FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1948453-credit-card-asia-miles-earning-opportunities-hk-2019-a.html)

Bezarius May 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some feedback here - So after the previous discussions on which cards to go for, I decided to start off easy with the Citi Rewards card (did quite abit of shopping on HKTV mall). I'm now quite comfortable with getting a second credit card now for general spending (mostly dining), and narrowed my choices to the following: 1. Citi Prestige, 2. HSBC Visa Sig, 3. DBS Black World Mastercard or 4. Stanchart Asia Miles.

Any thoughts on the 3 above? I know Citi Prestige has the most perks but the feedback has been unless I can squeeze out the 4NF benefit, 3,800HKD annual fee is abit too high for my liking (I'm actually going to go for the SG version if I can). Stanchart Asia Miles kind of locks one into just Asia Miles which increasingly seems like a nightmare for redemption so that leaves me with HSBC Visa Sig or DBS Black World. I tried reading both up and welcome offer / perks wise, they both seem equal (not much perks to begin with either card anyway). Was wondering if you seasoned cardholders have any thoughts on the last two?

Many thanks in advance!

Kilian Zoll May 16, 2019 12:47 am

Originally Posted by sparkj (Post 31106242)
If you can, you should use the RSVP welcome offer for CX Elite Amex. The link I found may be expired, but sometimes it still works. Or you need to find the latest one from the HK forums.
$2/mile for HKD100k local spending, $1/mile for HKD100k foreign spending. Its the only welcome offer I think is worth churning at higher spending ranges.

Actually has anyone had experience cancelling the card before 1 year is up (there is a clause that says you have to wait a year to cancel, or they can retract your points)?

I cancelled my last CX Elite Amex card in November last year, so I don't think I am eligible for that offer.

sparkj May 16, 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 31106574)
I cancelled my last CX Elite Amex card in November last year, so I don't think I am eligible for that offer.

How about your wife? You can cycle between the two of you so you can use 1 welcome offer a year...

Kilian Zoll May 16, 2019 3:12 am

Originally Posted by sparkj (Post 31106659)
How about your wife? You can cycle between the two of you so you can use 1 welcome offer a year...

She's halfway into her current cycle of that card. :)

barracuda93 May 16, 2019 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Bezarius (Post 31106297)
Just wanted to get some feedback here - So after the previous discussions on which cards to go for, I decided to start off easy with the Citi Rewards card (did quite abit of shopping on HKTV mall). I'm now quite comfortable with getting a second credit card now for general spending (mostly dining), and narrowed my choices to the following: 1. Citi Prestige, 2. HSBC Visa Sig, 3. DBS Black World Mastercard or 4. Stanchart Asia Miles.
Many thanks in advance!

Considering coming devaluation of BAEC program, AsiaMiles looks much more promising than before. Unless you need EVA miles, SC card might be the thing to go for.
I would have advised Prestige under legacy price, but you cannot get it now (existing cardholders still keep it).

christep May 16, 2019 5:15 am

You guys are aware that we have a perfectly adequate public health system in Hong Kong where giving birth (as a HK ID holder) costs a few hundred HK$?

Kilian Zoll May 16, 2019 7:08 am

I have been whining about the Citi Prestige fee hike (which I as an existing card holder am not subjected to as yet) but if you use the 4th Night Free benefit extensively it will pay for the fee pretty quickly. I have HKD $15k+ in reimbursements from Citi already this year from hotel stays using that benefit.

Originally Posted by christep (Post 31107008)
You guys are aware that we have a perfectly adequate public health system in Hong Kong where giving birth (as a HK ID holder) costs a few hundred HK$?

I'm just paying up front and earning the miles -- someone else is paying in the end. Had that not been the case we would probably have gone public (or just gone back to one of our home countries).

Bezarius May 17, 2019 2:33 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 31106940)
Considering coming devaluation of BAEC program, AsiaMiles looks much more promising than before. Unless you need EVA miles, SC card might be the thing to go for.
I would have advised Prestige under legacy price, but you cannot get it now (existing cardholders still keep it).

Thanks barracuda93 and Killian, your views are much appreciated - I would have definitely paid for the Prestige under its previous fees... I may bite the bullet and take on the new fees. Any views on the DBS Black Card and the HSBC Visa Sig and how they can fit into spending patterns?

Kilian Zoll May 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Anyone know what the typical time span is in terms of RewardsCash transfers from HSBC to Asia Miles? From memory most of my transfers have happened within a couple of days, but I am currently at 8-9 working days since making the transfer from HSBC and it still hasn't reached my AM account.

Kilian Zoll May 19, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bezarius (Post 31110357)
Thanks barracuda93 and Killian, your views are much appreciated - I would have definitely paid for the Prestige under its previous fees... I may bite the bullet and take on the new fees. Any views on the DBS Black Card and the HSBC Visa Sig and how they can fit into spending patterns?

Re. Citi Prestige -- if you can make use of the 4th Night Free benefit then the card will easily pay for itself. Especially if you're able to book work travel (4+ night stays) using this card.

Depending on your willingness utilize credit across several cards and banks, your strategy would typically be to use specific cards for specific categories of spend (e.g. overseas, payWave, dining etc.) and then an everyday card for 'everything else' -- the latter is what I use Citi Prestige for, but other may use DBS Black, SCB Asia Miles BEA Flyer (which are all fee free) etc.

I personally signed up for the DBS Black for the reasonably attractive sign up bonus they ran up until the end of April. The current offer doesn't appear to be as good though.

Re. the HSBC Visa Signature -- any category you're expecting to spend at least 100k in you would typically assign to this card as it earns 1 mile per 2.78 HKD spent in a category of your choice. I have a significant amount of my spend overseas so I have picked the overseas category for both myself and my wife for this card.

tentseller May 20, 2019 5:08 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 31107008)

HK has a very reasonable user pay minimal price healthcare scheme, normal hospital birth usually end up less than 4 figures.

However, we can't comment on the parents who wish to give their children a head start in life by giving birth at HKSH! ;)

jz123 May 20, 2019 5:27 am

So,

I've settled up with HSBC Visa Signature i Hong Kong and applied for Asia Miles conversion(from Rewards cash)

Do I need to call in every time to convert my Reward Cash -> Asia miles?
Seems really 1990!

zeltergiset May 20, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jz123 (Post 31119117)
So,
Seems really 1990!

You can transfer to Asia Miles (and KrisFlyer) online - https://www.personal.hsbc.com.hk/1/2...scmd=mileage#4

Only have to call (or post/fax a form) for Avios.

Plenty about HK banking is indeed 1990s though...

fallinasleep May 20, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by zeltergiset (Post 31119462)
You can transfer to Asia Miles (and KrisFlyer) online - https://www.personal.hsbc.com.hk/1/2...scmd=mileage#4

Only have to call (or post/fax a form) for Avios.

Plenty about HK banking is indeed 1990s though...

Is anyone else having problems accessing the online transfer form?

Every time I go to check out after typing in the number of RC to be transferred, I am directed back to my personal banking homepage after entering my login details. I can't find the page to actually confirm the transfer.

percysmith May 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jz123 (Post 31119117)
So,

I've settled up with HSBC Visa Signature i Hong Kong and applied for Asia Miles conversion(from Rewards cash)

Seems really 1990!

You can also snail mail or hand in in branch?