Search

10 hours in Panama City

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH
10 hours in Panama City

Hello,

I have a 10hr layover in PTY (Panama City) and wonder what I can do in this time. I read that the airport is quite far away from the city centre? Is that correct? Obviously it would be great to go visit the Canal.

I arrive around 11am and leave at 10pm.

thanks for advice!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:20 pm

Casco Viejo and Panamá Viejo

This city is not the most spectacular place in the world. The airport is not terribly far. You have enough time anyway. I would go to Casco Viejo and Panamá Viejo. There is not much else to see there. Although many people would disagree, I think the Canal is a waste of time.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
I was just in Panama for 15 days in mid August. I would agree, Panama City was honestly nothing special compared to all of the other places we went in Panama (San Blas, Bocas, Boquite, etc).

Having said that, I also think the canal is only worth doing for a little while. It is really only worth it on a weekday morning, when you have a *chance* at seeing a large ship pass through. Calle Uruguay has many shops/restaurants but above what the above poster reccmd, I don't really have much else.

FYI, PTY is in Tocumen, about a 25 minute drive from the city center. However, this can vary greatly with traffic..which is often unpredictable.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. What would be the best way to get to town... is a taxi worth the money or will a public bus also do?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Haha...If you have never gone to Panama--public transportation does not really exist... a "public bus" = a school bus used in the US 20 years ago, shipped to Panama and painted by a local who has an affinity with Xmas lights. Quite a form of art and the locals take great pride in them. These buses are really privately owned and controlled. While I did take them from town to town, I would not use them in Panama City. Cabs are cheap once you are in the city. $2 or $3/ride should get you most places within the city limits (ex": Casco Viejo to new city cost me $2. Always bargain down a dollar.)

From the airport, take a taxi. However, if you are traveling alone, find someone to split it with. When you are about to exit the airport you will see cabs (yellow) and also white cabs (they say they are more secure bc the drivers must register with the airport..and it is what I took, but who really knows--it is all sketchy). Tell the driver where you are going and that you want to share the ride and they will find someone to split it with. It should cost you no more than $15/20 with 2 people.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the advice!

On the inbound I have a 48min connection. Is this doable? The Continental website let me book it (and it was the only connection bookable for less miles)
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by flo-e
thanks for the advice!

On the inbound I have a 48min connection. Is this doable? The Continental website let me book it (and it was the only connection bookable for less miles)
Where are you connecting to/from and what airlines each segment?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ssafro1
Where are you connecting to/from and what airlines each segment?
Bogota to Guatemala City, both segments on Copa
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by flo-e
Bogota to Guatemala City, both segments on Copa
This is an area I dont think I am qualified to answer.. as I never did an intl connection.

However, I will tell you the airport is relatively small for an intl airport and easy to navigate. There really are only 2 terminals and are connected. Cust/Imm is easy and quick. As long as you are on time I would *guess* you should be fine. Perhaps someone who has connected could provide better detail.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: CO Gold
You wont have to clear immigration so you are good to go, its doable in my opinion.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Just got back from my trip. On the outbound I easily made the 45min connection and so did my checked bag. Walking distances are really short. However, obviously if the incoming flight is late...

On the inbound I went on the 30USD tour offered by the tourist info there. Went to the Multiplaza Mall, a city tour (unfortunately just driving around in a van and no walking) and went to the Miraflores Locks. Left at 1130am and was back at the airport at 5pm.

Hope this info helps someone in the future.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
48 min connection...Very doable. No clearing immigration/customs - you'll just exit the plane and be in the terminal.

Go to the canal - I think its worth it. (But you have to like that kind of thing.) Then go to Casco Viejo and enjoy it. Eat a great dinner there and buy a few things. Then back to the airport. Take a taxi, and maybe just pay him for the day.

To future readers: If you're not weird, PM me. I live near Casco Viejo.

Last edited by CObigtimefan; Feb 25, 2011 at 5:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.