Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Cut AMEX [confirmed], SCB Cards; New Replacement Bank TBD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Just to be clear - this is a rumor, but a solid one from a reliable source, that CX is about to end its Asia Miles affiliated cards with American Express and Standard Chartered Bank. This is apparently because of a more financially appealing bid from a yet to be announced bank.

Wondering if anyone else has heard the same?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
that will suck if it means they also scrap their Corp Amex program
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:11 pm

Bank from China seems stay away from CX group, not sure which non China bank group can give great offer to CX/AM, especially CX co-brand card.
Hope not Aeon
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Any possibility that it would be HSBC? I always thought that CX and HSBC are very close (and I believe HSBC is or used to be TPECX's preferred bank).
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Honestly the program with Amex was very weak.. There are other cards that earned Asiamiles at the same rate... Plus we all know that amex is accepted much less than visa or mastercard...

I wouldn't mind to get rid of the CX Amex card and apply for a new one, and hopefully earn the bonus offers that I'm sure will come with it...
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:40 am
Original Poster

It would take a significant bid from HSBC against StanChart and AMEX, not sure HSBC has it in them given their recent headwinds and focus on downsizing. I would personally think only Chinese banks could make such an irresistible offer but this is pure speculation.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:44 am

Just my 0.02:
CX may go to Citi (Welcome Home?!)
AM maybe DBS (DBS offered instance AM redeem, some just wild guess)
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by rickywk
Just my 0.02:
CX may go to Citi (Welcome Home?!)
AM maybe DBS (DBS offered instance AM redeem, some just wild guess)
Ha it took me a few seconds to realise where the "Welcome Home" came from. Time flies!
tf552 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: CX GO, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, World of Hyatt Globalist & M life Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Ha it took me a few seconds to realise where the "Welcome Home" came from. Time flies!
Blast from the past

Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
My money on CCB

But if no Amex, Plaza Premium access good-bye.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:21 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Citi uses the fact you can transfer to many airlines as a big selling point. Somehow I feel they won’t give that away - I would expect a new contract with Citi would either make them stop transfers to other airlines or make the conversion rate for non CX transfers prohibitive.
tfung and percysmith like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Just as a reference point, when the Citi contract ended, Citi sent out new cards to everyone all at once. At that time, cards had to be mailed by registered post, so there were huge queues at the GPO and other post offices for people to pick up their new Premiermiles cards (I think they went straight to that branding if my memory is correct).

This probably won’t happen again for Amex / SCB replacements as they allow cards to be delivered via normal post now.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BA is negotiating with "its" credit card (including AMEX) to sell avios in advance at discount. Maybe CX is doing the same. The motivation is to get more cash.

Last edited by brunos; Apr 14, 2020 at 3:08 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by tf552
Blast from the past

Originally Posted by sxc
Just as a reference point, when the Citi contract ended, Citi sent out new cards to everyone all at once. At that time, cards had to be mailed by registered post, so there were huge queues at the GPO and other post offices for people to pick up their new Premiermiles cards (I think they went straight to that branding if my memory is correct).

This probably won’t happen again for Amex / SCB replacements as they allow cards to be delivered via normal post now.
Yup, the CX-Citi co-brand cards became Premiermiles cards in both HK and Taiwan in 2008. I still use the Premiermiles card.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yup, the CX-Citi co-brand cards became Premiermiles cards in both HK and Taiwan in 2008. I still use the Premiermiles card.
When was the Citi CX card introduced? I remember when I first moved to HK, I had a Citi card which provided access to the United Airlines club at HKIA but I can't remember if it was the CX co-brand card, or some other card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.