Wiki Posts
Search

Lost luggage no response for a week

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Lost luggage no response for a week

Good afternoon,

I was wondering what's the best way to push Cathay to find your bag? I had 2 stops, first in Beijing and then in Hong Kong.

Its been a week that there is no update on the website. When I called , they told me that "oops , we forgot to call you and advise that 1st tracing was unsuccessful"

Have you ever had an experience that they found your bag after a week? or should i forget about it ?

I just want to get my luggage bag =)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Can you share your itinerary and at which stage you lost your bags? It may not be CX’s to trace even if CX was the most significant carrier.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Olga Popykhina
Have you ever had an experience that they found your bag after a week? or should i forget about it ?
Forget about it.

Remember - the limit is 21 days. Once the 21 days have been reached, the bag is deemed total loss.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
AA permanently lost my bag. In retrospect, I think I knew about 8 days into the trip but couldn’t bring myself to admit it. I’d start documenting the expenses for reimbursement ASAP if you haven’t already. And send a full on claim when you return home and can finalize everything.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
FYI, I once had a bag "lost" on an AA domestic trip that was found about 8~10 days afterwards. By then, I was already back to Taiwan, after a 2-day stop at SNA/LAX. As instructed by AA, I let the CX check-in counter at LAX know about it and filed another missing bag report with TPECX airport baggage counter. CX then delivered the bag to me.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Olga Popykhina
Good afternoon,

I was wondering what's the best way to push Cathay to find your bag? I had 2 stops, first in Beijing and then in Hong Kong.

Its been a week that there is no update on the website. When I called , they told me that "oops , we forgot to call you and advise that 1st tracing was unsuccessful"

I just want to get my luggage bag =)
It would help if you could share a bit more information about your journey. After 21 days your bag is considered lost and the airline has to pay you a fixed maximum amount, which is currently about EUR1,400. Any more will have to come from your travel insurance.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
After 21 days your bag is considered lost and the airline has to pay you a fixed maximum amount, which is currently about EUR1,400. Any more will have to come from your travel insurance.
Never knew this. Is this amount for EU involved fights only?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Visconti
Never knew this. Is this amount for EU involved fights only?
No, it's the Montreal Convention.

You can read the text here:

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/f...-full-text.pdf

After 21 days you get SDR 1,131 (Special Drawing Rights), equivalent to about EUR 1,400 these days.
Visconti and JordanWalker like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, it's the Montreal Convention.

You can read the text here:

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/f...-full-text.pdf

After 21 days you get SDR 1,131 (Special Drawing Rights), equivalent to about EUR 1,400 these days.
I would rather say that you can get up to that amount.
Airlines vary on their application of that rule. They usually ask for a detailed content of the case, receipts, etc...
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
I would rather say that you can get up to that amount.
Airlines vary on their application of that rule. They usually ask for a detailed content of the case, receipts, etc...
Correct. In my earlier post I did say that this was a fixed maximum.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
To get the Montreal Conv max for total loss of bag at AA, I had to provide receipts for new items as well as a detailed list of lost contents, including brand, description, cost. It was a royal PITA.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
To get the Montreal Conv max for total loss of bag at AA, I had to provide receipts for new items as well as a detailed list of lost contents, including brand, description, cost. It was a royal PITA.
Thank makes sense, otherwise I'd imagine everyone under the Sun would claim the fixed max 1,400 eur?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:49 am
Suspended

Fair enough I think. Otherwise everyone wears Hermes and had three Rolexes in the suitcase.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:24 pm

Cx has lost my luggages before - just stay cool about it. Eventually it will be found or permanently lost.

I would start asking CX for compensation at this stage - this will kick start the compensation process and central bag office will start to get involved ( instead of the airports). Central bag office has more experience and the threat of compensation will make things quicker.

Last time CX paid me HK$1000 two days after when luggages are delayed. Eventually my luggages are found. Beijing customs held them for further inspection, causing the delay. My credit card insurance paid me more.

I just had two delayed bags by Latam. Took me 15 days to have them sent back to my home.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sure. But at the minimum, the airline can't also deny claim simply because you don't have the receipt for the lost items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.