Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

URGENT! Advice needed for connecting flight tonight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club

Oh my gosh! I did not plan for this and wasn't expecting this to happen. I could well miss my flight to London tonight, on VS207. Currently waiting for the CX764 from SGN-HKG dep 19:05 arriving HKG 22:40. Flight is showing on time and I've been tracking the inbound CX799 from HKG, due in at 18:05.

My plan was to PRINT my VS boarding pass so I am checked in already before check in closes at 22:55. Without a boarding pass in hand I doubt I would be able to make it to the VS transfer desk in W1 in time. I thought if I had my boarding pass already printed I could still make it even with a half hour delay. Premium Y is oversold and online check in is not possible hence i cannot print my pass (since I checked this morning). Anyone already in HKG airport now and can do me a huge favour and inform Virgin Atlantic that I am on the CX764 inbound, scheduled on time, so they can print my boarding pass and perhaps meet me at the gate? I am feeling desperate now. Should be boarding the flight to HKG in under one hour. I don't want to be stranded in HK again 😭😭😭
Old May 6, 2019, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Strawb
Oh my gosh! I did not plan for this and wasn't expecting this to happen. I could well miss my flight to London tonight, on VS207. Currently waiting for the CX764 from SGN-HKG dep 19:05 arriving HKG 22:40. Flight is showing on time and I've been tracking the inbound CX799 from HKG, due in at 18:05.

My plan was to PRINT my VS boarding pass so I am checked in already before check in closes at 22:55. Without a boarding pass in hand I doubt I would be able to make it to the VS transfer desk in W1 in time. I thought if I had my boarding pass already printed I could still make it even with a half hour delay. Premium Y is oversold and online check in is not possible hence i cannot print my pass (since I checked this morning). Anyone already in HKG airport now and can do me a huge favour and inform Virgin Atlantic that I am on the CX764 inbound, scheduled on time, so they can print my boarding pass and perhaps meet me at the gate? I am feeling desperate now. Should be boarding the flight to HKG in under one hour. I don't want to be stranded in HK again 😭😭😭
you should’ve interline at sgn with Cx. They can check u in
Old May 6, 2019, 5:47 am
Original Poster

I would have thought that if I couldn't check in online then my flight is under airport control while they do some seat shifting, so I doubt they would be able to check me in on separate tickets on a different carrier who is not in the same alliance. If I thought they could do that then I would have asked.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In that case, you are not connecting at all. Entirely separate journeys. While VS will likely be unforgiving if you miss a deadline, you should still call. You should also consider whether it makes more sense to change your ticket to tomorrow and thus not run the risk of having it cancelled and having to purchase a new ticket.

It is possible that if indeed your cabin is overbooked and at risk of oversale, that VS will make the change without fee. But, even if it charges a fee and fare difference, that may or may not be cheper than purchasing a new ticket.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:10 am

I would have thought that if I couldn't check in online then my flight is under airport control while they do some seat shifting, so I doubt they would be able to check me in on separate tickets on a different carrier who is not in the same alliance. If I thought they could do that then I would have asked.
they couldn’t issue BP but at least the bags would’ve been checked through and VS will know u r in the way
Old May 6, 2019, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
From this and other discussions of the OP's bizarre weekend trip I don't think s/he has any check-in bags.
Strawb and nancypants like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Ok, let me get clear. Here is your plan :
SGN to HKG by CX , 1905-2240 , connect VS HKG to LHR departure at 23.55. So you only have 1H15M transfer time and they are on separate tickets.

Im not sure to call it brave or stupid
Old May 6, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wyskevin
Ok, let me get clear. Here is your plan :
SGN to HKG by CX , 1905-2240 , connect VS HKG to LHR departure at 23.55. So you only have 1H15M transfer time and they are on separate tickets.

not to mention he already missed his outbound connection
Old May 6, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
So right now it's 2300 HKT, according to Google CX763 landed 2238 and VS207 showing on time...how's OP doing?
Old May 6, 2019, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Update 22:59 HK time: Flight landed 22:33, docked at gate 34 which is one gate away from W1. Off the plane at 22:42 and made it to transfer desk with 10 mins to spare. Boarding pass in hand and off to gate 27 now. Thank you Lord! ☺️
fairhsa likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wyskevin
Brave. Very brave I'd say. 😁 Now boarding.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for the update! That was a bit close for comfort IMHO but glad you made it and enjoy the flight ( a few more minutes in flight or a further away gate and it might have been a different story.)

Regards

TBS
Old May 6, 2019, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Update 22:59 HK time: Flight landed 22:33, docked at gate 34 which is one gate away from W1. Off the plane at 22:42 and made it to transfer desk with 10 mins to spare. Boarding pass in hand and off to gate 27 now. Thank you Lord! ☺️
Good job!

I received your PM, but just now, so probably too late to advise.

If you had missed your flight, I'm guessing that if you had been really nice to the VS people, they would have waived the change fee. I've only missed 3 flights in my life, but in all 3 cases, I was allowed to fly on the next day/flight. However, in my Delta case, I needed to call the Asia managing director in order to pull it off. I bought him drinks later.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Usually you can access the transfer desks at HKG if arriving on a previous flight.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
OP,

Great news for OP!

My answer to wyskevin's question would be Brave if you make, Stupid if you don't!

Of course YMMV!
wyskevin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.