Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX ending YVR-JFK, dropping HKG-YVR to 14x weekly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX ending YVR-JFK, dropping HKG-YVR to 14x weekly

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by SilverChris
If you want to maximise the onboard experience, JFK-YVR is a much better option. You’d have access to the AA Flagship lounge which isn’t half bad. I think F is worth the premium (though that also depends on which programme you’re using), as you get to access the Flagship First dining room at JFK and have another leisurely dinner onboard.

On YVR-JFK, which is considerably shorter than the reverse, most people go straight to sleep. I usually eat in the lounge then ask for my meal to be served shortly before landing.
Thanks for the information!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:30 am

Does anyone have experience if this route can be booked in J/F with Alaska miles? I know they partner for long haul, but I have not been able to establish if this route can be booked and for how many miles. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Does anyone have experience if this route can be booked in J/F with Alaska miles? I know they partner for long haul, but I have not been able to establish if this route can be booked and for how many miles. Thanks.
That's probably best answered in the Alaska forum.
It can certainly be booked with AA miles, but I know almost nothing about the AS program.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Easily found at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts by plugging in "Canada" and "Contiguous U. S. and Alaska."
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Easily found at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts by plugging in "Canada" and "Contiguous U. S. and Alaska."
Perfect, thanks! Definitely bookmarking that one.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I’m flying it Friday night using AS miles. I’ve done it before too. Pretty easy to find out if you look at this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...019-later.html
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I’m flying it Friday night using AS miles. I’ve done it before too. Pretty easy to find out if you look at this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...019-later.html
Thanks, I am in the midst of trying to book via AA since I am able to get my positioning flight to JFK included in the same redemption.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I am in the midst of trying to book via AA since I am able to get my positioning flight to JFK included in the same redemption.
You know you’re paying an extra 15,000 miles for that positioning flight if you fly CX F, right? (7,500 for J. Y you’re all even.)

Depending how you value miles a cash flight (or even an AA Y award booking) might be a better use of miles...
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:55 pm

You know you’re paying an extra 15,000 miles for that positioning flight if you fly CX F, right? (7,500 for J. Y you’re all even.)

Depending how you value miles a cash flight (or even an AA Y award booking) might be a better use of miles...
Yes, however it is at least on a 772 in a super diamond seat and I am going to use Marriott points which have a 25% transfer bonus right now with AA which eats up most of that difference (102k marriott points will be 47,500 AA miles and I have enough to cover the small difference vs 39,000 AS miles). Does that make more sense then?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, however it is at least on a 772 in a super diamond seat and I am going to use Marriott points which have a 25% transfer bonus right now with AA which eats up most of that difference (102k marriott points will be 47,500 AA miles and I have enough to cover the small difference vs 39,000 AS miles). Does that make more sense then?
Coming up from Miami, huh? Hope they don't suck out the 772 from you. Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

But you are protected in case of irrops.
HiAperture likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:07 am

Coming up from Miami, huh? Hope they don't suck out the 772 from you. Cheers.
Yes indeed, MIA it is. The 772 is pretty consistent on that route, and I don't even mind the 763 in J for that hop, always nice to have a widebody on a domestic flight.

Originally Posted by brunos
But you are protected in case of irrops.
Yes exactly, I have a nice long layover scheduled to enjoy flagship first dining for lunch, but plenty of daily flights from MIA-JFK if things go poorly with AA for them to get me up there in time.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have heard that Hong Kong has a fifth freedom right in North America (between one Canadian city and one American city). My CX-expert friend told me that CX will likely operate a new fifth freedom flight in a few years after the closure of the YVR-JFK route!

Does anyone know more about this or could confirm this?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by jenkints
I have heard that Hong Kong has a fifth freedom right in North America (between one Canadian city and one American city). My CX-expert friend told me that CX will likely operate a new fifth freedom flight in a few years after the closure of the YVR-JFK route!

Does anyone know more about this or could confirm this?
Cannot confirm but just my pure speculation (one of the following - utlizing J/W/Y aircraft):

HKG-SFO-YVR-HKG + HKG-YVR-SFO-HKG [To utilize aircraft between evening (8pm ish) arrival in North America and early morning (2am ish) departure from North America]
HKG-SEA-YYZ vv.
HKG-YVR-EWR vv.
HKG-YYC-ORD vv.
lsquare and jenkints like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It would be nice if they do YYZ-SFO. I fly that route a lot and it is such a popular route!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.