Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Earning both CX & AA miles on different legs of a trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond

i'm flying DFW-LAX-HKG-BKK in a few weeks, and want to earn AA miles for all of my legs.

When i called AA the agent said i couldn't earn AA miles on the LAX-HKG-BKK leg because i had a M ticket. None are code shares so each flight is with the real airline.

I was thinking that i could earn AA miles on my AA trip, and then CX miles on the CX flights. Has anyone been able to earn AA miles and CX miles on differnt legs of a trip.?

For example earn AA miles on DFW-LAX, and then earn CX miles on LAX-HKG-BKK. With a promotion CX has going on i basically will earn ~36,000 CX miles for my RT flight.

My other alternative is to earn all CX miles on the trip if the only let me choose one mileage plan. I have a S & Q fare code for the AA flights. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You can certainly earn AA Miles on the DFW-LAX and AsiaMiles on the LAX-HKG-BKK legs. If the Agent doesn't know how to enter it then either try again until you get a more competent agent or wait until you check-in and sort it out then. The important thing is that when you get on the flight the BP must show the FF account that you want your miles to go to.

The only thing you can't do is earn AAdvantage miles on the CX flights, because M-class isn't eligible.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by christep
You can certainly earn AA Miles on the DFW-LAX and AsiaMiles on the LAX-HKG-BKK legs. If the Agent doesn't know how to enter it then either try again until you get a more competent agent or wait until you check-in and sort it out then. The important thing is that when you get on the flight the BP must show the FF account that you want your miles to go to.

The only thing you can't do is earn AAdvantage miles on the CX flights, because M-class isn't eligible.
Thanks. Someone on the AA board confirmed as well. i usually keep my unique flights (FCO-JFK, LHR-LAX), so i'll be more than happy to keep these as well
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:17 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
While it is possible to credit different segments to different FF plans, most agents are not familiar with how to change a specific segment and the system defaults to changing all segments including those already flown on the same check-in. DFW-LAX is not a lot of miles, so unless you need AA for other reasons such as the EXP upgrade, it is safer to just credit it to CX.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Sorry. OP is double posting. He's already getting his answers over at AA's forum so I will have to close this thread.

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asiamiles forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.