Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX SIN MPC Dinner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
CX SIN MPC Dinner

So apparently there was a CX MPC dinner the other night at the Four Seasons in SIN

My friend (SIN based CX GO) got invited. She has also stopped doing the weekly HKG-SIN commute in Y since relocating. Funny thing was she never RSVPd to this event, and got a phone call from MPC asking why she did not RSVP and why she was no longer flying with CX.

Seems like MPC are tracking and making a big effort to win back their elites who qualified via Y (and as an aside I was surprised that even a GO got invited)

Last edited by ermen; Mar 2, 2018 at 4:33 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:38 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Was the call before or after the event?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah Gold's are invited, I'm a Singapore based GO. Last year too.

Originally Posted by ermen
So apparently there was a CX MPC dinner the other night at the Ritz.

My friend (SIN based CX GO) got invited. She has also stopped doing the weekly HKG-SIN commute in Y since relocating. Funny thing was she never RSVPd to this event, and got a phone call from MPC asking why she did not RSVP and why she was no longer flying with CX.

Seems like MPC are tracking and making a big effort to win back their elites who qualified via Y (and as an aside I was surprised that even a GO got invited)
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by sxc
Was the call before or after the event?
before the event - my friend didn't rsvp and they were wondering why. she ended up going in the end.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up Winning back CX Elites

Originally Posted by ermen
So apparently there was a CX MPC dinner the other night at the Ritz.
Not sure I am considered an elite at MPC, being only SL but I can confirm the above.
I received the following email last month from the "Loyalty Marketing Officer" at CX/MPC -

Dear Mr. Kaffir76,
I hope this finds you well.
My name is Pxxxxx and I look after Marco Polo Club members based in Singapore for Cathay Pacific.
We care a lot about having you as our member, which is why I’m writing to ask if you might have had any recent experience that affected your choice of Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon, or if your travel patterns have simply changed.
I would be very pleased to hear any feedback you may have, so we can continue to improve.
I see there are about 5 months left to renew your Silver status, and I hope you will continue to fly with us and maintain your current membership, with its many benefits.
Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely,
Pxxxxx Yxxx
Loyalty Marketing Officer
Marketing & Sales, Singapore
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:24 am

negotiate with Changi to get into the new T5 and go back to T1 in the interim if they want loyal members back
else grow a spine and play dirty like SQ
force HKG to shift them to the midfield concourse
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Ha! I’m a newly minted DM and all I got was a card in the post, sent on Valentine’s Day, from the Country Manager SG welcoming to the top tier. No dinner invite or Lai See yet. I’m going to lai see (来看) what they have planned for me later this year, I guess?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Probably reaching out only to those who have traveled with CX less this past year, a friend who is GO (formerly DM) got an email from someone from the PH office about what changed and whatnot.

I'm going to be passing through T4 later this month and really want to know if that's really one of the reasons people don't take CX over other airlines and how it compares to when they were in T1 (though I suspect it's because they don't guarantee a LH product for a certain flight and everything is to chance...)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I'm going to be passing through T4 later this month and really want to know if that's really one of the reasons people don't take CX over other airlines and how it compares to when they were in T1 (though I suspect it's because they don't guarantee a LH product for a certain flight and everything is to chance...)
Personally speaking, I find that T4 is leagues ahead of T1, in most ways. The lounge is also perfectly adequate, especially considering that it is intended to only be used for CX pax originating in SIN and staying for 15mins - 2 hours before their flight. My only gripe is that the gates are indeed quite a trek away and that the terminal could benefit from a lot more travellators, but other than that I enjoy flying out of T4 much more than out of T1!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
I am a SIN based Diamond member of CX since 1997 but have utilised the membership holiday benefit over the past 2 years so I can complete my British Airways Executive Club Lifetime Gold (oneworld Emerald) since I am sick and tired of telling CX about Lifetime membership and I will achieve the BA Lifetime on my last flight from SYD-SIN on 21 March 2018.

Since I have been on membership holiday, the folks at CX Singapore have completely isolated its most loyal member who provides them with referrals and business over the past 5 years from various corporations that I have worked with.

Not to mention my recent disappointment with the Area General Manager who hasn't been as proactive as the previous Area GMs. The best GM was Anna Thompson and she did a fantastic job. To add further salt on the wound, I asked for a corporate deal and requested their corporate sales team to reach out to get an account established but until today, I have heard nothing and its been over a month now. If this is the attitude of their team, then it shows they are not either hungry for business or the corporate sales team are just incompetent.

On that note, I did not receive the MPO Dinner invitation and this is a member who has clocked 2.4 million Club Miles since October 1997. I still remain a fan of CX but their Singapore office really needs to get its act together and I really hope the new Area GM will take a little more drastic action to those that are undermining the company's interest which is very evident from my recent experience.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
I am a SIN based Diamond member of CX since 1997 but have utilised the membership holiday benefit over the past 2 years so I can complete my British Airways Executive Club Lifetime Gold (oneworld Emerald) since I am sick and tired of telling CX about Lifetime membership and I will achieve the BA Lifetime on my last flight from SYD-SIN on 21 March 2018.

Since I have been on membership holiday, the folks at CX Singapore have completely isolated its most loyal member who provides them with referrals and business over the past 5 years from various corporations that I have worked with.

Not to mention my recent disappointment with the Area General Manager who hasn't been as proactive as the previous Area GMs. The best GM was Anna Thompson and she did a fantastic job. To add further salt on the wound, I asked for a corporate deal and requested their corporate sales team to reach out to get an account established but until today, I have heard nothing and its been over a month now. If this is the attitude of their team, then it shows they are not either hungry for business or the corporate sales team are just incompetent.

On that note, I did not receive the MPO Dinner invitation and this is a member who has clocked 2.4 million Club Miles since October 1997. I still remain a fan of CX but their Singapore office really needs to get its act together and I really hope the new Area GM will take a little more drastic action to those that are undermining the company's interest which is very evident from my recent experience.
Like with most companies, if you want to feel the extra love - it's best to be the big fish in a small pond, rather than a small fish in a big pond.
Cathay has 100,000's of elites. Other airlines have much less.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by d00t
Cathay has 100,000's of elites. Other airlines have much less.
Is this really true?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Have you really been able to rack up 35000 tier points in around 3 years? What’s your flying pattern?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by sxc
Is this really true?
Qantas has shared over the years there is 70-80K Platinums. Logic dictates that Gold would be double that, and Silver double or more again.
My guess is that CX would have a higher 'premium' base than QF, and therefore more elites.

EK also publically stated that 50% of flyers on any given EK flight are skywards members.

Therefore a reasonable assumption is that CX has 100,000's of elites. I mean, good for them, but if you're a standard diamond looking for something extra - you've got a lot of competition against other diamonds.
A smaller carrier like Sri Lankan might be more willing to do more for your biz.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by d00t
Qantas has shared over the years there is 70-80K Platinums. Logic dictates that Gold would be double that, and Silver double or more again.
My guess is that CX would have a higher 'premium' base than QF, and therefore more elites.

EK also publically stated that 50% of flyers on any given EK flight are skywards members.

Therefore a reasonable assumption is that CX has 100,000's of elites. I mean, good for them, but if you're a standard diamond looking for something extra - you've got a lot of competition against other diamonds.
A smaller carrier like Sri Lankan might be more willing to do more for your biz.
Cathay had roughly 10k Diamonds as of 2008. Where it is now I don't know, but I think 70-80k is definitely way too high.

For back of envelope you should do capacity growth + maybe another 20-50pct if you think the program has diluted. So perhaps 15-25k now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.