Wiki Posts
Search

CX should be happy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Aus106080
Both Hk airlines and hk express are subsidized, like CN3, HNA and ME3.
If HNA is subsidised, why is it still in so much hot water? Certainly not a Too Big To Fail institution.

Originally Posted by CX HK
I agree. Especially given the unknown fate of its parent company HNA. HNA just sold a large amount of shares to some shell company registered in a tax haven... it's hard to believe an airline can grow healthily and safely when the parent company is so unstable.
Goodness. If startup airlines can't be fringe-financed, that is an enormous barrier to entry.
Flag carriers will be entrenched because they will be the only ones who can get funding.

Originally Posted by kaka
the non-conformance to rules and safety and labour rights is the other.
look at the salary bill of cx and then those conpanies.

Legacy contracts?
CX/Swire mismangement?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith

I don't understand why no one points out CX/KA's subsidisation by the HKSAR, namely in the form of the Third Runway.
how third runway subsides CX/KA?
and also, how the subsidy only target to.CX /KA but not other airlines?

From my point of view, third runway is funded by airport revenue and additional charged imposed to airlines and passenger.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:31 pm

$141.5b third runway funding is $47b AAHK surplus (read: HK residents' money that should've been returned to Consolidated Surplus), $26b construction levy (fair*) and $69b loans and bonds that AAHK have to service (fair*) https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...n-retail-bonds

The 47b taking from surplus is a subsidy by the HKSAR.

As for the beneficiary, who would benefit (be stopped from growing) if the third runway was not built? CX/KA's transit business more than O&D business.
Of course HX's transit business will suffer too but probably at least it'd be 2/3s smaller.

* one extreme argument during the Third Runway debate was if CX wanted the runway so badly it can build it itself; however I would admit this is perhaps a little infeasible for any air carrier except PG to do so I accept a governmetn authority doing it on a user-pays basis.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 25, 2018 at 9:38 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:42 pm

$141.5b third runway funding is $47b AAHK surplus (read: HK residents' money), $26b construction levy (fair*) and $69b loans and bonds that AAHK have to service (fair*)

The 47b taking from surplus is a subsidy by the HKSAR.

As for the beneficiary, who would benefit (be stopped from growing) if the third runway was not built? CX/KA's transit business more than O&D business.
Of course HX's transit business will suffer too but probably at least it'd be 1/3 smaller.

* one extreme argument during the Third Runway debate was if CX wanted the runway so badly it can build it itself; however I would admit this is perhaps a little infeasible for any air carrier except PG to do so I accept a governmetn authority doing it on a user-pays basis.
Where does the AAHK surplus come from? It is AAHK revenue and it comes from all airport user. Cx group undoubtedly is the biggest airport user and it shares the largest part of that.
AAHK will finance around half of them by debt and those bonds and loans finally need to be settled by AAhk future reveune and levy also. IF CX continue to be the dominant player in the future, CX will continue to contribute the largest part of funding in the future.

if third runway is not built, CX would be benefit in certain extent as CX group control arounf half of the existing slot. ( Therefore,BA oppose LHR third runway as BA think it is too expensive)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
If HNA is subsidised, why is it still in so much hot water? Certainly not a Too Big To Fail institution.
because hainan province is in trouble too, and being furthest from peking it is allowed to fail?

Legacy contracts?
CX/Swire mismangement?
mismanagement to a point its against the law?
even then, cx’s hedging debicle may be connected to citic ie peking.
and, does cx treat staff the same way me3/china?

can pilots smoke in cockpit like me3/china
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:51 pm

Where does the AAHK surplus come from? It is AAHK revenue and it comes from all airport user. Cx group undoubtedly is the biggest airport user and it shares the largest part of that.
Prior passenger use was within existing capacity. As resident/taxpayer I don't see why this money is not Consolidated Surplus except for the fact AAHK hoarded it and HKSARG want to skirt around Legco appropriation so didn't distribute it.

if third runway is not built, CX would be benefit in certain extent as CX group control arounf half of the existing slot. ( Therefore,BA oppose LHR third
That's another part I object to. I think it slots should be tendered rather than hogged.
If this results in surplus then distribute it back as a security fee offset/negative air passenger fee.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:00 pm

That's another part I object to. I think it slots should be tendered rather than hogged.
If this results in surplus then distribute it back as a negative fee.
There are some common mechanisms for slot allocation. However, I do not see any of them will deprive the current user right except the user give up the slot.

