Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting flight cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Originally Posted by plunet
Or the UK number ​​​+44 800 917 8260 which should be free from hangouts or Skype
​​
Thank you very much for the number. I was able to speak with an agent and she explained me that my BA flight still doesn't show as cancelled and that some e-mails have been wrongly sent regarding the BA strike issue, so my flight might still be confirmed despite the e-mail I have received...

I will keep the thread updated as I get more information.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by milfweed20
Thank you very much for the number. I was able to speak with an agent and she explained me that my BA flight still doesn't show as cancelled and that some e-mails have been wrongly sent regarding the BA strike issue, so my flight might still be confirmed despite the e-mail I have received...
BA 2783 0 OPO
08/09/19 19:10 LGW
08/09/19 21:20 320
Su,M,T,W,Th,F
60% / 33m J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y9 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

BA 2783 0 OPO
09/09/19 21:05 LGW
09/09/19 23:15 320
Su,M,T,W,Th,F
60% / 33m Flight Cancelled

BA 2783 0 OPO
10/09/19 20:30 LGW
10/09/19 22:40 319
Su,M,T,W,Th,F
60% / 33m Flight Cancelled
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Received this e-mail from BA a minute ago (big relief):

percysmith and thomas164 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Indeed, the BA flight is not cancelled yet. They are just not selling any ticket at the moment.
BA is in pannick-state with most of their flights cancelled on 9 and 10, but not on 8. SOme cancellation email have been sent by mistake.
Nothing that CX can do at the moment Give it some time.

Your flight is supposed to land in LGW at 21:30, which CX LHR flight are you taking?

If your BA flight is confirmed cancelled, CX can reroute you OPO-MAD-LHR on BA or IB. That will avoid the transfer LGW-LHR
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, the BA flight is not cancelled yet. They are just not selling any ticket at the moment.
BA is in pannick-state with most of their flights cancelled on 9 and 10, but not on 8. SOme cancellation email have been sent by mistake.
Nothing that CX can do at the moment Give it some time.

Your flight is supposed to land in LGW at 21:30, which CX LHR flight are you taking?

If your BA flight is confirmed cancelled, CX can reroute you OPO-MAD-LHR on BA or IB. That will avoid the transfer LGW-LHR
I’m leaving on the 9th Sep @ 12:00 to HKG.

Yes I have already pre-selected a couple of flights that would work and as you pointed out I would try to fly to LHR instead of LGW and probably staying inside the OW alliance will be the best strategy in case of a cancellation.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bot-driven Twitter responses have their limits. This one crossed that limit. OP got the right answer to the wrong question as most IRROPS occurs on the day of travel. In such an instance, the carrier causing the disruption would indeed be responsible for the reroute.

But, this is September 8, and it is not the day of travel. Thus, the ticketing carrier, e.g. CX is responsible.

Best handled by a telephone call. Before calling, OP should have the research in hand and be prepared with specific flights for a reroute. Given the level of disruption, it would be best to be armed with multiple alternatives. Do not rely on a CX agent to come up with something.
btonkid12345 and milfweed20 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Bot-driven Twitter responses have their limits. This one crossed that limit. OP got the right answer to the wrong question as most IRROPS occurs on the day of travel. In such an instance, the carrier causing the disruption would indeed be responsible for the reroute.

But, this is September 8, and it is not the day of travel. Thus, the ticketing carrier, e.g. CX is responsible.

Best handled by a telephone call. Before calling, OP should have the research in hand and be prepared with specific flights for a reroute. Given the level of disruption, it would be best to be armed with multiple alternatives. Do not rely on a CX agent to come up with something.

Thank you for clarifying some of the points, after some wise advice from some people on this thread that was exactly what I did, but fortunately did not have to change the flight.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
If you are a CX fare - it allows LH flights to FRA under the standard fare rules.
Here is one of the routing tables. (you can take any of the items from left to right and don't have to take all of them - such as TP to AMS - which is a funny connection - but you can do that too if you need to). It books into "C" class on LH. Even of Business is full no LH - you could force it also by using "Y" and flying that leg eco. Also - The paris connection is valid too since TP is allowed for inbound to CX at CDG. Finally - Milan is also valid - you are even allowed to connect into Milan from OP on AZ or TP if needed. So- in reality - all is possible and allowed under the rules. (note that as of right now - the CDG routing has space on CX 260 as does CX 234 from MXP) - - Good luck.

