Gate renumbering at HKIA

Subscribe
Quote: Oops I stand corrected but the approach that HKG used to use is highly similar to the same one that ICN uses, T1 gates are all below 100, the satellite is all 100-number gates and T2 are all 200-number gates. Using alphabet letters to denote exits or doors in Korea is something almost unheard of.
I would understand for Korea and perhaps even Japan. However, Hong Kong has a long history of western influence where even for people don't understand English, they still at least understand the alphabet!
i personally do not see any necessity to use alphabet as prefixes except for being able to reuse numbers.
as long as you have <100 gates in 1 section, having prefixes as the hundreds digit works fine.

unless you start calling terminals/piers A B C...
i personally do not see why they have to change something that is not broken
kaka and tentseller like this.
Quote: i personally do not see why they have to change something that is not broken
they want to make the rubbish bus terminal sound like its part of the main terminal

those flights cause backlogs on the runway (more seperation when sandwiched between widebodies), have low runway utilization (because it carries less pax) and goes to low value places.

should reject those flight or price then according to runway utilization.

then we dont need that so called terminal nor change gate numbers
That “bus terminal” is going to be joined to the main terminal.
And on a tangent of the ''bus terminal", the public buses in HK, including those from HKIA, have a plethora of letters in their route numbers.

Whilst there will be some who will struggle with letters the vast majority of the locals from the wider region will be ok with letters, although I agree that they would probably be happier to refer to letters as written rather than spoken as with varying dialects how letters are pronounced will vary and can get lost in translation.
kaka likes this.
I dont think letters would get lost in translation in Hong Kong but I seriously do not think there is any value to add to using letters instead of using 3 digits.
it did feel a bit weird in the beginning, but it works now
<edit - deleted, may have misunderstood the original>
Another possible reason not to use alphabetical prefixes to gates is that some pax may think or confuse is with their seat number, and mistake their seat as their gate number (I've seen this many times)

In addition, while most of local HK residents understand some degree of english, or at least know the alphabets, there are also a lot of transfer pax from other countries in the region, where english proficency is lower.
Quote: Another possible reason not to use alphabetical prefixes to gates is that some pax may think or confuse is with their seat number, and mistake their seat as their gate number (I've seen this many times)
possibly, and i see no good reason to use alphanumeric combo as gate numbers but....
Quote:
In addition, while most of local HK residents understand some degree of english, or at least know the alphabets, there are also a lot of transfer pax from other countries in the region, where english proficency is lower.
i think thats of the least concerns- many places around hk do actually use roman alphabets as part of the language.
I believe its because the North Satellite Concourse will be connected to the main terminal next year.

Speaking of which, Dragon Island is going to need a new moniker Dragon Peninsula anyone?
kaka, brunos, QRC3288 and 1 others like this.
Quote:

I expect the reason why this has been done a year in advance is because it will take some getting used to. Confusion from both the new bridge and renumbering of old gates was probably considered too much change at one time.
Ya I can see the reasoning behind that, I'm just hoping I won't walk to the wrong gate by mistake the 1st time, d'oh

Quote:
That bus terminal is going to be joined to the main terminal.
Better to have the "Bus Terminal" then using the 500s Buses, granted waiting for the SQ 388s to move off the taxiway at 3pm is annoying there.
At least we can still have priority boarding at the bus terminal vs. only having the privilege of being sardines on the bus first

Quote:
I believe its because the North Satellite Concourse will be connected to the main terminal next year.

Speaking of which, Dragon Island is going to need a new moniker Dragon Peninsula anyone?
LOL
Quote:
Dragon Peninsula actually sounds like a great name for KA in a parallel universe
Quote: This is simply not true. "T2" at HKG refers simply to a separate check-in area which some arlines use. There is no fixed link between where your plane leaves from and whether you use check-in area T1 or T2.
I think that post was referring to Incheon rather than HKIA
christep likes this.
Quote: All airports in mainland China and Korea don't use letter prefixes in front of the gate numbers because of pronunciation issues.
Well, PEK T3 do use letter prefixes (C01-C37, D01-D15, E01-E36).