Search

A333 on HKG-CAN! Isn't it insane?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: CX, BA
This has been for years.....
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Other fellows have probably mentioned all the possible reasons. To summarise it could be (1) it does get full; (2) fleet availability; (3) slot availability at both HKG, CAN and the airspace itself
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by A330343X
ba lhr<>mad 772
tk ist<>lhr 77w/ 332/ 333
ay hel<>lhr 333/ 359
I think the OP's point is that no other (European) airline operates a wide body on a route as short as 84 miles.

He's got a point, the ones I can think of that come remotely close are:
LHR-AMS BA 767 231mi
LHR-EDI BA 767 331mi
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by miklcct
Why the heck KA operates such an ultra short haul route using such a large plane? Isn't it a complete waste?!
Have you ever flown around Asia?

For such distance, even an A321 seems too big! Isn't using a regional jet or even a propeller to fly this connecting flight with increased frequency (to about 6 flights a day) better to attract connecting passengers from mainland China?
The two daily flights are already timed for connections. And you do realise that HKG slots aren't easy to come by, right?

Even world-class airlines such as Finnair use propellers to fly short-haul, and their short-haul can go as far as Helsinki to central Europe!
Yes but why doesn't AY follow other world-class airlines like CX/JL/NH/SQ/BR/CI/KE/TG/MH/QR/EK/EY etc in using big planes on short flights?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Even world-class airlines such as Finnair use propellers to fly short-haul, and their short-haul can go as far as Helsinki to central Europe!
WHY you concider Finnair as world-class airline?!
At least with business class if compare to ALL Gulf and Asian carriers and also LH or LO from Europe, by my pereonal experience Finnair is just BIG JOKE.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are those connecting cities of 8-12 mil ppl?
fakecd likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
There are transit passengers from/to many long-haul flights. My wife did that a while back. As J flight to CAN was about USD37xx and to HKG was about USD5xxx back in August, she flew to CAN to meet friends before returning to HKG to see family. They probably need a larger aircraft for passengers in PRD or those like my wife.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: CX Gold
If you regularly fly that route (HKG<>CAN) then you should be happy about it.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
It simply isn’t in the CX business model to operate anything other than its specified widebody aircraft. The flight is likely cost effective and practical for them.
Purchasing a fleet of regional aircraft, operating them and utilising valuable slots may not be a sensible option.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Back in the day, United used to fly their first ORD-MKE-ORD with a DC10-30. That's 67 miles, although to get into the arrival patterns at ORD it's more like 120 as you have to head out over the lake and come back.

Why? Because the plane was a LAX-ORD redeye getting in at 4:30am, and not needed until a ORD-SFO-ICN that left at 8. So a 5:15am to MKE and a 6:15am back got it away from the gates.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by Yachtman
It simply isn’t in the CX business model to operate anything other than its specified widebody aircraft. The flight is likely cost effective and practical for them.Purchasing a fleet of regional aircraft, operating them and utilising valuable slots may not be a sensible option.
err........................Dragonair (Cathay Dragon) KA which happens to operate the route, plenty of A321s & A320s
Yachtman likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Temedar
OT: I see you are a SU Silver member so it might be a surprise but Aeroflot does it on some routes (LHR for example).

SVO-LHR can be considered medium haul already so it isn't unreasonable using wide bodies (sorry I didn't consider this extreme in intra-Europe, I mainly fly to Northern and Eastern Europe, sometimes Central Europe, and never been to Western Europe, and every route I've taken are narrow bodies, including propellers).

The intra-Europe route I have taken using propeller was HEL-VNO, connecting the CAPITALS of two sovereign states, and this isn't so short, much longer than HKG-CAN!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
SVO-LHR can be considered medium haul already so it isn't unreasonable using wide bodies (sorry I didn't consider this extreme in intra-Europe, I mainly fly to Northern and Eastern Europe, sometimes Central Europe, and never been to Western Europe, and every route I've taken are narrow bodies, including propellers).

The intra-Europe route I have taken using propeller was HEL-VNO, connecting the CAPITALS of two sovereign states, and this isn't so short, much longer than HKG-CAN!
DXB-MCT, 217 miles, 50 minute flight operated by EK with an A380 with a full meal and drinks service (complimentary alcohol included)
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who cares if they are capitals? And, why are you bothered by the fact that KA offers a product that the market clearly demands?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
How DARE CX run a wide body on a short route between 2 normal cities when the Finns (and others) run prop planes between CAPITAL CITIES of different countries.
I really wonder where does CX get the cojones to so something so outrageous.

This is bizarre thread.
QRC3288, G-CIVC, wrp96 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.