Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New MPC club points chart effective 8 Dec 17 for CXKA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MPC club points chart effective 8 Dec 17 for CXKA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Regional Product

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
The worst thing about Cathay is not their superior hard product, is that for regional routes they can screw you over. I always buy regional fares based on aircraft (if I can), but I've found out the amount of homework done is irrelevant, they can switch craft on you any second and you found out you're on one of those grandmother 777s.
It will be very interesting to see what choices CX makes on the future regional J hard product particularly in light of what SQ will offer on its 787 10s. If recent media articles are to be believed SQ's offering will be Stelia Opal lie flat in 1-2-1.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Arbeysix
It will be very interesting to see what choices CX makes on the future regional J hard product particularly in light of what SQ will offer on its 787 10s. If recent media articles are to be believed SQ's offering will be Stelia Opal lie flat in 1-2-1.
SQ also plans and still puts their regional config on 8 hour flights...

any flight more than 5 hours on CX get long haul config....

no need for CX to match them

especially when their long haul cabins are inferior to CX is Y,PEY and J
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hew204
I was able to use the ones I earned this year for my partner and me to CMB over Easter, which resulted in a real value of over USD4k. If I continued to earn them, I could use them when I travel to India and DXB. All these routes allow for Y->J (lie flat) upgrades.
I will see how lucky I get with DM op-ups this year and see if my comparison view on the value of GO upgrades changes.
You are lucky to be flying to destinations like CMB, DXB & indian cities. Those routes came with best value for those GO upgrade vouchers.

Assuming a typical DM would fly at least 30 sectors with CX, 10% more op-up ratio will give you 3 op ups, normally one class up, not to mention it could certainly be a long haul flight op-up.

Then you will also be taking OW partner flights, F lounge is certainly better than J lounge in most major airports..
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: LH SEN; CX DM; DL PM; Hyatt GL
Odd...
I get the local competition for regional routes argument, valid for HK.
Looking at my case, for Manila there's a dozen or more choices for work trips to Europe and US in business class, which don't get an increase from CX... but now I get more points for my personal regional trips in Y/PY?!
Or does CX want me to switch all regional and long-haul travel from J to Y/PY?
Certainly doesn't entice me to argue with the travel department why I need that particular CX flight despite it being pricier than say TG, NH, SQ, not even to speak of the middle eastern airlines.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Kachjc
yes please go fly SQ, who send their regional cabins on 8 HOUR MISSIONS

and please stick with EK, whose stellar new 777 long haul business cabin is 2-3-2 configuration!

The average CX flight has a superior hard product to any of these airlines , yet you chose them.

SQ still has 777;s without power sockets!!

CX has not screwed you over, its EK's and SQ's trashy bling and gold trim...
At least SQ regional J is nearly flat-bed and CX regional J is a poor PEY seat.

CX regional route without confirmed aircraft just sucks.

At least SQ won't change 777 or 380 in HKG-SIN few hours before departure, at least you get FLAT-BED J seat on ALL SQ aircraft, at least SQ's soft products are way better than CX's.

I mainly fly SEA route and I want to throw CX away everytime they change my LH J products to a PEY seat.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Hmm...if we purchase and fly on an S/N/Q fare now, but retroactively claim for the flight only after 08.Dec, I wonder if we will get the higher Club Points.

After all, crediting to the MPC program has always been based on credit date instead of actual flight date.
Well, to answer my own question...I decided to retroactively credit a few flights a few days ago, which I had originally planned to do after my current membership year ends on 31.Jan.

The flights were TPE-HKG and HKG-PVG, both in Business Class (subclass: I), and flown in Oct.2017. I submitted the retroactive claim on 09.Dec, and the results were that 15 and 25 CP, respectively, were credited. This is the same CP under the old scheme, and the flights did not credit at the higher 20 and 30 CP, respectively. Hmmm...I guess CX IT is smarter than I thought.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Hmmm...I guess CX IT is smarter than I thought.
CX IT and artificial intelligence, "Where the intelligence is artificial"
cartman7110 and fishball like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This post was made that discusses rumoured changes to the BA Executive Club:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...xecutive-club/

It articulates very well some of the points made in this thread, and some of the mistakes CX has already made.

The point of ANY loyalty scheme should be to encourage INCREMENTAL business. It is NOT about over-rewarding those who spend the most and ignoring the rest. This is especially true in aviation where your top customers are NOT actually your customers, as the tickets are bought by their investment bank employers.

When I was in banking we had a BA deal which meant I had to use them if possible. You could give me zero Avios or 1 million Avios per flight, it made no difference. The percentage of travellers on fully flexible Club World tickets who have no control over who they fly with due to corporate deals is very high – so why over-reward these people?
A lot of the profitable CX business is built on corporate travel. And of course, you should reward that. But the new program ignored that you should also drive revenue at the lower end, and now the incremental revenue horse has bolted.

And anyway the opportunities for status arbitrage are many. If BA put status out of reach due to a spending threshold or other changes, you can simply start crediting BA flights to American, Finnair or any other oneworld airline. That costs BA real money.
We know this has happened as well for CX. People have left the CX program. If they still fly CX, they might be crediting to other programs which erodes CX's margin.
kaka, cxfan1960, QRC3288 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
To resurrect an old thread:

I am utterly confused: Am trying to book SIN-HKG-TAO rtn on the CX website, and in the "Select your fare" section, Economy Standard and Economy Flex are both shown as earning 30 CP (Which could only possibly refer to one half of the trip, so that is misleading already). When I select some flights, the total CP tally (As shown at the bottom of the page) increases to 60. However, on the CX website, on the "earning club points" sub-page and specifically in the club points earning grid, the short distance zone of 751-2,750miles zone is shown to yield 15 CP in fare buckets in M/L/V and 20 CP in Y/B/H/K.

So my question is: Should "Economy Flex" not book into "Y/B/H/K" and therefore yield 20 CP per sector, i.e. a total of 80 CP for the whole trip?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
I think (unfortunately) both M and K fall into economy standard. So for M you should get 15 for each sector (SIN-HKG or HKG-TAO) and for K, 20 for each sector.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, OZ Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
It's been two years since I last stepped on a CX flight, and I still have MPC Green status.
Guess they don't enforce the 20 status point requirement just like the old MPC system.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My perception is that if you have "history" (i.e. some higher status in MPC) then they often give a year's grace. But then you're gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.