2. OPO-TP-AMS-VY/SN/SK/LX/LH/EW/AZ-ZRH/ROM/PAR/MIL/MAN/MAD/
LON/FRA/DUB/BRU/BCN/AMS-CX-HKG

63. OPO-TP-MIL-CX-HKG
65. OPO-TP-PAR-CX-HKG

The only thing is that CX 288 has no A-space on that date so if you're on A-Fare then they have to get approval to put you there.

Good luck.

[Late edit] - TP to London is also valid on the routing. REmember on these really long haul fares, the airlines with the long segment are not so worried about who the inbound connection is with and you will find that the rules are much more flexible that you would expect and it's not just a oneworld carrier that is valid. So - no matter what you have choices. Also - interesting you booked using the website - if you had built the fare using expert flyer and then found an agent to issue it - you likely could have had a better connection than this LGW-LHR road trip you are planning on now.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by milfweed20

I’m leaving on the 9th Sep @ 12:00 to HKG.

Yes I have already pre-selected a couple of flights that would work and as you pointed out I would try to fly to LHR instead of LGW and probably staying inside the OW alliance will be the best strategy in case of a cancellation.
Consider yourself lucky to be flying exLHR on 9th with CX rather than BA.

BA "over" cancelled flights on 9&10 and even on 8th to take advantage of >14 days cancellation which relieve them from EC261 penalties. But they are now reinstating flights. Your OPO-LHR on 8th is now confirmed and they are selling tickets on it. In case they cancel it (which is doubtful), they will reschedule you on IB via MAD-LHR. The only constraint is that you will have to depart OPO early, like 16:35 arriving LHR at 21:00.
Frankly I would not worry if I were in your shoes.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: MPC Silver
In the same situation as you, was flying HKG-LHR-EDI but LHR-EDI with BA was cancelled. Called them up, they said as a one time goodwill gesture they rerouted my flight to HKG-FRA-EDI. But the FRA-EDI flight will be ineligible for any CP/miles. Should I try to claim them? No way that I'm missing out on some miles... :P
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by the_emerald
In the same situation as you, was flying HKG-LHR-EDI but LHR-EDI with BA was cancelled. Called them up, they said as a one time goodwill gesture they rerouted my flight to HKG-FRA-EDI. But the FRA-EDI flight will be ineligible for any CP/miles. Should I try to claim them? No way that I'm missing out on some miles... :P
Doesn't ORC apply anyway?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

My bad. In case of canx of a partner:
- ticket issuer (CX) still has to handle
- but *operating carrier's* CoC applies

i made this mistake before.
and in the case of BA's CoC, there is no "another carrier's provision

your recourses are rather limited by this
Sorry can you clarify does that mean CX can basically sit there and do nothing even if the flight is cancelled? I’m on a redemption F ticket from HKG to LHR via CDG. The CDG to LHR leg is at risk of being cancelled (on 27 Sep so too early to know). I’ve called them multiple times to ask what is the solution if it is eventually cancelled, and I always get a rather vague answer and suggestions I should just buy a paid ticket instead to avoid possible inconvenience. Would they be able to put me on AF or pay for taxi + train to London? I don’t want to be stranded in Paris as I need to be in London on Friday late afternoon.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:57 am

//Sorry can you clarify does that mean CX can basically sit there and do nothing even if the flight is cancelled?

Yes. Wait for BA to sort you out.

They're correct in that buying your own tix is probably your best way to get there on time. SOL.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: MPC Silver
Originally Posted by percysmith

Doesn't ORC apply anyway?
TIL that something called ORC exists. Will definitely make good use of that. But does it still apply even though my FRA-EDI flight will be flown with Lufthansa (clearly not OW)?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Hikari

Sorry can you clarify does that mean CX can basically sit there and do nothing even if the flight is cancelled? I’m on a redemption F ticket from HKG to LHR via CDG. The CDG to LHR leg is at risk of being cancelled (on 27 Sep so too early to know). I’ve called them multiple times to ask what is the solution if it is eventually cancelled, and I always get a rather vague answer and suggestions I should just buy a paid ticket instead to avoid possible inconvenience. Would they be able to put me on AF or pay for taxi + train to London? I don’t want to be stranded in Paris as I need to be in London on Friday late afternoon.
A friend of mine who redeemed Asia Miles for BKK-LHR-CDG on one of the days affected by strike got her flight moved to the day before by BA, after some work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.