And most importantly, third runway program is a subsidy of CX group or any other Airlines. Over half of the construction is funded by current users (the debt party is finally settled by future users) . It is right that third runway will create the room for CX and other airlines to grow. However, they are paying for that now.
How you see AAhk revenue will not affect that third runways is NOT a subsidy programs.

Last edited by Aus106080; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:03 pm Reason: For amendment
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:17 pm

Over half of the construction is funded by current users (the debt party is finally settled by future users) .
I can also argue that over half of the ME3/PRC3 costs are picked up by real passengers, too.

The way I see it is 1/3 of the new runway costs are picked up by the taxpayer and >50% (up to 70% because the incremental capacity is being used to service transit) of those costs will benefit CX/KA.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:19 pm

Goodness. If startup airlines can't be fringe-financed, that is an enormous barrier to entry.
Flag carriers will be entrenched because they will be the only ones who can get funding.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I totally agree with your above point. I just mean that when the parent company of HX is in such political and financial turmoil, it is hard to imagine them being a healthy, long term, and viable challenger to CX. I would love to see them sold to a more solid parent company - SHK? CK? - so they have a clear strategy and direction, and can slowly build towards the goal.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:23 pm

I can also argue that over half of the ME3/PRC3 costs are picked up by real passengers, too.

The way I see it is 1/3 of the new runway costs are picked up by the taxpayer and >50% (up to 70% because the incremental capacity is being used to service transit) of those costs will benefit CX/KA.

I do not see airport revenue can treat as taxpayer money
1)airport is not always gererating revenue and can suffer loss.
2) if airport revenue is tax payer money, reduction of airport charge to attract business (which is common now) will become using taxpayers money to subsidze airlines. Normal business behavior will become political issue.
3) Airport use this own reserve for own development is a normal business behavior.
CX maybe one of the potential beneficial but it does not mean subsidy.

i guess you can study the term- subsidy in the economic class again, that's it.
kaka likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:45 pm

I do not see airport revenue can treat as taxpayer money
...3) Airport use this own reserve for own development is a normal business behavior.
If the airport is a private operator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney...rt_Corporation / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Airport_Holdings ) then I'd agree. Not the case for AAHK.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 26, 2018 at 12:12 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:13 am

If the airport is a private operator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney...rt_Corporation / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Airport_Holdings ) then I'd agree. Not the case for AAHK.
Not really common around the world, even in the developed countries.
Hong kong airport used to offer some incentive programs in the past like landing charge reduction for new destination.
During SARS period, airport reduced the landing charge and rent.
Do you think it is kind of subsidy by taxpayer?
Or the increase of landing charge or rent but less than the inflation rate, do you think it is subsidy?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:32 am

Not really common around the world, even in the developed countries.
I was looking at Japanese airports too (thinking about Jetstar Japan and Airasia Japan), thinking they'd all be Govt controlled. But I was wrong http://www.kansai-airports.co.jp/en/...aiairports.pdf

Or the increase of landing charge or rent but less than the inflation rate, do you think it is subsidy?
It's the usage of Consolidated Surplus coupled with anti-competitive policies that makes it a subsidy.

I have no idea how Singapore funds its airport expansion, they could have funded it out of Singapore Consolidated Surplus or Temasek for all I care. But they let an Australian airline set up shop there.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 26, 2018 at 9:41 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: CX, BA
IMO CX/KA and HKIA are largely influencing each other. When CX/KA does well, HKIA is benefited as a result of that, vice versa. I don’t see why the building of the third runway is subsidizing CX/KA. The third runway is not gonna be used exclusively by CX/KA.

On the subject of CX should be happy, Air Belgium ceases HKG route/TG scales down operation in HKG by giving slot to its smaller subsidiary and cancelling HKGICN route/HX cancelling the Australian route/SAA in financial trouble(?) according to FT/ BA closes HK crew base are more good news to CX.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
is the argument still over who is state funded? swire is uk based.
hna is backed by a mysterious charity that has all the links w the province of hainan.
airchina is part-privatized from caac
ek and ey is toy money of the sheks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.