FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1948453-credit-card-asia-miles-earning-opportunities-hk-2019-a.html)

kzyo Jul 3, 2019 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by sparkj (Post 31267373)
Note that it maxes out at 100RC (25 bonus MB points per RC, max 2500 bonus MB points)

I got like 4k RC expiring, was hoping it could help me ={

I think percysmith meant that converting RC into MB and then converting the MB into AM yields 25% extra AM than directly converting RC into AM, even without taking into account the effect of the one-off promotion.

For instance:

80RC > 4000MB > 1000AM, whereas
80RC > 800AM

So you should convert your expiring RC into MB first if you are looking to convert your RC into AM.

Note that converting RC into MB is subject to daily maximum of 1k RC, monthly maximum of 5k RC and annual maximum of 10k RC.

sparkj Jul 3, 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by kzyo (Post 31267525)
I think percysmith meant that converting RC into MB and then converting the MB into AM yields 25% extra AM than directly converting RC into AM, even without taking into account the effect of the one-off promotion.

For instance:

80RC > 4000MB > 1000AM, whereas
80RC > 800AM

So you should convert your expiring RC into MB first if you are looking to convert your RC into AM.

Note that converting RC into MB is subject to daily maximum of 1k RC, monthly maximum of 5k RC and annual maximum of 10k RC.

Oh I get it now... omg.... and i just paid 300 for the mileage program :(
Apparently it says that currently can't request moneyback->AM on the AM website, I guess need to do at Kiosk, any ideas where the Kiosks are? (nvm, I managed to get it working on the Moneyback App after a few fails).

Thanks!

bmtsang Jul 4, 2019 1:07 am

Use the MB App...however there is a limit of 10K per year

percysmith Jul 4, 2019 1:20 am

Originally Posted by sparkj (Post 31267592)
Oh I get it now... omg.... and i just paid 300 for the mileage program :(
Apparently it says that currently can't request moneyback->AM on the AM website, I guess need to do at Kiosk, any ideas where the Kiosks are? (nvm, I managed to get it working on the Moneyback App after a few fails).

Thanks!

If you haven't done any conversions you can ask for the $300 back

christep Jul 4, 2019 2:30 am

Originally Posted by sparkj (Post 31267373)
I got like 4k RC expiring, was hoping it could help me ={

Well there are worse things than just taking it as $4000 off your bill!

sparkj Jul 4, 2019 5:08 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 31268094)
If you haven't done any conversions you can ask for the $300 back

Just called and did that. Thanks!

hphreak Jul 4, 2019 9:32 am

So If i have say 6000 reward cash, this is fine? I can convert this to MB, and from MB convert directly to AM? ie 6000 RC > 300,000 MB -> 75,000 AM? (not taking into account 25% extra)?
This doesnt' break the 10k RC cap per year right, assuming I only transfer 1k RC at a time?
Any promo end date?

SLGO Jul 5, 2019 12:37 am

Originally Posted by hphreak (Post 31269119)
So If i have say 6000 reward cash, this is fine? I can convert this to MB, and from MB convert directly to AM? ie 6000 RC > 300,000 MB -> 75,000 AM? (not taking into account 25% extra)?
This doesnt' break the 10k RC cap per year right, assuming I only transfer 1k RC at a time?
Any promo end date?

I think converting your 6000 RC to 75,000 AM via MB is already a 25% extra than converting to AM direct.

go_around Jul 5, 2019 12:04 pm

I have had the Citi Premiermiles Visa for approx 5 years. Have generally done quite well out of it, converting Citi points to BA Avios during the bonus Avios promos. I have noticed two things recently:
  1. There doesn't seem to have been a bonus Avios promo for ages (unless I have missed it???).
  2. I keep getting promos, both targeted and general, which refer to bonus "Miles" but it is not always specified whether these are Asia Miles or if this is referring to the converted mileage equivalent of Citi points. Occasionally Asia Miles will be mentioned in the small print, but not in a way that comprehensively rules out the "Miles" referred to in the promo as including Avios. Are these only Asia Miles offers? The offer pages often (but do not always) ask for a valid Asia Miles number. To be on the safe side I have not signed up for a number of these. I am not really interested in Asia Miles.
If the Citi Premiermiles Visa is becoming less useful for Avios, wondering whether to consider the DBS Black World Mastercard/Amex or Dah Sing Bank BA Platinum Visa. Can't really be bothered changing but if it's worth it I will consider it. I use the Citi Premiermiles Visa for all general spending, inc. Octopus automatic add value. It is mostly used in HK but also when overseas. At the moment I spend enough on the Citi Premiermiles Visa annually to get exemption from the annual fee and don't want to incur an annual fee whichever card(s) I use.

Any thoughts from those with more experience than me?

percysmith Jul 6, 2019 12:06 am

Well, the latest June-Sept Premiermiles targeted promo I have is specifically AM, so if you want Avios you're SOL

jz123 Jul 6, 2019 5:09 am

HSBC Visa Infinite -> RewardCash (RC)

Hello!

I've got a Visa Infinite card by HSBC and I'm spending around 40k a month
35k is for rent and 5k others.

I've managed to setup the connection between HSBC Rewardcash and my Asiamiles account.
So, I can now transfer Rewardcash -> Asiamiles

BUT,
Is there anyway to see how many RC I earn each purchase?
I've also set up for the 5x program (I think I used 2x for dining and 3x for shopping or something like that)

Questions:
1/ Is there any way to change to 5x(Red hot rewards)
2/ How can I know what category my rent goes under(Red hot rewards)?
3/ Am I the only one which finds Rewardcash both confusing and hard to understand?:cool:

christep Jul 6, 2019 5:33 am

0) No, there's no way I know of to see how many RC per purchase.
1) No - it's a once per year choice (in late November/early December)
2) Rent is almost certainly uncategorised - which means 1 RC per $250; HSBC cards are not good places, in general, to put expenditure outside their Red Hot Reward categories.
3) Probably not. But I've sort of got my head round it.

Oh, and I'm not aware that HSBC has a Visa Infinite card in HK. Do you mean Visa Signature?

jz123 Jul 6, 2019 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by christep (Post 31274758)
0)
Oh, and I'm not aware that HSBC has a Visa Infinite card in HK. Do you mean Visa Signature?

Thanks! Yeah, that's correct! Visa Signature!

go_around Jul 6, 2019 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 31274249)
Well, the latest June-Sept Premiermiles targeted promo I have is specifically AM, so if you want Avios you're SOL

This is the “Enjoy as low as HK$1 = 1 Mile from summer spending! Earn up to 20,000 Miles” promo, right? Are the miles / extra miles for this promo credited to your Asia Miles account directly or do you receive them in the form of Citi points (which can then be used to redeem AM)? The promo is totally vague.

christep Jul 7, 2019 1:29 am

For any Citibank promo where you specify your AsiaMiles number when registering the miles are credited directly to your AsiaMiles account.