Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$10,000 for a bed bug nightmare!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
The PAX never had a winnable case against CX as the reported time frame was too short for the large welts to appear.
Another non story by SCMP......every city has bed bug infestations.....CX is no more likely to have a problem than any other airline and probably less likely than many.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
..every city has bed bug infestations.....CX is no more likely to have a problem than any other airline and probably less likely than many.
Except Hong Kong is CURRENTLY in the midst of a widespread infestation affecting rich and poor. Just a very quick google pulls up reports on CX flights in 2016, 2017, 2018, and this year.

CX is certainly more likely when most airport workers can probably barely afford a subdivided flat where infestations are on the rise, and unknowingly bring them to work with them.

Last edited by sleuth; Dec 28, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by sleuth
Except Hong Kong is CURRENTLY in the midst of a widespread infestation affecting rich and poor. Just a very quick google pulls up reports on CX flights in 2016, 2017, 2018, and this year.

CX is certainly more likely when most airport workers can probably barely afford a subdivided flat where infestations are on the rise, and unknowingly bring them to work with them.
Your idea of Hongkongers ahows starkly of how shallow your view is.
infinitium likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Your idea of Hongkongers ahows starkly of how shallow your view is.
Sounds like a you problem.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by sleuth
Sounds like a you problem.
Your idea of most airport employees barely being able to afford a subdivided flats is very flawed. I wonder how you arrive at such a conclusion.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:58 am
Original Poster

the outcome

Following a lot of court discovery and disclosures, CX admitted fault as they couldn't deny that the seat was infested. They settled the case out of court and hopefully are undergoing some kind of maintenance program.
To be very clear, this could have happened on any airline and it is understandable that with such high turn of so many people in these seats bad things are bound to happen. The rub is how Cathay conducted themselves when dealing with a valid customer complaint. The evidence presented, the courts, and eventually the airlines confession / acceptance worked out and justice was done. too bad the legal system had to get involved as opposed to the airline just doing the right thing.
Hopefully, a good lesson was learned about what it means to be in the service industry, like all of us are!
To the haters on this thread who clearly work for Cathay Pacific, now that this is over and you can admit what happened I do hope there is a lesson for your organization and that you personally take it to heart before attacking the character of one of your well-paying customers.
NoY and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by rpezman24
Following a lot of court discovery and disclosures, CX admitted fault as they couldn't deny that the seat was infested. They settled the case out of court and hopefully are undergoing some kind of maintenance program.
To be very clear, this could have happened on any airline and it is understandable that with such high turn of so many people in these seats bad things are bound to happen. The rub is how Cathay conducted themselves when dealing with a valid customer complaint. The evidence presented, the courts, and eventually the airlines confession / acceptance worked out and justice was done. too bad the legal system had to get involved as opposed to the airline just doing the right thing.
Hopefully, a good lesson was learned about what it means to be in the service industry, like all of us are!
To the haters on this thread who clearly work for Cathay Pacific, now that this is over and you can admit what happened I do hope there is a lesson for your organization and that you personally take it to heart before attacking the character of one of your well-paying customers.
I don't work for CX and just have two clarification questions.
I assume you took CX to court in uSA. Correct?
You mention that this was settled out of court. Usually the other party settles without admission of guilt. But you keep stressing that CX admitted/confessed/accepted fault. Could you share with us what form this admission took?
nancypants and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by brunos
I don't work for CX and just have two clarification questions.
I assume you took CX to court in uSA. Correct?
You mention that this was settled out of court. Usually the other party settles without admission of guilt. But you keep stressing that CX admitted/confessed/accepted fault. Could you share with us what form this admission took?
CX admitted fault as they couldn't deny that the seat was infested.
I'm guessing OP concluded that CX "admitted" because they couldn't prove otherwise. I guess if you can't prove you didn't kill someone you might as well admit to the murder.
trooper, nancypants and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by brunos
Even I am not OP, I may be able to share some insights based on what I have mentioned 6 months ago:

Originally Posted by garykung
Also - I would like to also remind you about the Montreal Convention, which allows damages without showing of faults.
I believe OP sued CX under Montreal Convention. In that case, CX is liable as soon as OP can demonstrate injuries, even the bedbugs did not cause by CX. However, I believe OP went further by asking CX to produce all documentations, like consumer complaints, reports, etc. that CX has possession regarding any infestation for a case of negligence.

