Community
Wiki Posts
Search

June cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Flight schedule for June has (more or less) been announced, with a slight improvement 21-30 June
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...xsource=roller
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Maybe you should have waited to cancel until only after the flight is officially cancelled, which would give you a legit case to get those bookable upgrades extended.
It was officially cancelled.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by beach86
It was officially cancelled.
And they won't give you the bookable upgrades back with a new expiry date?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
And they won't give you the bookable upgrades back with a new expiry date?
Nope, hence my frustration. She said it was the same with airmiles, they are refunded based on their original T&C's so if the original airmiles expiry date has lapsed, you lose them.

I raised the issue with the duty manager, I was told that they will look into it but no promises. I was told that for now the flight was cancelled by CX and they will proceed with the cash refund, as I requested. It would have been the same result should I have accepted Credits or Rebooking.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
Why not take a refund?
Several reasons:
- In contrast to many people here, I do have a need to fly asap, though not at any price.

- I am in the position to be "flexible" with my travel dates.

- Yesterday, I did expect the travel restrictions to be lifted somewhat just a little later than my outbound is currently scheduled (which was announced earlier today, so confirming my expectation).

- It is still some 6-7 weeks to go, before the currently scheduled outbound, so a lot of time in this rapidly changing world.

- Despite the official CX announcement to restart from 21/6, it could very well be some adhoc flights will go earlier and I do not see reasons why passengers would not be admitted, if HKG transit limitations are lifted.

- My current ticket is around 30% cheaper than the "normal" pricing, let alone, the "last minute" pricing for the same, could easily be double what I paid. So, if I ask for a refund and flights open up, my trip would become really expensive having to book a new flight

- I do have confidence CX will survive this global issue, simply because I do see them making a lot of wise decisions, especially regarding honesty (cash refunds) and towards future customer satisfaction. Compare CX behavior' towards their customers with the handling of these refunds by the majority of other airlines.
ernestnywang and Microtat like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life, SQ PPS Club, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brunos
Flight schedule for June has (more or less) been announced, with a slight improvement 21-30 June
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...xsource=roller
This is good news for me, they've put SFO back on the schedule from June 21. So maybe my July 1 SIN-HKG-SFO ticket will be usable, but only if HKG airport ops removes the transit-passenger ban. Does anyone believe that this increase in the CX schedule from June 21 implies there will be some coincident opening for transit passengers, or does it only mean people already in Hong Kong will have more places to fly to from late June? The CX site doesn't seem to have much info on this, other than to say transit passengers are currently banned.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:09 am

got an email today saying that the HKG-HKT leg of my LGW-HKG-HKT trip has been cancelled, but when i go into the booking on the website/app, it is still saying confirmed. i do want the monetary refund, so should i wait until it's saying in the booking that a leg is cancelled, before proceeding?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by beach86
Nope, hence my frustration. She said it was the same with airmiles, they are refunded based on their original T&C's so if the original airmiles expiry date has lapsed, you lose them.
Expired Asia Miles do get redeposited to the next, nearest expiry date. They will not be gone. I think you should definitely fight the case.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Clack
This is good news for me, they've put SFO back on the schedule from June 21. So maybe my July 1 SIN-HKG-SFO ticket will be usable, but only if HKG airport ops removes the transit-passenger ban. Does anyone believe that this increase in the CX schedule from June 21 implies there will be some coincident opening for transit passengers, or does it only mean people already in Hong Kong will have more places to fly to from late June? The CX site doesn't seem to have much info on this, other than to say transit passengers are currently banned.
You are talking about than 2 months from now. It is impossible to tell when and under which conditions, the HK government will relax its ban on transit.
Hong Kong is currently in a good trend. No new cases in the past three days. In the past two weeks most new cases have been imported (e.g. residents returning from UK). All arriving pax are quarantined, so they are mostly under control. Currently flights are primarily "repatriation" flights plus a lot of cargo onboard. The big wave of repatriation is passed.

An obvious risk is contamination during the flight and at the airport. A vast number of transit pax could infect pax terminating in HK.
If the demand on health personnel is drastically reduced, a safer transit could be organized. What if a long transit at HKIA? What if the outbound flight is delayed and the transit pax must spend the night at airport? Would transit be authorized from/to any airline and destinations? etc... It is obvious that CX is pushing for a lifting of the transit ban, but as long as most countries apply strict entry rules, it would have a small impact on traffic.

There are two major exceptions about free transit. DOH has maintained transit. The vast majority of QR pax are transit pax (often 100% nowadays)..LHR is still used for transit. But the UK has also been very lax regarding pax arriving in the UK.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by ayearinmx
got an email today saying that the HKG-HKT leg of my LGW-HKG-HKT trip has been cancelled, but when i go into the booking on the website/app, it is still saying confirmed. i do want the monetary refund, so should i wait until it's saying in the booking that a leg is cancelled, before proceeding?
I just tapped cancel and then received an email that said refunds should be processed within 7 days. I'll return back with an update.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:55 am

these are the two emails I've received... the first one is the cancellation of the HKG-HKT leg of my trip

Due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and subsequent changes to our network, your flight will be cancelled.

We’re sorry for this unexpected change. We offer many ways to alter your booking.
the second email was for the LGW-HGK leg, which they cancelled, but has since changed to a LHR-HKG leg, two days later... notice the slight change of the email

Due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and subsequent changes to our network, your flight will be cancelled.

We are currently making alternative arrangements for you. If you have not yet received your new flight details from us, they will be with you shortly. We will do our best to rebook you to another Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon flight via an alternative city. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we make these arrangements.

We’re sorry for this unexpected change. We also offer many ways to alter your booking.
these are now both showing up in the booking on the website and app, so i have also submitted my refund request

Last edited by ayearinmx; Apr 28, 2020 at 9:02 am
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: free agent
Got same email that they cancel my SIN-HKG segment, and offer full refund including fare difference that I stupidly did (thought coronavirus wont be that bad .. and made decision in early March). Next step - waiting for refund to show up and waiting for July reservation to be cancelled (I doubt CX will ramp up to full 4 flights to JFK anytime soon).
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:20 am

Interesting to note that HKG-SFO has resumed service with two A35Ks flying CX870 the last two days. AKL flights are relatively frequent and LHR is maintaining 5 weekly.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:27 am

Just called CX to cancel my KUL-HKG-MXP-HKG-KUL flight as they are not flying to MXP in June. Full refund, but they did warn me that it will take 6-8 weeks to credit into the banking card.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by cx4ever
Interesting to note that HKG-SFO has resumed service with two A35Ks flying CX870 the last two days. AKL flights are relatively frequent and LHR is maintaining 5 weekly.
Where can you find the schedule for CX's HKG-SFO flights? I can't seem to find it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.