Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Booking a Cathay + one partner reward ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Hello,
I am planning to book one way flight from US to India using Asia miles. Because I live in a US city, which doesn't have any Cathay flight, I am going to book a Cathay flight to India from a US Cathay hub and possible an AA or Alaska flight from my city to the Cathay departure city. Is it possible to combine two flights - one Cathay and another Oneworld or partner flight in one ticket? I could not find much information on such redemption. A Cathay flight would consist one transfer. A flight from my city to a Cathay hub would be nonstop or have one stop. How much miles would be required for such ticket? Is it equal to a number of miles for a single partner ticket?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I thought you are allowed 2 sectors on a one way award. So your best bet is probably to buy the Intra USA segment using money

Of course with the cheap AA policy you will need to recheck in the USA CX departure point.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by shd9
I thought you are allowed 2 sectors on a one way award. So your best bet is probably to buy the Intra USA segment using money

Of course with the cheap AA policy you will need to recheck in the USA CX departure point.
Does "sector" mean a flight leg? Does one way sector restriction apply to oneworld Multi carrier Award also?
Will I need to recheck even if I would flight by AA to Cathay departure airport? It is OK for me to buy another US domestic flight but I want to avoid checking my luggage second time.

Last edited by alex_sh; Apr 15, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by alex_sh
Does "sector" mean a flight leg? Does one way sector restriction apply to oneworld Multi carrier Award also?
Will I need to recheck even if I would flight by AA to Cathay departure airport? It is OK for me to buy another US domestic flight but I want to avoid checking my luggage second time.
Sorry if I made the whole thing confusing.

For regular Asiamiles awards, you are allowed only two legs per way. So in your case the two flights are either CX/KA+CX/KA or CX/KA + Partner(AS, AA, etc). The mileage requirement for CX/KA +CX/KA is a little lower than that of CX/KA+ Partner. What I mean is that for a regular award it is not possible to do IAH-(AA)-ORD-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-BOM
in one award due to the sector limit.

The OW multi carrier award is based on total distance flown, you can choose any number of OneWorld Partners (so no AS) without the 2 leg limit. But the mileage requirement is usually higher.

AA does not through check baggage on separate PNRs. So if you ended up redeeming for ORD-HKG-BOM for example, and bought an AA cash ticket from IAH-ORD, you will need to pick up your bags in ORD and recheck.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by shd9
AA does not through check baggage on separate PNRs. So if you ended up redeeming for ORD-HKG-BOM for example, and bought an AA cash ticket from IAH-ORD, you will need to pick up your bags in ORD and recheck.
I believe an AM phone agent can book an AA or AS award ticket and a CX or CX+KA award ticket in one PNR (otherwise know as one reservation). This does not change the fact that they will be redeemed as two separate tickets and the AA or AS award ticket will not come with free bags. However, in this case OP's bags will be checked through.

For AS, they would check through regardless of whether or not the two tickets are in the same PNR or not, and will in fact waive the bag fee as well. Check https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags
kaka likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Sorry to jump on this thread but didn't want to start a new one. Could some please check award availability for 3 pax HKT - HKG OW on 15/4/20. Thanks
Old May 20, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA
I have a similar question.

I want to redeem LHR-HKG-SFO in J. I found seats for the HKG-SFO sector but I cannot find seats for my dates I wanted for LHR-HKG but there are seats for FRA-HKG in J. There are also award seats for LHR-FRA on BA available for the same date. I asked the AM hotline agent to ticket them in the same PNR so BA can interline my bags but he replied this is not possible.

Is this true? Anyone had similar experience?

Last edited by sin3386; May 20, 2019 at 3:46 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Sorry to jump on this thread but didn't want to start a new one. Could some please check award availability for 3 pax HKT - HKG OW on 15/4/20. Thanks
come on
puh-lease, its not so hard to get on cx.com and click a few buttons?
fallinasleep likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.