Search

Costa Rica - Caribbean coast in a week

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, Alaska
Costa Rica - Caribbean coast in a week

Hello,

I am going to Costa Rica in Aug, flying into SJO around noon on the 21st and flying out around noon on 27th. I want to go to Tortuguero, Puerto Viejo area and may be squeeze in a tour of Poas volcano if possible.

What I'm thinking is:

8/21 - Fly in. Night in Alajuela, visit Poas Volcano
8/22 - Bus to Puerto Viejo. Walk around parks/beaches
8/23 - Scuba/rafting trip from Puerto Viejo
8/24 - Boat journey to Tortuguero from Moin
8/25 - Tour of Tortuguero
8/26 - Boat/bus to San Jose. Explore the city
8/27 - Fly back home

For some reason I don't feel it is the best use of my time. Any suggestion? Should I visit Poas or go straight to Puerto Viejo on 21st? I haven't considered any weather related disruptions.

Also suggestions for budget places to stay and parks/beaches to visit in the south Caribbean will be very helpful.

Thank you.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I just got back from Puerto Viejo after two weeks there. Boy just going out driving makes me miss it! (I am Costa Rican)

what time does your flight land on the 21st?

Suggestions for parks/beaches

Cahuita, dont miss it, go through the main entrance, walk the trail, do the snorkeling tour (at the end of the trail), I went there and saw lots of things (sea urchins, about 7 nurse sharks, a barracuda, eagle ray , stingray etc)

Playa Negra in Puerto Viejo, Cocles (known as surfers break), Manzanillo (I didnt go to Punta Uva)

Jaguar Recovery Center (they dont have jaguars right now but expect to see monkeys and sloths)
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:08 pm

It's an hour drive to Poas from Alajuela; if you don't have a car, you will have to adjust to bus schedules, so don't see how you can visit Poas in the a.m. and still stay on schedule to catch a bus to Puerto Viejo. There might be a tour that doesn't spend extra time at another stop.
(p.m. won't cut it; the park closes pretty early, and the clouds move in late in the morning and you may not be able to see the caldera.)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, Alaska
Thanks, wolfie_cr. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

sylvia, that's exactly what my concern was. I'll prob just head to Puerto Viejo & visit the volcano later. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
We are planning on using our Marriotts Fly/Hotel package in CR. Looking at El Mangroove and Guanacaste. Does anyone have experiences there, and what is the best way to get there from LIR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.