Connecting flight cancelled

Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Connecting flight cancelled

Hi guys, I've booked with Cathay the following flights OPO-LGW in J (operated by BA) and LHR-HKG in F (operated by CX), but I received an e-mail from British Airways saying the flight from OPO-LGW on the 8th of September is already cancelled. Now my question is if I should contact BA or CX to re-book me in other flight and if only flights from Star Alliance are available they should be able to book me a new flight in the same class or not?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contact Cathay as that is who you booked with.

May be associated with this:- LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=OPO-LGW...G&MS=wls&DU=mi
CX also fly from Madrid. Could you get to MAD?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Contact Cathay as that is who you booked with.

May be associated with this:- LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Great Circle Mapper
CX also fly from Madrid. Could you get to MAD?
I've done that but they won't do anything as they say "According to IATA agreement, disrupted airline has to arrange next available flights for passenger."

It's really sad to be flying in F with CX and they won't even try to solve this problem...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that text "According..." in the email?
I would still contact CX by phone. And again is they push back first time
Is this a cash booking or award? If paid F would expect some flexibility.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
By industry agreement/convention, if OP purchased the ticket (with money or miles) from CX, then CX is serving as the OP's travel agent for this itinerary and is responsible for rebooking unless the cancellation occurs on the day or departure (or when the ticket goes to BA/airport control, often at OLCI or T-24).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
By industry agreement/convention, if OP purchased the ticket (with money or miles) from CX, then CX is serving as the OP's travel agent for this itinerary and is responsible for rebooking unless the cancellation occurs on the day or departure (or when the ticket goes to BA/airport control, often at OLCI or T-24).
I paid for the ticket in cash.

Which number should I try reaching them at?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Is that text "According..." in the email?
I would still contact CX by phone. And again is they push back first time
Is this a cash booking or award? If paid F would expect some flexibility.
I tried contacting them on twitter and that was the response I got.

The ticket is a cash booking in F.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by milfweed20

I paid for the ticket in cash.

Which number should I try reaching them at?
Did you buy the ticket directly from CX or use a travel agent? This matters a lot. (I'm assuming that you didn't buy it from BA.)

I have no idea what phone number for CX applies for your current location (or status, class of travel, etc.), wherever that is.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you buy the ticket directly from CX or use a travel agent? This matters a lot. (I'm assuming that you didn't buy it from BA.)

I have no idea what phone number for CX applies for your current location (or status, class of travel, etc.), wherever that is.

Bought directly from Cathay.

I’ve tried again on Twitter with Cathay and got he following response:

”Disrupted airline would arrange alternative flight automatically but usually it takes time. The notification would be sent in advance, if passenger would not want to wait for the protected flights, we would recommend passenger to contact disrupted airlines directly. If the flight is operated by us, we can do the rebooking directly. However, if the cancelled/delayed flight is not operated by us, I'm afraid that you may have to contact operating airline. -Vinci”
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:43 pm

If it's a couple weeks before the first segment on your ticket issued by CX, AFAIK BA would have no access to the ticket or way to change it. BA could, in principle, change your reservation, but that's worthless without a matching (i.e., reissued by CX) ticket. You need to call again and insist, escalating to a supervisor if needed. The longer you wait, the fewer options there will be for rebooking the cancelled BA flight.
thomas164 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milfweed20
Bought directly from Cathay.

I’ve tried again on Twitter with Cathay and got he following response:
”Disrupted airline would arrange alternative flight automatically but usually it takes time. The notification would be sent in advance, if passenger would not want to wait for the protected flights, we would recommend passenger to contact disrupted airlines directly. If the flight is operated by us, we can do the rebooking directly. However, if the cancelled/delayed flight is not operated by us, I'm afraid that you may have to contact operating airline. -Vinci”
To me that is a cut & paste reply for a delay on the day / after OLCI ( as post 5 above)

As a paid first class passenger they should be looking after you.
Due to the possible BA pilot strike around your dates I would be avoiding BA
CX offer first class MAD-HKG
Is train/flying OPO MAD any harder than OPO-LGW on BA, bus/taxi LGW to LHR?

As we do not know where you are or if you have skype etc look at the CX web site for your region (lower left)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ontact-us.html
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ore-login.html

Edit
IB fly OPO-MAD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto_Airport
Personally I would have booked via MAD as first preference anyway, if the schedule allows that. Or overnight in MAD
LGW-LHR is never fun (or a first class experience)
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=OPO-LGW...G&MS=wls&DU=mi

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 23, 2019 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
CX offer first class MAD-HKG
Is train/flying OPO MAD any harder than OPO-LGW on BA, bus/taxi LGW to LHR?
They don’t. 359/351 to MAD and those birds don’t have F.
Iirc, LHR/FRA/CDG/MXP are the only European stations that Cx offers F to.

Good luck to the OP- CX should really be doing better here!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jagmeets

OK. You are correct. Looking again see MAD-xxx-HKG for First class. But that may still better if BA are not flying
https://book.cathaypacific.com/Catha...ing/owdAvail#/!

Agree CX should be doing better
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets

Then these hubs are the OP's choices if he/she wants to stick with CX IFC for the longhaul flight segment. Unfortunately CX is the only oneworld hub of the list, and I'd be a bit reluctant to rebook onto another connecting flight through LHR if there's a choice, given the apparently imminent strike by BA that will last through the two days following the OP's travel date. My concern would be that other union workers could engage in labor actions, such as working to rule, slowdowns, or sickouts) in sympathy there, which could result in long lines and other problems at LHR even if you're just connecting onto another carrier.

Obviously FRA is controlled by LH, CDG by AF, and MXP by AZ. I'd try to get CX to rebook you through either FRA or CDG even if it means using LH or AF flights within Europe or an IB connection through MAD (or maybe BCN) to get there, although IIRC there surprisingly aren't a lot flights between Portugal and Spain. I would try to avoid LHR around the strike days except as a last resort.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF WP
OT but secondary action is illegal under UK law

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.