Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Cut AMEX [confirmed], SCB Cards; New Replacement Bank TBD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to Cut AMEX [confirmed], SCB Cards; New Replacement Bank TBD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sxc
I do vaguely remember back then thinking that it was strange to have access to the United Airlines lounge when you had a CX card, so yes maybe the Citi CX card was around even pre 2001.
Originally Posted by percysmith
In fact our own FlyerTalk has record: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...visa-card.html

It was introduced in 1999, less than a year after Asia Miles was launched. It didn't cover Singapore initially (only HK and Taiwan I think), so the Singapore launch was much later.

IIRC, for most of 2000s, UA Red Carpet Clubs were accessible using PP. If the Citi-CX co-brand card included PP membership (not provided for Taiwanese but maybe for HKers?), that would be why cardholders had access to UA RCCs? Oneworld and AM were both founded in 1998, so CX had moved to working with AA (albeit not extensively) by 1999. Before, I know Passages partnered with DL for the US market, but CX had also been close with UA. I believe there was a UA+CX RTW product as well.
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Mea culpa on the history

Really before my time, I think my parents acquired it in 2004, and I thought that was the first release. The (Singapore) press release and (HK) form were from 2004 also, but it turned out to be dated before then.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:45 am
Original Poster

I would rule out BEA, given they are swamped in trying to save their failing China business and currently is in the midst of an asset review (likely putting assets up for sale). I don't believe they have the cash to make a financially attractive bid to take it away from AMEX / SCB.
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
I would rule out BEA, given they are swamped in trying to save their failing China business and currently is in the midst of an asset review (likely putting assets up for sale). I don't believe they have the cash to make a financially attractive bid to take it away from AMEX / SCB.
Closer to home, I and the Hkcard crowd already took BEA to the cleaners last year for BEA Days 4.4% rebate https://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/show/28602?page=1

Hang Seng doesn’t have the appetite for the co-branded program. Even tho it can expand its relationship banking base thru the AM members (akin to HKJC?), it certainly won’t bid high for it.

—-

Actually the HK co-branded program is quite valuable. YVR Uncle meets the $150k waiver requirement several times over and doesn’t care about the earn rate or promos. There was that story about the member who bought a 370k coat from LC and was allowed to go over limit (but had to pay fees for doing so).

What happens in a transition?
Last time, I remember they got new application forms
Do they have to submit new documentation or was all the Citi documentation forwarded to AE?
YVR uncle types may be reluctant to bother resubmitting docs, and my parents retained their Citi card so I think their CXAEs were new applications.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 15, 2020 at 4:51 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
What happens in a transition?
Last time, I remember they got new application forms
Do they have to submit new documentation or was all the Citi documentation forwarded to AE?
YVR uncle types may be reluctant to bother resubmitting docs, and my parents retained their Citi card so I think their CXAEs were new applications.
Received separate application invitation from AE. Either CX told AE who had Citi co-brand cards, or it was a "targeted promotion" to certain MPO members that included members who had a Citi co-brand card. A new application definitely needed to be submitted as it was a new card (and AE had to do credit check, etc.). The original Citi co-brand cards were re-issued to Premiermiles and no form needed to be submitted.
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Well if airlines' objective is to run a low cost, low profile co-branding credit card program - and to keep your miles dear - then Dah Sing is your solution.
I don't see how low-profile it can be given how CX/KA/UO dominate Hong Kong.

What did they change exactly? The base is still $8/UA mile ???? - ???? - ??? - ??????????
Complimentary UC one-time pass and formerly waived mile expiration (no longer as UA drops the expiration for all).

I agree. When BEA is still in good financial condition, BEA is more like a survival mode now (fighting for businesses).
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
I don't see how low-profile it can be given how CX/KA/UO dominate Hong Kong.
That's what I mean. What works for BA/UA/NH might not work for CX/KA (would UO even be a part of the co-branded program?)

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 15, 2020 at 1:07 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
That's what I mean. What works for BA/UA/NH might not work for CX/KA (would UO even be a part of the co-branded program?)
True. But at the same time, there is nothing suggestive that the CX/KA/UO mix can't be benefited from Dah Sing if Dah Sing is indeed the one.

We are talking about the future. So there is no guarantee success. FWIW - at least no one can deny, based on Dah Sing's current airline portfolio, Dah Sing would stand the better chance than AMEX/Citi/BOCHK/HSBC/SCB, as so far, no airline co-brand partner has ever dropped Dah Sing (yet) - CX dropped and will drop AMEX/Citi/SCB. SQ dropped BOCHK. And UA dropped HSBC.

The co-brand mix depends on if CX wants to have a reward program card, or a FFP card. UO is going to be in the mix for sure.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:06 am

I hold a Dahsing BA co-branded card. I must say my experience with Dahsing is disastrous...

Anyone explored the possibility of Fubon?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by wong2370
I’ve been trying to pay a $292 insurance bill for two weeks with them...
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wong2370
Unlikely - Fubon's background as a Taiwanese bank disqualifies any possibilities.

Don't forget CA owns a portion of CX.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Unlikely - Fubon's background as a Taiwanese bank disqualifies any possibilities.

Don't forget CA owns a portion of CX.
I think the bigger issue is Fubon has been trying to exit the retail banking market for some time now... doubt they would make any significant investment into it.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the bigger issue is Fubon has been trying to exit the retail banking market for some time now... doubt they would make any significant investment into it.
Could be. When I take a look with Fubon's credit card offerings, both Taiwan and Hong Kong, I don't believe they are really into credit card businesses.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tfung
Honestly the program with Amex was very weak.. There are other cards that earned Asiamiles at the same rate... Plus we all know that amex is accepted much less than visa or mastercard...

I wouldn't mind to get rid of the CX Amex card and apply for a new one, and hopefully earn the bonus offers that I'm sure will come with it...
I agree. Even in HK, I was disappointed with the acceptance rate. A lot of low end places only take MC and Visas.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by brunos
BA is negotiating with "its" credit card (including AMEX) to sell avios in advance at discount. Maybe CX is doing the same. The motivation is to get more cash.
Source?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.