbers have eight digits. That should be 2255-9000
Don't worry I'll be sticking to Nicaragua and all it has to offer I promise! Really starting to get excited...guess I should get me a guide book
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
The Hilton is in a nice area and 45 mins. or less to Granada, Masaya or Laguna de Apoyo. Those places should easily keep you busy for a few days.

I lived in Nicaragua 2 years, if you have any specific questions I can help you with, feel free to ask.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone again for all their help and input in this thread.

I drove out to RDU earlier today and am ticketed for Nicaragua! Arriving at 2 PM on 12/26 and leaving at 3 PM 12/29. Y down (for now, upgrades requested) and C back. Three nights at the Managua Hilton and a car with guaranteed automatic from Budget. Should be a great trip!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:32 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was thinking the same thing and I've heard a lot of positives. It looks like it's about 90 miles to the Costa Rican border and a town called La Cruz so maybe I'll drive down there too just cause.

Fortunately you've already been talked out of this plan. I fully agree with SJOguy.

To add to his advice for anyone consulting this thread in the future:

1) central American border crossings can be unpredictable. They might be fast with no lines, however it's safer to assume inefficiency and a long wait.

2) I don't recall this road in particular, but in general a statement like "it's only 90 miles"doesn't belong in the larger context of central America. 90 miles in Nicaragua is an entirely different thing than 90 miles in most of the US.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Fortunately you've already been talked out of this plan. I fully agree with SJOguy.

To add to his advice for anyone consulting this thread in the future:

1) central American border crossings can be unpredictable. They might be fast with no lines, however it's safer to assume inefficiency and a long wait.

2) I don't recall this road in particular, but in general a statement like "it's only 90 miles"doesn't belong in the larger context of central America. 90 miles in Nicaragua is an entirely different thing than 90 miles in most of the US.
Don't worry that's why I learned long ago to always come to FT for advice, especially about stuff I don't really know much about, like Central America. So I appreciate all the advice and am looking forward to three days in Nicaragua. ^
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
You can easily see the "highlights" in MGA in a day. No reason to spend the night there -- spend a night in Granada instead, tour the isletas, and maybe stop in Masaya on the way down or back. Then spend a night in Leon, which is less touristy. These days Nicaragua gets lots of international visitors.

Next time don't miss out on Honduras, there's plenty to see. If you like cities, TGU is interesting -- perhaps not the most interesting in Latin America, but worth a visit for a more authentic experience. Stay away from Comayaguela and walk around during the day and you'll be fine. Valle de Angeles outside town is also worth a visit.

SAP is less interesting and more industrial, but can be used as a base for Lake Yojoa, Tela, Copan, etc., so you'll likely pass through at some point if you visit. Have never had a problem there.

El Salvador is also definitely worth a visit. Not many tourists and it's small, so distances are short. Enjoy!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:30 pm

Went with a tour group through Central America for a month several years ago. Did not appear to be any security issues in Honduras, we went to Copan and Roatan. Although I must say that Tegucigalpa did not appear to be too safe to walk alone at night. Really enjoyed Nicagargua, especially Granada and Ometepe Island.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vm00
Went with a tour group through Central America for a month several years ago. Did not appear to be any security issues in Honduras, we went to Copan and Roatan. Although I must say that Tegucigalpa did not appear to be too safe to walk alone at night. Really enjoyed Nicagargua, especially Granada and Ometepe Island.
Glad to hear that! Welcome to Flyertalk, I see you're a fellow Bull City resident, always good to have more of those.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Avis 1st
I lived in Honduras for a number of years in the 90s and have kept in close touch with friends. The State Dept warnings for Honduras should be heeded in this case. I have spent time in Tegucigalpa and SPS and can't think of any reason I would want go there now (my trips to the mainland were business-related). Now granted this was sometime ago, when it was considered so-so safe, when you had to watch yourself. When I went I had a local bodyguard of sorts who accompanied and drove me around. Now it's very very bad in both those cities based on the opinions of my Honduran friends. Much drug and gang crime as well as growing poverty.

If you are set on going to Honduras, consider hoping over to the Bay Islands. Roatan is easy to get to, and the outlying islands of Guanaja and Utila are more private. You'll find some of the most beautiful beaches and coral reef in the Western hemisphere. There has been much real estate and tourism development in Roatan since I lived there, when desolate white sand beaches with giant Atlantic coconut palms were the norm, but even still it's really beautiful.

Though not as safe as in the past, the coastal towns of La Ceiba and Trujillo are interesting and fairly laid back. There are some dramatic mountains outside of La Ceiba and there is a fast river where you can go white water rafting. No beaches in either of these towns. Very inexpensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.