Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
I was supposed to fly MNL-HKG-LAX at the end of March, but AA cancelled the HKG-LAX segment. When I called in, the agent didn't even bother with any CX options, either QR or JL. We opted for QR, and now have a RTW itinerary.
TPJ, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
I've just noticed that I've had CX104 (MEL-HKG) on 16th March and CX253 (HKG-LHR) on 17th March cancelled. I had an email when there was a cancellation on one of my outbound flights but not this time.
The rebooked flights are no good to me and unable to change flights online so currently on hold........
The CX104 seems an odd one to cancel as it has had a fairly full seat map (in business anyway) since I booked last year. Probably because it is the day after the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne.

Spike
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
I've just noticed that I've had CX104 (MEL-HKG) on 16th March and CX253 (HKG-LHR) on 17th March cancelled. I had an email when there was a cancellation on one of my outbound flights but not this time.
The rebooked flights are no good to me and unable to change flights online so currently on hold........
The CX104 seems an odd one to cancel as it has had a fairly full seat map (in business anyway) since I booked last year. Probably because it is the day after the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne.

Spike
After a fairly reasonable 50 minutes on hold it turns out CX104 has been reinstated but CX will be running only one flight a day between HKG and LON (CX251 at 2355) on some days. Quite a reduction in service.

Spike

Last edited by Funky Spike; Feb 17, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air New Zealand
More flight consolidation it seems...
Was booked LHR - HKG - AKL on CX254 and CX113 in J on March 19th.
Got an email last night cancelling those flights and offering the alternative, still on March 19th, on CX252 and CX2191 instead. Which is a perfectly fine option for me, with the minor annoyance of quite a long wait for my domestic connection in AKL (maybe I can get something earlier).

It is interesting that I now don't have a seat assigned for LHR - HKG and if I try to select a seat on the website I get "Seat selection is not available at this moment. Please contact the operating carrier for further arrangement. [E21O3117]".
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Our flights SYD-HKG have been cancelled. I am far from surprised. A lot of people heading to HKG last Tuesday were put off by the FAs running around in face masks. I was told that some refused to fly. I didn’t actually witness anything but a lot of noise. Those that we had were perfectly pleasant but one does feel as though one has arrived at the Hygienist. Our flight on to AKL had possibly 45 people aboard. The Wing was deserted. Heartbreaking. The airport was like a Morgue.

Frankly, Cathay must be haemorrhaging money. I hope that they survive.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Our flights SYD-HKG have been cancelled. I am far from surprised. A lot of people heading to HKG last Tuesday were put off by the FAs running around in face masks. I was told that some refused to fly. I didn’t actually witness anything but a lot of noise. Those that we had were perfectly pleasant but one does feel as though one has arrived at the Hygienist. Our flight on to AKL had possibly 45 people aboard. The Wing was deserted. Heartbreaking. The airport was like a Morgue.

I'm highly doubtful of the efficacy of those masks for protecting the wearer, but turning up for a flight to HK despite the Coronapanic, and then refusing to fly because the FAs are wearing masks, just seems utterly ridiculous. Not surprising, but still ridiculous.
jagmeets likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by fgirard
I was supposed to fly MNL-HKG-LAX at the end of March, but AA cancelled the HKG-LAX segment. When I called in, the agent didn't even bother with any CX options, either QR or JL. We opted for QR, and now have a RTW itinerary.
May I ask if this is cash or miles, and if miles, which programme?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
CX690 on 22Mar20

It looks like the 12:55pm flight from SIN-HKG (CX690) is zeroed out on Expertflyer, but I haven't gotten any notification of cancelation. There's a 10am (CX658) that looks available, but W is zeroed out despite the seat map looking empty. Do you think Cathay proactively blocked out W space on CX658 to accommodate passengers from the potentially canceled CX690? I've gotten notifications for other CX cancelations on my itinerary during this timeframe and rebooked onto available flights, but so far no notification on this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Interestingly my Aus flights have been cancelled and then restored in a week...Not calling CX now as they are still trying to figure out the schedule.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Sydney and Melbourne are not going to less than daily under current circumstances. You’d just get reaccomodated . I have both in April.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by interactfx
It looks like the 12:55pm flight from SIN-HKG (CX690) is zeroed out on Expertflyer, but I haven't gotten any notification of cancelation. There's a 10am (CX658) that looks available, but W is zeroed out despite the seat map looking empty. Do you think Cathay proactively blocked out W space on CX658 to accommodate passengers from the potentially canceled CX690? I've gotten notifications for other CX cancelations on my itinerary during this timeframe and rebooked onto available flights, but so far no notification on this.
I have a DPS-HKG-SEA itinerary mid March that has been zeroed out multiple times. ExpertFlyer is quite valuable at the moment. Other than going to the CX website few other resources provide information of value. The booking sites show the ticket as available until an attempt to book the tickets. Moving target at best. As of today the flights are bookable.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Feb 18, 2020 at 8:45 am
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:44 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
I have a DPS-HKG-SEA itinerary mid March that has been zeroed out multiple times. Moving target at best. As of today the flights are bookable.
Is it the DPS-HKG flight they are zeroing out or the HKG-SEA?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:26 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bobbytables
I'm highly doubtful of the efficacy of those masks for protecting the wearer, but turning up for a flight to HK despite the Coronapanic, and then refusing to fly because the FAs are wearing masks, just seems utterly ridiculous. Not surprising, but still ridiculous.
Perhaps. I flew, but I’m unsure that I’d chose this airline again. If was unsure just whose protection mattered - theirs or ours. It was indeed really off-putting, that and serving everything with surgical gloves as some were doing. Not all, but some.

I take your point however. Clearly, lots do not want to go and it is having a devastating effect.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by A4K
Is it the DPS-HKG flight they are zeroing out or the HKG-SEA?
Both. Interestingly enough, one day economy is zeroed out (and not offered for sale) and another day business is zeroed out (and not offered for sale) and another day both; but today neither are zeroed out. Both directions are award travel and the purpose of the trip is a holiday so not of particular concern one way or another. Ideally the return portion isn't cancelled while in Bali. I don't swim well.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:25 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I have no issue with the surgical masks and the gloves. The surgical masks are a cultural element and I am all for the crew wearing them if that means them showing up to work and performing their duties. The CDC claims that masks provide little protection and only recommend their use to those who are sick or taking care of those who are ill. Regardless I have heaps of HK friends who want me to stop at Costco before my trip in a couple weeks and bring masks.

The gloves part is a little bizarre to me. A friend recently flew JAL and they were wearing gloves as well. After the service he saw a FA take the gloves off (the incorrect way, so potentially contaminating herself) and then proceeded to immediately eat an apple...so I don’t understand the point. Clearly a mental security theatre if they aren’t following through with all precautions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.