Wiki Posts
Search

Quality of life in Panama

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Quality of life in Panama

I've been offered the opportunity to move to Panama for a few years. At this point I'm evaluating wether it would be a good move or not. On one hand I've heard from a lot of expat that it is a great place to live but on the other hand crime seems rampant.

Have any of you lived in Panama? Would you recommend it? Did you feel safe there?

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: CO Gold
where do you live right now? perhaps that way some people can compare your current situation versus PTY

would you live in the capital or near it ?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Right now I live near Shanghai in China but I'm originally from Canada. I would live in Panama city but at this point I'm not sure in which part of the city. I've lived in many countries in the last few years but they have all been east Asian and western European countries so generally very safe. I'm not worried about the language barrier (I speak some Spanish) or wether I can make local friends, what I'm worried about is safety. I know I won't enjoy the experience if I feel unsafe.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Panama City is quite safe in many areas. It is also quite expensive compared to the rest of the country. I really liked Panama City and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a good place to live as long as the person has a good income.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:58 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I've always found Panama City to be quite safe. Maybe I've been lucky?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
There are parts of Panama City where you just don't go, period. Outside of those, I find the city to be quite safe ... you know, with the normal precautions one takes in a large city.

As mentioned, it's an expensive place to live. Make sure you have a decent source of income.

It's also very hot there year round. Don't even think about such a move unless you can cope with high temperatures.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
It's also very hot there year round. Don't even think about such a move unless you can cope with high temperatures.
And a factor to consider is that high temps on vacation are another thing altogether from high temps in a business environment and in business dress. Not sure what the norm is in Panama, but many Brazilians dress for business in a suit and tie (or business-dressy-dress/suit and pantyhose and heels for women) in weather I can hardly stand unless I'm in beach clothes.
But if the OP has lived in Asia, he should be familiar with high heat and humidity.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:42 am

Ive lived in Shanghai and currently living in Panama City so feel free to PM me for any questions you may have... Like any big city, there are no-go areas, but taking this into consideration, Panama City is one of the safest places places in this part of the world.

The city and country as a whole is booming. Seems like every week one multinational or NGO moves their regional HQ into town, with them bringing more foreigners to what is an already surprisingly cosmopolitan mix of peoples given a city its size.

Most likely your main gripes will be about the traffic (tons of infrastructure projects in place right now) and the muggy weather. But compared to Shanghai or any coastal Chinese city, it is much much bearable here.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by marcuswelby
Like any big city, there are no-go areas, but taking this into consideration, Panama City is one of the safest places places in this part of the world.
I think that sums it up very well ^ While I've only been once, I got a good vibe, and have friends/acquaintances who live/lived there, and really liked it.

If the pay were right, I'd do it in a heartbeat - and I'm an Asia kind of guy (but it's a moot point for me as I don't think I could get a job there in my field).

EmailKid
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Do it! It's a fun place and relatively affordable especially if you're coming from Shanghai. I have an office down there and am back and forth between there and Florida every month. I love it in Central America though so I may be a little bias, plus you are short cheap flights to weekend trips all around South America

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.