Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vintage Champagne in F

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, IHG spire, Hilton Gold
Two weeks ago I took first CX F flight in my life (CX812 HKG-BOS) without any expectation.
But when I ordered champagne for my PDB, a bottle of KRUG 2004 showed up.
Found it listed in menu later.

Krug was available on my return flight (CX811) several days ago as well.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
what is "PDB"?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by QRC3288
what is "PDB"?
I think it refers to Pre-Departure Beverage
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by SuloL
I think it refers to Pre-Departure Beverage
thx
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:57 pm

This was also available on my flight today YVR-HKG (Krug 2004). I polished off the entire bottle. The flight attendant said I was the only one drinking it so if I don't finish it they will need to pour it out lol.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
lol, if you don't like Cuvee William Deutz....wait until you see what's in biz class.

A few thoughts:

I complain about the CX wine list too, but to say Cuvee William Deutz is blitzed by Krug or Tattinger is...extreme, no? Especially since CX is running them through rotation right now! And Krug, Tattinger and Deutz all clearly have 3 different styles which has been nice (if you've gotten all of them). Of course, it'd be better if they loaded two at once, I think the other airlines I've flown lately do that. I'm sure EK does, pretty sure SQ and JL too.

And I'd certainly rather drink William Deutz 2006 than Dom 2009. It doesn't get any more boring than the latter if we're spending $100+ USD per bottle. I don't know what CX's prices are for both, but I suspect given how much Krug CX buys, they could easily get Dom too at a good price given LVMH owns both, and I definitely compliment CX on not going for the world's most boring and overrated "fine" Champagne in the most recent Dom vintage. Krug + William Deutz would be a lot of fun. Krug + Dom wouldn't be at all.

One of the things I've enjoyed about this rotation is being introduced to Tattinger Comtes de Champagne; I never drank the Tattinger Comtes de Champagne before CX, at least that I was aware of. Krug NV makes frequent appearances at dinners, parties and whatnot so I can't say it's all that exciting to see it on board, even though it's lovely. (vintage is definitely a nice improvement, if nothing else but for variety purposes).

I guess if someone doesn't fly often, and this is a once in a lifetime thing I understand the frustration at missing out. But I certainly don't get that vibe from your posts. Just saying I get the criticism in some cases.

Those bloggers play up the Champagne so much it's crazy, pretty much based on price alone. Just reading their posts and chatter they clearly know next to zero about wine but they sure know the price of each.

But, if we're in the complaining mood: Champagne is obviously NOT the area on the wine list which has the biggest deficiency, not even close! The white wines are borderline terrible, their "fine" white wine is merely serviceable, and with the exception of usually one "bling" bordeaux (which forever seems to be mostly Ducru 2006, or Lynch Bages 2008 on select routes), the reds are usually poor as well. Even the "bling" red is boring and not well thought out. An older vintage, anyone? If folks are picking on CX's Champagne, well what do you think about the rest of the wine list? And don't even get me started on J class regular wine list...besides Champagne, the J class wines are usually completely undrinkable, with maybe the exception of the trusty NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

Veering somewhat off topic for this thread, but somewhere I agree with you bigtime is the food. Actually, the breakfast you're complaining about shares a lot of ingredients with J class. If I'm not mistake, the sausage might be the same, just presented differently. And the lack of options are a big problem IMO and the fact they run out. CX could really improve their approach to F class F&B + catering. They can just hire the CX FT board to help them and we'll handle it.
My problem with the Deutz (beside that I don't like it) is that, paired with the subpar quality ingredient for a F product, makes it look like CX, after promoting a new special premium champagne (Krug 2004) use the opportunity to offer a champagne that is less good (in my opinion and apparently in the opinion of many others) and at the same type cheaper at retail (although I would expect the difference to be marginal for CX with the volume of Krug they buy every year)

Few days ago I flew ZRH-PVG with LX, seat are from on another time, but still deliver comfort, cabin is understaff (2 crew for meal service one hidden crew or zero crew the rest of the time), but the food quality on board (and in the lounge) is miles ahead of CX, competition is tough, I don't think I'll keep flying CX if the price is better with other airlines due to no guarantee on the food and champagne quality (again personal, yes I know J class is bad but I find it acceptable for the price they provide ex-PVG)
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Had the Krug 2004 on JFK-HKG (CX 831) last Friday.