Needless to say - the more documentation CX needed to produce, the more it looked negligence than strict liability (i.e. Montreal Convention), as CX was aware of the issue, and apparently did nothing about it.

On that basis, CX accepted fault that OP's injury was caused by CX. Bottom line, paying damages under strict liability is always cheaper than negligence.
Happy and percysmith like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Even I am not OP, I may be able to share some insights based on what I have mentioned 6 months ago:

I believe OP sued CX under Montreal Convention. In that case, CX is liable as soon as OP can demonstrate injuries, even the bedbugs did not cause by CX. However, I believe OP went further by asking CX to produce all documentations, like consumer complaints, reports, etc. that CX has possession regarding any infestation for a case of negligence.

Needless to say - the more documentation CX needed to produce, the more it looked negligence than strict liability (i.e. Montreal Convention), as CX was aware of the issue, and apparently did nothing about it.

On that basis, CX accepted fault that OP's injury was caused by CX. Bottom line, paying damages under strict liability is always cheaper than negligence.
rpezman24 itinital post strongly suggests that he is based in the USA and he probably brought the case against CX there. There could be many ways his case could be constructed. The Montreal convention is very likely to be cited, But the court needs to establish that the bodily injury was caused by the CX flight.
If CX submitted an admission to the court, then it should be published record. On the other hand, the settlement itself is probably confidential. If CX simply admitted that they could not prove that this specific seat was not infested, that is a very weak statement to say the least. Apparently, neither could the OP prove that the seat was infested. Hence, it is left to circumstantial evidence in discovery and the judge appreciation. Airlines typically avoid the risk of setting a dangerous precedent and settle confidentially. The OP could have refused to settle.

If rpezman24 has any CX admission of guilt, that would be very helpful for potential future cases.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 30, 2019 at 1:59 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Cathay fight and threaten against anyone including their employees. There is substantive amount of ongoing cases, almost all CX will concede at the last moment or lose in court. I recall last year one judge was so fed up with seeing them in court fighting against their own employees felt he the need to make public comment to that effect.
Eagle2000 likes this.

Last edited by deadinabsentia; Jan 1, 2020 at 3:25 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:47 pm

Well I am glad this has been resolved against a firm like Cathay, which is unacceptable in any class but especially Business Class and at the prices they charge - which are some of the highest for many of their routes.

Totally agree on the point about being in the service/hospitality industry, we as consumers should not put up with this especially at a premium
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
The PAX never had a winnable case against CX as the reported time frame was too short for the large welts to appear.
Another non story by SCMP......every city has bed bug infestations.....CX is no more likely to have a problem than any other airline and probably less likely than many.
Lol.
Silver Fox and deadinabsentia like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Seriously I can't even think of the cost of bring CX so far that they would come to a settlement. If this same case happened to me, seriously I woudn't know what to do after complainting to the CX CS Dept.
Glad to hear an outcome and closure to both sides. (but goodwill lost already wouold already be lost)
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
@sluth
"CX is certainly more likely when most airport workers can probably barely afford a subdivided flat where infestations are on the rise, and unknowingly bring them to work with them"

i sometimes wonder what motivates posters such as 'sluth' to post such utter misleading and damaging nonsense.

Cathay pay reasonably well and many of the cabin crew share very nice flats (as do crew around the world) at Tung Cheung or Disco Bay. Others live with parents in very nice accommodation. None would need live in subdivided flats
Close to 40% of the HK population live in Government subsidised flats that are perfectly decent , They pay a greatly subsidised prepricurn rent and one only needs to look at the many new cars (including Mercedes and BMWs) in the carparks of these buildings to understand that most of Cathay employees are doing OK or better. than OK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.