Community
Wiki Posts
Search

waitlist question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

waitlist question

Hi, I have a waitlist question - trying to understand the best strategy here. Can you be on the waitlist for a business class seat and first class seat at the same time on Asia Miles or does that somehow mess something up? Just in case one clears before the other?
Also, same sort of question but if you are on the waitlist for a standard biz class seat I imagine you run the risk they only release a choice or tailored seat and you never end up clearing as somebody waitlisted at the higher price will get that seat. So do people recommend waitlisting for standard and just checking periodically to see if a higher priced award becomes available in case you decide to take it.

I'm looking for CX 888 from YVR to JFK on 2/18 in case helpful.

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by akayyva
Hi, I have a waitlist question - trying to understand the best strategy here. Can you be on the waitlist for a business class seat and first class seat at the same time on Asia Miles or does that somehow mess something up? Just in case one clears before the other?
Yes, you can waitlist on both. I don't know for certain if it impacts things, but I'm currently waitlisted exactly has you describe on a few flights. We're now about t-minus 3 weeks and the J seats are clearing (CHOICE started a few weeks ago. STANDARD is just starting now.)

Also, same sort of question but if you are on the waitlist for a standard biz class seat I imagine you run the risk they only release a choice or tailored seat and you never end up clearing as somebody waitlisted at the higher price will get that seat. So do people recommend waitlisting for standard and just checking periodically to see if a higher priced award becomes available in case you decide to take it.

I'm looking for CX 888 from YVR to JFK on 2/18 in case helpful.

Thanks!
The formula for how they release is complicated and secret. I know know they will release CHOICE seats further out, especially if the J is half or more full. As it gets closer to departure, they do seem to release STANDARD seats. I am waitlisted (as STANDARD) on some flights now; flights that are currently only offering CHOICE seats. At this point I'm not ready to grab the CHOICE seats because the price (in miles) is pretty steep. Of course, I'm running the risk that more seats will be sold, or others may grab the CHOICE seats, and CX might not release any STANDARD seats (until perhaps same-day).

Your flight shows 37-39 available seats (out of 53), so it's pretty open. PE has a lot of available seats. My guess is that they soonest they'll start releasing award seats for that flight would be January 7 or January 14.

Last edited by Gongzuokuang; Dec 2, 2018 at 3:42 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

thanks. have you ever cleared on a flight where you waitlisted on first and biz? just want to make sure youve had success and nothing got messed up
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
thanks. have you ever cleared on a flight where you waitlisted on first and biz? just want to make sure youve had success and nothing got messed up
I have waitlisted J and F on the same flight. I cleared J, but have not cleared F yet.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I have waitlisted J and F on the same flight. I cleared J, but have not cleared F yet.
I ever waitlisted J and F on a same CDG to HKG flight. F was cleared but not J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.