Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion of The Deck continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1895979-deck-opens-22-march-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by QRC3288
This a la carte dining was hands down the biggest problem for the HKSH to PP switch a few years ago, which we all complained about.
What was the issue re the change from HKSH to PP? I found a la carte dining to be the same - no big change there - in fact I thought it got better!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sxc
And sodexos reputation isnt high.
This does have me concerned as well.

Originally Posted by hl176
Otherwise, it's not that old of a lounge and doesn't seem to require any renovations anyways
Maybe they're adding a larger juice bar?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ermen
What was the issue re the change from HKSH to PP? I found a la carte dining to be the same - no big change there - in fact I thought it got better!
There was a 3-6 month period when Pier F was an absolute basketcase after the switch. Orders being forgotten in the kitchen, wrong things brought out, food taking 40 minutes, etc.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
@QRC3288 I think the inference is that all lounges will change over to Sodexo. So a la carte dining will be in scope.

I was positive prior to the Plaza Premium takeover. I have a negative sentiment re Sodexo. Firstly given Time to Win, Im sure the budget is not higher than before. And sodexos reputation isnt high.
A world wide company can have quite different operating and quality standards around the globe.

For example, in Cambodia you can obtain a Mercedes bus, which has little to do with the German brand, other then the star on the front and a partial ownership of the effective manufacturer of the vehicle (I think, it's Mitsubishi).
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by hl176
Sodexo? Is that a joke?

Any food catered by Sodexo is hideous and laughable. I went to one of the top boarding schools in Canada and where catering was switched to Sodexo and is stilled catered by them; completely inedible (Jack Ma's son attended, Lai Sun's Peter Lam and his son also attended, Nicholas Tse, and numerous others). Hospitals and prisons in Canada are catered by Sodexo.

Let's just say the food was so bad that people would rather just eat outside instead of at the cafeteria and once, the headmaster was seen dumping his plate of food in the trash after a bite. Sodexo became a running joke and meme around the the school to the point some individuals had #sodexo on one of the patches for their grad jackets.

I hope this is just a bad joke.
I've never flown Cathay, and I've been through Hong Kong a total of 2 times; however, I stumbled upon this thread and just decided to read on. I will echo these sentiments 100%.

Sodexo is garbage. My employer uses them for our on-site cafeteria. On my first day of work, the individual that hired me best described it as "The Rip-Off Cafe." The food is horribly overpriced and the quality is awful, at best. I avoid it at all costs, and will venture out in the middle of a snowstorm to get a slice of gas station pizza rather than put up with the filth that Sodexo throw on a plate and tries to pass as "food".

For anyone affected by this potential change, this sucks.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Having said that Sodexo manages the Virgin lounge at LHR so they do have the capability to run a quality show.

They also run run the AA LHR lounge - not so amazing.

So as mentioned, its all about their job spec, budget and how CXmanages them. Any shortcomings lay at CXs feet.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
Having said that Sodexo manages the Virgin lounge at LHR so they do have the capability to run a quality show.

They also run run the AA LHR lounge - not so amazing.

So as mentioned, its all about their job spec, budget and how CXmanages them. Any shortcomings lay at CXs feet.
Sodexo also runs the UA lounge in LHR and it's arguably the best lounge in T2 (and the best UA lounge worldwide, although that's probably a much lower bar...)
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
There was a 3-6 month period when Pier F was an absolute basketcase after the switch. Orders being forgotten in the kitchen, wrong things brought out, food taking 40 minutes, etc.
no sh!t
in september i went into the lounge and waited for 10 minutes. Then i just walked to the bar and self-ordered.

and let me try dig up a pic of my table...
​​​​​​​basically food residue on the floor..
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I think that we're rushing to judgement a bit on Sodexo. It currently caters nearly 200 airport lounges including:

● VS at LHR, LGW plus five US cities, South Africa and Hong Kong
● EK at LGW
● AA, 36 Admirals Clubs
● UA, 23 lounges
● MH at LHR
● GF at LHR

That's a pretty wide variety. Put me on the list of people who think that they can provide whatever quality the airline is willing to pay for. It's up to CX, not the caterer.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Long as they continue to serve Cathay Delight, i'll be good.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:24 am
Uli

When CX changed to Plaza I spoke with a top manager of them and he said everything will be much better than it was with Peninsula.
As a matter of fact, as longer as Plaza was managing the lounges as further quality went down.
Let us hope that the new change is for good.
Hottub Cowboy likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sxc
Sodexo is purely a faceless catering company that really is experienced in providing a product based on the money theyre given and have no skin in the game. I dont have high hopes for this change.
While I express no opinion on the vendor, the quality of a lounge depends highly on the resources that an airline is willing to put.

Given the CX's attempted cost-cutting rumor and losses, I had no hope at all.

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I have heard Sodexo currently provides catering at UA and AF lounges at HKIA.
You heard wrong. UC (United Club) is managed by Plaza Premium.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:48 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I cant see if this is a recent posting but:

https://www.jobable.com/sodexo-jobs/...-airport-97479
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I cant see if this is a recent posting but:

https://www.jobable.com/sodexo-jobs/...-airport-97479
Something I hadn't contemplated before this link you sent, but interesting.

I had assumed.... obviously wrongly.....that the lounge manager was a CX employee. At a franchised hotel, for example, a lot of times with new franchisees the manager is an employee of the brand, not franchisee. The brand in this case is CX and the franchisee is the operator. (HKSH / PP / Sodexo).

Not revolutionary to some folks on her I'm sure, I just assumed something incorrectly.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:03 pm

​​​​​​
​​​​​​Back on the topic at hand, I'm hopeful IF this change occurs, CX puts the proper budget behind it. I would kill for a Danny Lee or AustralianBT to do an analysis piece, where CX mgmt goes on record saying a few things they're trying to fix, and are spending more in certain areas. Obviously it would be promotional for CX mgmt, but it'd be great for mgmt to publicly tell us a little bit behind what is the plan. And why we should continue spending money with CX when the trend is obviously so negative (and CX becoming less competitive, dollar for dollar in J and F, and Y as well for that matter) for a few years now.

It would be fascinating if CX is indeed spending equal or more on Sodexo vs PP. Although it's probably wishful thinking.

Last edited by sxc; Jan 16, 2018 at 12:25 am Reason: Removed irrelevant part after thread split.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.