Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Cut AMEX [confirmed], SCB Cards; New Replacement Bank TBD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to Cut AMEX [confirmed], SCB Cards; New Replacement Bank TBD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by lsquare
I agree. Even in HK, I was disappointed with the acceptance rate. A lot of low end places only take MC and Visas.
Can’t agree more. The only complaint with the CX credit card is its partnership with AE. Very annoying that no all shops take AE. Wonder why CX stopped issuing with Citibank, or why didn’t they find another bank to issue a Visa or MC card.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SLGO
Can’t agree more. The only complaint with the CX credit card is its partnership with AE. Very annoying that no all shops take AE. Wonder why CX stopped issuing with Citibank, or why didn’t they find another bank to issue a Visa or MC card.
Unless my memory was off, I recalled seeing AMEX trying to sign people up at a MTR station a few years ago. Didn't seem very successful as I walked by. I think most people understand AMEX's limitation. I think AMEX needs to do a better job to get small businesses to accept them like in the US. Maybe lowering the fees or give them a financial incentive. Otherwise it'll be useless for the vast majority of HKers.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:32 am
Original Poster

With the explosion of high value Visa / MC cards, AMEX will really find it hard to continue to do well in this lucrative Hong Kong market.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CX HK
With the explosion of high value Visa / MC cards, AMEX will really find it hard to continue to do well in this lucrative Hong Kong market.
I'm not under the impression that they're doing well in HK given the poor acceptance rate.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SLGO
Well there is the Asia Miles SCB Card which for all intents and purposes is basically the same from a points earning perspective.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Just a random thought... does anyone think that the new card might be a unionpay one? That would be a major coup for them... problem is even less merchants accept unionpay outside of Asia.... but their transaction fees are amongst the lowest in the world, and they have been offering a lot of good incentives for people to pay using them...

Last edited by tfung; Apr 29, 2020 at 9:52 am
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Might be cause for embarrassment in HK because at present HK merchants incl CX and AM can’t take Unionpay over the phone just yet. So unless CX and AM sort their booking system to allow 100% online payments.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfung
Just a random though... does anyone think that the new card might be a unionpay one? That would be a major coup for them... problem is even less merchants accept unionpay outside of Asia.... but their transaction fees are amongst the lowest in the world, and they have been offering a lot of good incentives for people to pay using them...
What are the incentives that you're referring to?

I noticed UnionPay is getting popular in North American cities with large Chinese population.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:22 am
Original Poster

UnionPay is allegedly widely accepted in London but I've had so many issues with it I've given up.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
UnionPay indeed is not very popular in HK, Visa and Master are still the majority of HKers using.
If CX leave Amex, it will be better either Visa or Master as it is generally more accepted in HK, even better than Amex.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by garykung
Does that extend to Chinese as well given CCB (Asia) uses the same style?
American Banks/Companies only use American English no matter what country they are in without respect to local English. And the whole stupid MM/DD/YY is illogical, the only sensible format is YY/MM/DD. Here I am in a vast minority.

Also CCB (Asia) just happens to be a client of mine, and the variations of English they use, i.e. centre/center to name one example found in their official literature or their buildings, is usually down to where the individual who wrote it was educated. So if you go to the CCB Centre in Kowloon Bay, it is spelt exactly that way, but look on the American Google Maps and they spell it (incorrectly) 'center'

Just as an aside I had one client, a large US Stock Exchange insist I used American English in text because their staff could not understand real English. That was never going to happen.

I realise this has gone way off topic, but always an interesting debate.

Any news on cards as I will have to decide in the next 2 months what to do with my CX AMEX if there is going to be a change
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CX HK
UnionPay is allegedly widely accepted in London but I've had so many issues with it I've given up.
That's news to me. I don't think UnionPay is anywhere near Visa and Mastercard in terms of acceptance rate in London. You'll probably find major retailers or places where Chinese tourists typically go to as the most likely places that will accept UnionPay.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Not in this case.

Citibank is a U.S. bank. Instead of British English, Citibank uses American English. So its "current account" product is in fact a checking account.

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...heckingSavings

So while cheque is correct spelling for other Hong Kong banks, for Citibank, check is the correct spelling.

This has nothing to do with colonial influence.
Nice attempt at an argument. Only it does not stand up to either common practice or scrutiny.

Successful businesses adapt to their target market and local conventions, not the other way around. I have yet to see Citibank use the MM/DD/YYYY format in China or Europe.

And I personally agree, although I am not from a country where it is customary to do so, that the date format YYYY/MM/DD logically makes the most sense.

Anyway, more pertinently your argument is dismantled by Citibank’s own spelling of “cheque” or “check” on the Citibank UK website. Feel free to take a look:

https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/ec-deposits.do
lsquare and Cryofern like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Nice attempt at an argument. Only it does not stand up to either common practice or scrutiny.

Successful businesses adapt to their target market and local conventions, not the other way around. I have yet to see Citibank use the MM/DD/YYYY format in China or Europe.

And I personally agree, although I am not from a country where it is customary to do so, that the date format YYYY/MM/DD logically makes the most sense.

Anyway, more pertinently your argument is dismantled by Citibank’s own spelling of “cheque” or “check” on the Citibank UK website. Feel free to take a look:

I get where you're coming from, but it's a waste of time even debating it. I just go with the norm wherever I go. I'm use to how things are done in the US. I got use to how things are done in the UK, and etc. Sometimes it just doesn't have to make sense.
buschoi and Cryofern like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany

Varies by institution. BOA HK (now CCB Asia) called their current accounts checking accounts and mm/dd/yyyy their checks until ~2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.