Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX ending YVR-JFK, dropping HKG-YVR to 14x weekly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX ending YVR-JFK, dropping HKG-YVR to 14x weekly

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
So it looks like F class has been completed zeroed out for YVR, but the equipment hasn’t been changed yet. I just booked a group of 5 in F out of YVR. Would they conceivable let change us fly out of LAX or SFO for no additional fare at this time?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by derek2010
Identical case like SFO. the F cabin can support that.
Cathay would have all the data on how many F seats are sold historically for YVR route.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by CS300
Perhaps the Canadian market just doesn't have the yield to support FCL?
CX removed F from both its YYZ-HKG flights years ago. In the final year of F on that route, CX gave a marketing one-way upgrade when J fares were purchased. One could opt for F in either going or coming. I flew one of the last F flights YYZ-HKG and there were just two of us in the cabin. It was full on the return, mainly with Walmart Canada buyers who opted for the upgrade on their return home rather than on the outbound. Suspect YVR has only kept F because of the JFK leg.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by synthkeys
Well, 888 is HKG-JFK, I've never taken that flight. You are right, I never have too much problem getting an upgrade confirmed HKG-JFK/EWR. But JFK/EWR-HKG, 865 is generally easiest to confirm, and I've had luck with 841. 899 and 845 not too lucky. 899 has gotten more difficult with the move to A350, since there are less seats. I've never taken 831, just don't like the evening arrival time. On the way back to NY, almost always take 890, easier to get home after 15 hours on a plane,
Same here. 890/899 remains my most frequent as it's closer to home. 899 and 845 are indeed the hardest as I can't remember last time I saw empty J seat. I hate arriving at HKG in the afternoon when I usually have important dinner appointments, so it's always early in the morning - whose downside is CX pilots sometimes get too fast and arrive before Airport Express starts operation lol

Originally Posted by theboss7593
So I will be in SF in mid November for work. Was going to go to LA for a few days then fly back LAX-JFK on AA in J redeemed with Avios for 38K. (28K before bonus) .Then I saw that YVR-JFK in J on CX is available for the same price. ( AsiaMiles is 25K. So might consider transferring to Asia Miles) Flights from SFO-LAX/YVR are the same price so it washes that out.

I have never been to YVR (but have been to LAX) so thought hmm maybe a good excuse to go check it out see a hockey game and take the CX route. However I was reading a lot of recent comments saying that the service and quality of the CX flight has been very bad. So in your opinions?

AA: Fly J: LAX-JFK on A321 Transcon with Flagship Access in LAX or:
CX: Fly J: YVR-JFK on B777 with CX Club Access at YVR.
They are quite different products. AA's 321T F seat is what they used for tcon J seat (see AA posts - I believe two variations) - similar product CX offers on 77W J, despite a lot of wear and tear. On the other hand, AA's 321T J is a 2x2, so it's not the same type of seat you will get on CX LH J seats - much similar to CX regional J.

AA J does not allow you to access flagship dinning so it's just a slightly better Admiral Club experience, which is in my opinion worse than an CX outstation lounge at YVR.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:00 pm

I have 2 award business ticket for CX 888 from HKG-YVR-JFK on Apr 12. Should I be worry this will be cancelled?

Because other flights from HKG-JFK are waitinglist.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:31 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by toni8284
I have 2 award business ticket for CX 888 from HKG-YVR-JFK on Apr 12. Should I be worry this will be cancelled?

Because other flights from HKG-JFK are waitinglist.
Think you'll be rebooked on the replacement new HKG-JFK. Happened to me when CX162 got canned on 28 May (essentially given free choice on any of the other three SYD-HKG flights)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: CX SL, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
Think you'll be rebooked on the replacement new HKG-JFK. Happened to me when CX162 got canned on 28 May (essentially given free choice on any of the other three SYD-HKG flights)
But what if you’re booked on JFK-YVR, stopover for a few days, Then YVR to HKG, in which both flights are now most likely to be the cancelled ones?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by theboss7593
So I will be in SF in mid November for work. Was going to go to LA for a few days then fly back LAX-JFK on AA in J redeemed with Avios for 38K. (28K before bonus) .Then I saw that YVR-JFK in J on CX is available for the same price. ( AsiaMiles is 25K. So might consider transferring to Asia Miles) Flights from SFO-LAX/YVR are the same price so it washes that out.

I have never been to YVR (but have been to LAX) so thought hmm maybe a good excuse to go check it out see a hockey game and take the CX route. However I was reading a lot of recent comments saying that the service and quality of the CX flight has been very bad. So in your opinions?

AA: Fly J: LAX-JFK on A321 Transcon with Flagship Access in LAX or:
CX: Fly J: YVR-JFK on B777 with CX Club Access at YVR.
The morning arrival at JFK blows if you plan on taking a taxi/car into town.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by btang
But what if you’re booked on JFK-YVR, stopover for a few days, Then YVR to HKG, in which both flights are now most likely to be the cancelled ones?
Accept a direct or else AM agents will start preparing the lubricant.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The two terms "always empty" and "easy upgrade" say it all.
craig44485 and Visconti like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The two terms "always empty" and "easy upgrade" say it all.
LOL...not exactly a leading indicator of long term viability.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by QRC3288
CX846 was the last addition to the nonstops (CX830 was first IIRC, followed by CX840, then CX846), and is/was sometimes cancelled on one off days in the schedule. So I could see it being reduced.
I can confirm that the CX830/831 pair was the first non-stop.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by CS300
Cathay would have all the data on how many F seats are sold historically for YVR route.
if they had smart employee they would keep the data alongside pricing of chinese mainland competitors

you cant just use historical data when in past you had so little competition
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
So it looks like F class has been completed zeroed out for YVR, but the equipment hasn’t been changed yet. I just booked a group of 5 in F out of YVR. Would they conceivable let change us fly out of LAX or SFO for no additional fare at this time?
Because a travel agent booked the flight and it’s still showing as confirmed, I’m not able to make any changes yet. Any ideas on how long it will take for the equipment change to be processed through the system?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
How very unfortunate. The timing of both flights work out rather well for a YVRite looking for a weekend getaway. The Vancouver-based crew and ground staff are a nice bunch after you get to know them.

The downside of this rotation is the YVR-HKG portion tends to be delayed quite often, and I’ve missed many a connection because of it.

Between this and the outsourcing of the ground staff, it’s been a sad few months for CX’s YVR operations.

Originally Posted by fakecd
if they had smart employee they would keep the data alongside pricing of chinese mainland competitors

you cant just use historical data when in past you had so little competition
Do you honestly think someone willing to pay top dollar for a CX F ride direct to HKG is also willing to put up with a mainland carrier and transit through China?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.