Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX ending YVR-JFK, dropping HKG-YVR to 14x weekly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX ending YVR-JFK, dropping HKG-YVR to 14x weekly

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by dkc192
I'd say this is overall an excellent outcome. Keeps F on all three major departure timeslots in both directions (morning, early evening, overnight ex-HKG; morning, afternoon, overnight ex-JFK). The fourth service without F is largely a duplicate of the early evening ex-HKG and overnight ex-JFK. Though I would've preferred that the F service be kept on 845 instead of the new 843 for a slightly later departure and thus later arrival time in HKG.
Exactly. Was fairly predictable! But what that means is, logical. As someone mentioned upthread, CX846 was the easiest to redeem F on.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by drvannostren
DL runs YVR-JFK seasonally in the summer and there's days where it's packed, meanwhile CX will have like 90 joining passengers. The price was always an issue, but I wasn't aware of the other rule.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm begging someone to open some new long haul routes that aren't just mainland China routes. I've long thought YVR could take a MIA route especially during the winter, maybe daily doesn't work but I do think it could work. I was literally looking at GRU and I'm not 100% sure they could make it with the range, I'm sure someone better in the know than me could say for sure. But I also thought maybe SCL to line up with a LATAM hub. Maybe there's just no demand between HK and Latin America though. Maybe someone could tell me this...let's say CX decided that LHR was a good option (forget the slots and stuff) would they be allowed? Obviously flying HKG-YVR-LHR makes no sense for a passenger, but with BA/AC already flying maybe there's enough demand for another. Then flying LHR-HKG makes sense, so rather than a triangle flight it would be more like 3 one way flights.

I also wonder what the new flight sked would be if they opt not to do something more interesting. Currently all the night service at YVR is in around 1700-2000ish to allowed for partner connections, then back out again anywhere between 0000-0300. I don't know about worldwide, but letting the plane sit for 5-6 hours on the ground isn't something Cathay has ever really done here.

No sir. Philippine Airlines USED to fly both YVR-YYZ and YVR-JFK, neither of those flights exist anymore now that they've gotten their 350s. Those flights have been gone a while. Back in the day PR used to fly YVR-LAS on a 340 just to keep the plane making money, though it seemed like way too much capacity and they couldn't keep the prices at a point where they made money on it.
The quota thing has been discussed in this forum. It appears by the end of the year CX has to fly planes empty between YVR/JFK because they are not allowed to sell anymore.
Flyertalk-transborder quota

Having flown CX865 thrice from YVR and the flight is always packed from YVR. It does look like very few pax get off at YVR so maybe they don't think this route is worthwhile anymore if they can't fill the plane profitably from YVR to JFK
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
So a YVR-JFK and/or JFK-YVR last flight Do?
I'm considering this, too, especially since TPE-HKG-JFK-YVR-JFK-HKG-TPE is priced the same as TPE-HKG-YVR-HKG-TPE (only tax and YR difference).
Yoshi212 and CXFlyerBoy like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Accept a direct or else AM agents will start preparing the lubricant.
Originally Posted by btang
But what if you’re booked on JFK-YVR, stopover for a few days, Then YVR to HKG, in which both flights are now most likely to be the cancelled ones?
Gold Marco Polo Club member here. Had JFK-YVR booked in June in J on a redemption. Just called Cathay and they are unwilling to book a partner flight - even after I escalated to a manager. All they offered was a free refund.

Not sure if I have any recourse here?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Talking

Originally Posted by the.wandering.aengus
Gold Marco Polo Club member here. Had JFK-YVR booked in June in J on a redemption. Just called Cathay and they are unwilling to book a partner flight - even after I escalated to a manager. All they offered was a free refund.

Sing "Glory to Hong Kong" to the phone agent!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Guess 845 is switching to HKG crew and 843 getting primarily JFK base.

Last edited by PacificSunrise; Sep 16, 2019 at 8:34 pm Reason: JFK doesn't have ISM
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:34 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Keep at it. There is precedent they need to book you with partner https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-cx-miles.html to comply with CoC 10.2.2.2. Take them to small claims if you have to. Don't let them walk away with refund.
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 16, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:22 am

Keep at it. There is precedent they need to book you with partner to comply with CoC 10.2.2.2. Take them to small claims if you have to. Don't let them walk away with refund.
Update. Wrote an angry complaint using the form on the Cathay website this morning after my call. Two hours later get a call from the Marco Polo club manager apologizing profusely and saying that he would try and get approval to book me on the direct Air Canada flight from EWR to YVR.

I just received confirmation they did indeed book me on Air Canada in J.

Very impressed overall with how my complaint was dealt with!

I expected to fight tooth and nail for this and it was resolved very quickly. It might have helped that I am Gold and the person travelling with me is Diamond
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:01 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Update. Wrote an angry complaint using the form on the Cathay website this morning after my call. Two hours later get a call from the Marco Polo club manager apologizing profusely and saying that he would try and get approval to book me on the direct Air Canada flight from EWR to YVR.

I just received confirmation they did indeed book me on Air Canada in J.

Very impressed overall with how my complaint was dealt with!

I expected to fight tooth and nail for this and it was resolved very quickly. It might have helped that I am Gold and the person travelling with me is Diamond
Good. Adds to my data points (not the Gulf Air one; a couple of unpublished data points) that CX's willingness to follow its own T&Cs is largely proportional to status.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Good. Adds to my data points (not the Gulf Air one; a couple of unpublished data points) that CX's willingness to follow its own T&Cs is largely proportional to status.
(Not taking a shot at aengus, just my view)

And/Or ability/keenness to stay firm.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
It appears that CX has quota on how many seats can be sold YVR-JFK. As a result, frequently they can’t sell any more tickets even the flights are very empty. I believe this is the reason why this route may be losing money. Other than that this route is close to a monopoly and fares are usually quite high IMO.

I wonder whether CX would use this opportunity to open up some new routes from YVR? Like YVR-MIA or even YVR-GRU?
What is the quota? Do you have the source?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:29 am

Think you'll be rebooked on the replacement new HKG-JFK. Happened to me when CX162 got canned on 28 May (essentially given free choice on any of the other three SYD-HKG flights)
Yeah, I was rebooked on the replacement flight CX842. Wasn't given a free choice of flights since the other flights were full. Not thrilled about a 150am departure and a 600am arrival. This schedule might be good for business travelers, but it stinks for families.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Yeah, I was rebooked on the replacement flight CX842. Wasn't given a free choice of flights since the other flights were full. Not thrilled about a 150am departure and a 600am arrival. This schedule might be good for business travelers, but it stinks for families.
What was your original flight? I find it hard to believe that all other flights on the same day and +/- 1 day are full. This sounds like a HUCA situation.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:37 pm

After JFK YVR is dropped, YVR doesn't have any more F service, do they?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by yerffej201
After JFK YVR is dropped, YVR doesn't have any more F service, do they?
"From Vancouver, Cathay Pacific’s Hong Kong schedule will drop to twice-daily service — down from the 17 flights a week that the airline currently flies. Despite that, Lacamp said capacity would largely remain the same because Cathay Pacific will upgauge its service there to its higher-density 777-300s that can seat up to 340 passengers across three classes."

Both flights will be operated by the 3c B77W so yeah no more FCL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.