Interestingly, also had it on HKG-CGK (CX 777) last Sunday. I did not expect it to show-up on regional F flights.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by PresRDC

Interestingly, also had it on HKG-CGK (CX 777) last Sunday. I did not expect it to show-up on regional F flights.
Not surprising to see Krug 2004 on regional flights. Had it twice on NRT and KIX flights. Reds were Ducru 2006.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think even TPE F gets the Krug
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC

Originally Posted by freakinflyer001
Not surprising to see Krug 2004 on regional flights. Had it twice on NRT and KIX flights. Reds were Ducru 2006.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think even TPE F gets the Krug
I had Cuvee William Deutz HND-HKG last month. Go figure, that's their only reliable (and presuming one of, if not the highest yielding) regional F route.

I'm wondering if they've "settled" on Krug vintage as their new Champagne, or if they're just randomly distributing it around. To/from SFO twice in F the last few months, I had both Krug 04 and William Deutz, while Krug 04 was on the menu each time. In fact one of the FAs presented William Deutz to me as "Krug". Oops.

In the past, incorrect I'm afraid usually those routes were not Krug. TPE et al usually got Deutz Blanc de Blanc.

I think they must've just bought a big stock of Krug 04. However I'm still not sure how they're divving up the William Deutz and Tattinger Comtes de Champagne.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Krug 2004 on CDG-HKG 28 October, and Ducru 2006.
All other wines mediocre to bad.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Krug 2004 on CDG-HKG 28 October, and Ducru 2006.
All other wines mediocre to bad.
Am i the only one who thinks Ducru 06 is getting rather boring? It has been the Bordeaux on virtually every flight except the odd one with an even younger Lynch-Bages.

I realize there are worse problems to have than to fly enough F to be bored to death with the (poor) CX wine list, but could we at least have a few different options? Absolutely zero curation. The wine "consultants" are a joke. Since the rest of the list is so dreadful it's basically Ducru 06 on every flight. Since budget seems to be an issue, there are other very high quality French wines at reasonable prices - Northern Rhone comes to mind.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am i the only one who thinks Ducru 06 is getting rather boring? It has been the Bordeaux on virtually every flight except the odd one with an even younger Lynch-Bages.

I realize there are worse problems to have than to fly enough F to be bored to death with the (poor) CX wine list, but could we at least have a few different options? Absolutely zero curation. The wine "consultants" are a joke. Since the rest of the list is so dreadful it's basically Ducru 06 on every flight. Since budget seems to be an issue, there are other very high quality French wines at reasonable prices - Northern Rhone comes to mind.
Actually it is Chateau BRANAIRE Duluc-Ducru (4eme grand cru classe), not Chateau DUCRU-BEAUCAILLOU (2eme grand cru classe) which is ranked significantly higher.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Nice reading for me on this thread. Thanks all.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Actually it is Chateau BRANAIRE Duluc-Ducru (4eme grand cru classe), not Chateau DUCRU-BEAUCAILLOU (2eme grand cru classe) which is ranked significantly higher.
Yes indeed, should've made that clear. And beyond the classification difference, Beaucaillou is overall a superior wine by anyones accounting.

BUT....to be fair....the 06 Branaire is one of if not their best offering in the last decade. That might be the one year in the last decade where Branaire made the superior wine. Still too young though. But not as offensive as drinking even younger Lynch-Bages.

They must've bought a bunch of it and have apparently no other reds. They have so many problems that just seem to keep emerging (now: data breach) that I remain hopeless for any imminent improvement.

At least the vintage Champagne move is nice.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes indeed, should've made that clear. And beyond the classification difference, Beaucaillou is overall a superior wine by anyones accounting.

BUT....to be fair....the 06 Branaire is one of if not their best offering in the last decade. That might be the one year in the last decade where Branaire made the superior wine. Still too young though. But not as offensive as drinking even younger Lynch-Bages.

They must've bought a bunch of it and have apparently no other reds. They have so many problems that just seem to keep emerging (now: data breach) that I remain hopeless for any imminent improvement.

At least the vintage Champagne move is nice.
Indeed. By "ranked", I did not mean only the classification but the ranking of any wine aficionado.
And Krug 2004 is wonderful, a clear improvement over NV and my preferred champagne of all (but I am not a champagne aficionado).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.