Search

A few upgrade bid questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
A few upgrade bid questions

Hi there

Looking for some advice/info on the upgrade bid process. Long story short I am due to fly the return leg of an economy trip from DXB to HKG next week. Booking was made through my work travel agent and is flexible (K bucket) allowing free of charge date/time changes. Questions are as follows:
  1. When is the cut-off time for the bid process, and how long before checkin do you find out if bid is successful?
  2. If I put in an offer for an upgrade and it is accepted, does my new ticket keep the same flexibility, or is it reissued as a restricted ticket?
  3. Do upgrade bid tickets credit at the original (Y) or upgraded (J) level for mileage/points (will be crediting to BA not CX)?
  4. If I put in a bid and it isn't accepted, is that likely to scupper any chance of a checkin/gate upgrade (as a OWE)?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Firemin
Hi there

Looking for some advice/info on the upgrade bid process. Long story short I am due to fly the return leg of an economy trip from DXB to HKG next week. Booking was made through my work travel agent and is flexible (K bucket) allowing free of charge date/time changes. Questions are as follows:
  1. When is the cut-off time for the bid process, and how long before checkin do you find out if bid is successful?
  2. If I put in an offer for an upgrade and it is accepted, does my new ticket keep the same flexibility, or is it reissued as a restricted ticket?
  3. Do upgrade bid tickets credit at the original (Y) or upgraded (J) level for mileage/points (will be crediting to BA not CX)?
  4. If I put in a bid and it isn't accepted, is that likely to scupper any chance of a checkin/gate upgrade (as a OWE)?

Thanks in advance
Re #4 based on my experience last year. Flew HKG-DXB-HKG. I put in low bids for both legs and got rejected. BUT, I got op-up to J for both legs at checkin! That's insane and I don't know why CX didn't take my money even though my bids were low, but eventually upgrade for free.

Anyway, so I think having an unaccepted bid does not affect op-up chance. And I'm just a low CX Silver at that time.
QRC3288 and pol212 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:42 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Upgraded tickets will credit at the original fare class.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Thanks for the replies

anyone got any ideas re: points 1 and 2?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The answers to #1 and 2 are answered in the Cathay FAQs:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...questions.html

but the quick answer is that bidding closes 50 hours before your flight and you keep the original flexibility of the ticket in the original class. You also don’t get a refund of your bid.
mbamejia likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: MPCGO
Re: #2 - if you change your booking, you don't keep the upgrade.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I'm flying some longhaul Y flights and got an invite to bid for upgrade.

Has anyone out there been double upgraded before? As in, you bid for upgrade to PE, get accepted 2 days before, and then op-up to J after check in opens?

If that is possible, then I might consider bidding for an upgrade to PE, else I don't know that I'd want to go out of pocket to pay for an upgrade to PE if there's then absolutely zero chance of an op-up to J because I've already been upgraded one class.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by midlevels
I'm flying some longhaul Y flights and got an invite to bid for upgrade.

Has anyone out there been double upgraded before? As in, you bid for upgrade to PE, get accepted 2 days before, and then op-up to J after check in opens?

If that is possible, then I might consider bidding for an upgrade to PE, else I don't know that I'd want to go out of pocket to pay for an upgrade to PE if there's then absolutely zero chance of an op-up to J because I've already been upgraded one class.
If it is truly longhaul then PE trumps coach anyway by 1000% so take PE over Y unless you wind up in the poorhouse. I'd not aim for paid followed by an OPUP especially if they are selling PE which means it is not so full they are OP Upping people to J at all so far.
jeffeverde likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:19 pm

Everyone paying Y, expect to be flown in PEY.

Everyone paying PEY, expect to be flown in J.

Some expects paying Y and fly in J.

Nobody buying J tickets anymore.

(Audio)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Audio
Everyone paying Y, expect to be flown in PEY.

Everyone paying PEY, expect to be flown in J.

Some expects paying Y and fly in J.

Nobody buying J tickets anymore.

(Audio)
I pay for not only J but refundable J and have done since 2003 and I am fine with no upgrades and such. Airline tickets are not lottery tickets. I cannot imagine having to mooch or bid or otherwise not be sure of a J seat.
jeffeverde likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.