Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica currency

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Costa Rica currency

I have read that the US Dollar is accepted in most of CR. Is this true? Or should I exchange money at the airport?
Old May 16, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
It was widely accepted last Christmas when we were there...don't expect change in USD. 10K colones = $20usd ballpark. Nobody played "exchange rate" games with us when we used USD.

There is nothing wrong with the local currency, just get some Colones out of an ATM...that's going to be your best exchange rate period.

Enjoy your trip
Old May 16, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I agree that USD are widely accepted. I did have a couple of our guides drag their feet a little bit about accepting CC's though.

One nice thing that I found out on our return flight home is that you can use a combination of colones and other currencies to settle your departure fees at the SJO airport. I found that to be a good way to wipe out my remaining stash of CR currency.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by daffydevil
I have read that the US Dollar is accepted in most of CR. Is this true? Or should I exchange money at the airport?
I always get colones from the ATM at the airport, just so I have a few hundred $ worth on me. Most places do accept dollars, but I just think part of the fun of travel is learning a new currency, and acting more like a local than a tourist.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
Either use an ATM at the airport or use dollars. Do not exchange at the airport when you arrive. The exchange houses in the arrivals area at the airport have the worst exchange rate in the country by about 10%! Even the taxi drivers will give you a better deal. Almost all big grocery stores accept dollars now, although the change will be in colones.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:43 pm

Everyone took dollars when we were there in Feb....but do expect Colones back. Most places took credit card in the towns.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I always try to use local currency when I'm in a country. I'd at least get $100-$200 worth of colones out of an airport ATM. I've often found the local price cheaper than USD.

Ah, the good old days when I first went, it was 80 colones to 1 USD.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL
We've been here for several days bouncing around the central pacific coast. Have yet to find a place that didn't accept dollars, but as others have said, expect colones back. Exchange rate around the places we have gone in are anywhere from 480-500 colones per dollar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.