Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Multi Carrier Award Redemption question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium, United 1K

HI guys,

I did some looking around but wanted some clarification to how the multi carrier award system is run. I know I'll need 2 non CX flights and up to 5 stopovers in one ticket?

I don't have set dates yet, but I will be in SFO end of September and want to hit up the following cities during my trip there -> SFO/LAX>CLT->PIT->DTW->ITH (not necessarily in this order, but just need to start at SFO and end at ITH with a day or two at each of those cities)

1. Are layovers restricted to 24 hours (I remember reading this somewhere)
2. Is total mileage calculated between SFO / ITH? Or is it the sum of distance between all my layovers?
3. Knowing that I'll need 2 non-CX flights, would my domestic trip be possible? I know North American one world flights are mainly dominated by AA, with the exception of Cathay's YVR->JFK. Is there any other carrier that does any domestic US trip that I can add to my leg? Worst case, I can add a LATAM flight in if it will not affect my overall redemption cost. I'm a little more flexible on the time this trip, but wanted to see if I could save some miles.

Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance and any help would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64
HI guys,

I did some looking around but wanted some clarification to how the multi carrier award system is run. I know I'll need 2 non CX flights and up to 5 stopovers in one ticket?

I don't have set dates yet, but I will be in SFO end of September and want to hit up the following cities during my trip there -> SFO/LAX>CLT->PIT->DTW->ITH (not necessarily in this order, but just need to start at SFO and end at ITH with a day or two at each of those cities)

1. Are layovers restricted to 24 hours (I remember reading this somewhere)
2. Is total mileage calculated between SFO / ITH? Or is it the sum of distance between all my layovers?
3. Knowing that I'll need 2 non-CX flights, would my domestic trip be possible? I know North American one world flights are mainly dominated by AA, with the exception of Cathay's YVR->JFK. Is there any other carrier that does any domestic US trip that I can add to my leg? Worst case, I can add a LATAM flight in if it will not affect my overall redemption cost. I'm a little more flexible on the time this trip, but wanted to see if I could save some miles.

Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance and any help would be much appreciated!
I think you are very confused here. A oneworld award requires 2 non-CX, non-KA carriers, not 2 non-CX flights! A domestic US itinerary cannot possibly satisfy this requirement. If Asia Miles is the only "currency" you have, you should just redeem a few one-way tickets (each can contain 2 segments and you can have a stopover in between). AA doesn't have direct PIT-DTW and DTW-IAH flights, so you will need to transit somewhere.

For T class (AA saver availability), you will need:
LAX/SFO-CLT-PIT - 15000 AM
PIT-ORD/PHL-DTW - 10000 AM (other transit points will require more mileage)
DTW-PHL-ITH - 10000 AM
So this is 35000 AM total.

Even if you were able to redeem this itinerary as a oneworld award, the mileage required would have been 35000 AM (if total travelled miles =< 4000 mi) or 60000 AM (if >= 4001 mi), so you would not have saved any miles.

FYI, for Asia Miles, either a regular or a oneworld award, it is always the mileage of all sectors combined that matters.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Aug 12, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium, United 1K
Thank you very much for the clarification, super helpful!
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.