Diamond Plus being discontinued?

Old Nov 19, 17, 3:10 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: CX Diamond, SQ PPS, TG Gold, QR Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 28
Diamond Plus being discontinued?

Dear FTs

I've recently crossed the 2M mile mark and noticed on the mobile app that my status was shows as being "upgraded to DMP", or something along the lines.

I expected the "upgrade" to take place during my month of renewal. I noticed, however, that the message disappeared a week later and contacted the Marco Polo team and sent them a screenshot. I was then informed that DMP is no longer given and is obsolete by the MPC and what I saw was a bug no the app !

This was from the CS team in HK. Was I given some BS answer? Not sure why they would give and then take this and not sure if it is even worth my time. I am already PPS QR Platinum and Gold with 2 other airlines so keeping things up is difficult....my loyalty with CX is shifting...or perhaps they already know?

Would love to get some insights and experience on this.

Regards
jjones is offline  
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:28 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,015
DM Plus is (or perhaps was?) based on spend, not miles. The criterion was "top 1% of DMs by revenue".

Last edited by christep; Nov 19, 17 at 11:09 am Reason: Correction as per cxfan1960
christep is offline  
Old Nov 19, 17, 9:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Posts: 1,327
If you get DMP simply because you crossed the lifetime 2M miles mark then yes very likely it's a bug. DMP is the top few % of the DM by spending, so lifetime miles means nothing (actually that really means nothing in MPC...)

But if you tell me you cross the 2M miles mark in one year time... You really should call again and ask again...
sscywong is offline  
Old Nov 19, 17, 10:43 am
  #4  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,171
Originally Posted by christep View Post
DM Plus is (or perhaps was?) based on spend, not miles. The criterion was "top 5% of DMs by revenue".

I thought it was for the top 1% of DM. Was that changed?
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 17, 11:09 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,015
Sorry - yes, you're right 5% would be far too many people. 1% of DMs is still a few hundred.
christep is offline  
Old Nov 19, 17, 11:53 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Jetsmarter; Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Posts: 487
Well I mean once, the CX website displayed this when I logged into my account

hl176 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 17, 4:02 pm
  #7  
mxr
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: HKG, TXL
Programs: CX DM
Posts: 566
Originally Posted by hl176 View Post
Well I mean once, the CX website displayed this when I logged into my account
happened to me so many times already. I think OP just encountered a bug
mxr is offline  
Old Nov 19, 17, 4:15 pm
  #8  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,502
The bigger story is - has Diamond Plus been discontinued?
sxc is offline  
Old Nov 19, 17, 4:37 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX
Posts: 1,910
Originally Posted by sscywong View Post
If you get DMP simply because you crossed the lifetime 2M miles mark then yes very likely it's a bug. DMP is the top few % of the DM by spending, so lifetime miles means nothing (actually that really means nothing in MPC...)

But if you tell me you cross the 2M miles mark in one year time... You really should call again and ask again...
That's a good point... was this your 2 millionth mile of 2017 / your membership year?
CX HK is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 5:06 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Programs: CX GO, SPG GO
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
The bigger story is - has Diamond Plus been discontinued?
Not as of mid-year 2017. Colleague just hit, but was informed in-flight by the ISM with a hand-written card. Nice gesture.
Neat0 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:53 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: CX Diamond, SQ PPS, TG Gold, QR Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
The bigger story is - has Diamond Plus been discontinued?
This is exactly what triggered my curiousity... yes according the CS staff that called but I don't quire trust her statement. She might just not know enough.

An no - I clocked 2M after many years. Don't know how one could do 2M in a single year !

Regards
jjones is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 2:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,987
2 million miles doesn't seems possible in one year. I think it take an FA few years to hit that mark.
Ausriver is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 4:00 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 525
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
2 million miles doesn't seems possible in one year. I think it take an FA few years to hit that mark.
You'd basically need to live at the airport. My off the cuff math says it's about say 4000 hours of flying (taking into account take offs, landings, climbs etc) which works out to about 170 days. I suppose there's two ways of doing this. You either concentrate your flying for more than half the year or you fly every day and leave no more than 12 hours at an airport before getting on the next plane.
LoveHateRelationship is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 6:11 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX
Posts: 1,910
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship View Post
You'd basically need to live at the airport. My off the cuff math says it's about say 4000 hours of flying (taking into account take offs, landings, climbs etc) which works out to about 170 days. I suppose there's two ways of doing this. You either concentrate your flying for more than half the year or you fly every day and leave no more than 12 hours at an airport before getting on the next plane.
Wasn't there a guy - Tom Stuker (FTer) - who once had something like 25 consecutive meals on an airplane? But even he never hit 2m miles per year I believe.
CX HK is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 6:47 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: MNL / SFO / NYC
Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by CX HK View Post
Wasn't there a guy - Tom Stuker (FTer) - who once had something like 25 consecutive meals on an airplane? But even he never hit 2m miles per year I believe.
Well one could theoretically take round trip returns between two cities consecutively, say Hong Kong - New York (which is around 8,000 miles) and they'll just need roughly 125 round trips to reach 2,000,000 base miles, if they fly F or J it would be faster to reach it.
TravelwhileyouEat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: