Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New MPC club points chart effective 8 Dec 17 for CXKA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MPC club points chart effective 8 Dec 17 for CXKA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
For me these adjustments are very much welcomed as I am a leisure-out-of-my-own-pocket traveler. So mostly I would fly in mid-tier economy class (L,M, sometimes H or B if necessary) and/or Premium economy (E). Only occasionally I indulge in Business class (D or I) if the price is right.. One year I am Silver, the next I go down to Green. Then I am Silver again and Green again the following year. This year I could feel it is a lot harder to even get Silver with my flying pattern. This year I have flown one-way DUS-HKG-PVG in E, PVG-HKG-CMB return in D, and PVG-HKG-CGK return also in D and yet I am still shy of being Silver. Booked QF to fly in December and CX insisted it does not give CP. So looks like next year i will be green again.

I actually have flown a lot more this year than the flights i mentioned above but those were credited to KLM and Air Canada since I was kindda losing hope to attain Silver this year.

So I can see that these changes will/might/hopefully make it easier for me to attain and retain Silver status more consistently instead of ebbing and flowing.

Take aside CX admitting that it has messed up so bad, at least it is trying to fix the situation. it might not be perfect or hit right bulls eye but it is still a step welcomed. I guess there will always be someone who wins and someone who loses
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
So...my NYC-HKG-SIN/JPN/SE Asia E fare will be 160CP. Two trips make me Silver (Ruby) while same trips in AA make me Sapphire. Two more trips make me Gold (Sapphire) while same trips in AA make me Emerald...I see the gap here.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Mix feeling for me as I do fly intra-Asia in business class monthly however I fly primarily longhaul in first and business. The adjustment didn't really address to people like me who pay a significant amt of money for those longhaul F/J flights.

I now can re-qualify DM even faster but then there is no real incentive for me to fly more with CX after I reach 1800 CP. It is nice to see that they are adjusting CPs for Y/PEY flyers but with this new CP system there will be more people who can reach DM. I have no problems with that but they also need to look out for those who basically fly so much and can easily retain DM and beyond within the membership year. Someone suggested mid-tiered benefits at 2400 CPs or even more and I agreed.

As of now, I have no incentive to stick with CX after getting 1800 CPs. I am happy to divert my business to BR and SQ as is.
Dave510 and boybi like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Mix feeling for me as I do fly intra-Asia in business class monthly however I fly primarily longhaul in first and business. The adjustment didn't really address to people like me who pay a significant amt of money for those longhaul F/J flights.

I now can re-qualify DM even faster but then there is no real incentive for me to fly more with CX after I reach 1800 CP. It is nice to see that they are adjusting CPs for Y/PEY flyers but with this new CP system there will be more people who can reach DM. I have no problems with that but they also need to look out for those who basically fly so much and can easily retain DM and beyond within the membership year. Someone suggested mid-tiered benefits at 2400 CPs or even more and I agreed.

As of now, I have no incentive to stick with CX after getting 1800 CPs. I am happy to divert my business to BR and SQ as is.
I am totally with you here as I also fly only in J but somehow my flying pattern (mostly regional J + a few long J) cost me US$45k a year but yet barely get me to DM!! The new changes are not useful at all!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by leungti1
I am totally with you here as I also fly only in J but somehow my flying pattern (mostly regional J + a few long J) cost me US$45k a year but yet barely get me to DM!! The new changes are not useful at all!
I agree I spend a lot on long haul J and yet will get zero benefits from this change. I will be looking for another program since as I understand it long haul J is the most profitable for airlines. While no program is perfect I will find one that recognizes and rewards me for the high spend.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter

Originally Posted by leungti1
Originally Posted by sjmoss23
I agree I spend a lot on long haul J and yet will get zero benefits from this change. I will be looking for another program since as I understand it long haul J is the most profitable for airlines. While no program is perfect I will find one that recognizes and rewards me for the high spend.
Yea, I'm in this camp. I suspect I was the guy recommending something at 2400 CP.

Right now I 'struggle' to hit 1800 any longer than 8 months. Even that's "tough"; aka I burn points and fly competitors early in my membership year to no avail, I still will cross 1800 CP within 8 months. These changes will mean I'll hit 1800 in about 6 months, aka faster. But with nothing above 1800 to aim for, I actually think my spend will either stay flat or decline. If there was 2400 it'd be nice to get something else...here's what I say: how about at 2,400, CX guarantees to open up D/I and A class revenue to use our Asia Miles points.. It's still infuriating with the spending amounts to have to haggle with MPC, ask them to call CX to release a seat, inevitably they don't half the time, then you wait on the waiting list. If that doesn't go anywhere I dunno maybe a 24 month membership year or bring back the right to use lounges when we fly non-CX metal, or give us a few more upgrades or whatever.

But I think the main point of these changes has nothing to do with us, it is fixing the stupidity of earlier. Which was discriminating against higher-yielding Y and PEY pax within the economy / premium economy segment. Thinking like that was a fail and these changes are essentially an admission as such. These changes aren't intended to address us at all. I still think it's a positive, even though for fliers in our category it is a minor negative...it will mean more GOs and DMs, meanwhile we'll get more CP but we have zero need for more CP. But I say they deserve it and if it helps the financial health of CX, and we actually can get some better F&B back in F and J then I'm in. This really is about fixing some major stupidity which was low hanging fruit and they totally wet the bed (stupidity, I'll add, for which they paid millions in dollars to moron consultants for).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Make your pick everyone. Do we want more PRC based flyers in the Pier F, or grAAbbers and grASbbers? Well, at least the former is contributing to revenue...
I don't care who's in F lounges as long as they behave properly (i.e. no smoking or throwing coins into jet engines).

CX certainly receives revenue from partner award bookings. It's a whole lot less than a cash ticket, obviously, but they're not non-revs. And we all know that MPO members use their AM to book F/J on AS/AA/BA/JL/QF. But I don't hear AA/BA elites complaining about that...

I've read some of the CX threads started by grASbbers and they can be obnoxious, so I'm obviously not defending that attitude of entitlement. But clearly CX feels that partner award redemptions are a good arrangement, so I really don't get why there's so much scorn for these folks.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: CX DM
Still CX is not fixing the HKG to BOM route or any indian destinations for better club points or incentives and for a 6:45hrs flight time (from cx website hkg to bom) and Bom to HKG 6:30 flight time surely deserve slightly more points for economy or buisness class points

1. still cant buy ticket online because only full y is there so need to call a local agency and they always push you to buy high class e.g L class only there to choose and not cheap...
2. ex bom ticketing and it means buy direct from CX hotline and i dont want to comment (not easy)
3. service cx flights to india...may be Chinese based crew do have some attitude issues and dislike working to indian destinations but no competitors even services for indian airlines services are better but no alliance etc...
4. no pey class like dxb route but soon 77g is coming back but fare is not cheap and not easy to get E class because past experience told me 2 years ago always so full...
5. the new system makes it 2 times harder or have to fly double or more to get the same status...because one way mile is 2653 vs 10club points
6. aisamiles is still in zone C for this route and it means same as medium and medium long haul points 80,000 for a business class ticket return...not cheap...
7. difficult to book business class tickets I class unless you chase the agent in hk or india to help you to look for one...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swingaling
I don't care who's in F lounges as long as they behave properly (i.e. no smoking or throwing coins into jet engines).

CX certainly receives revenue from partner award bookings. It's a whole lot less than a cash ticket, obviously, but they're not non-revs. And we all know that MPO members use their AM to book F/J on AS/AA/BA/JL/QF. But I don't hear AA/BA elites complaining about that...

I've read some of the CX threads started by grASbbers and they can be obnoxious, so I'm obviously not defending that attitude of entitlement. But clearly CX feels that partner award redemptions are a good arrangement, so I really don't get why there's so much scorn for these folks.
first kick out those who use speakerphone.
the thing i like about jl lounges is, you are not allowed to use talk on the phone in the open lounge area.
QRC3288, clazza and Dave510 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kaka
first kick out those who use speakerphone.
the thing i like about jl lounges is, you are not allowed to use talk on the phone in the open lounge area.
Oh yes, please. That is so obnoxious.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I mostly travel long haul in Business (D/I). The changes do nothing for me.
While I just renewed Diamond, I am considering switching to AA. I need one less long haul in the period to qualify.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
This is probably about retention rather than bringing back those who have left.
I think so too. This is about CX wanting to stop the bleeding. If one looks at the overall picture objectively, that is indeed the more urgent task. It doesn't make sense to try to attract new members (or old ones back) if your current members continue to leave. Retention is cheaper than acquisition. For those that are looking to leave - now there's one more reason to stay.

I think CX originally bet that with HKG being a home (and captive) market, it could get away with making the changes it did to MPC. It appears that CX miscalculated and ex-HKG flyers (who are the more profitable ones) actually did find alternative to CX.

Lets see what happens in the next 24 to 36 months. More changes means the bleeding continues.

Btw, I think the true winners are the consultants. They were paid to come up with the current system and now getting paid again to study and propose the fix. (Obviously I'm talking about the industry in general - I don't know whether CX hired the same firm to come up with these changes).

Last edited by Rivarix; Nov 3, 2017 at 3:19 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Kachjc
This is a very positive change!

High yielding Y passengers have an incentive to choose CX over others
Why? When so many here realized how great and wonderful it is with other airlines. Why would you pay higher fares for Cathay Silver and OWR, when you can sign up for BA or AA and easily make OWS with the same flying pattern?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Very good move from CX. Although I'm a little bit worried that this would mean AsiaMiles devaluation in near future (hopefully not).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Won't work for me as long as I keep flying CX metal.

MEL-HKG return in PEY on CX metal gets you 60 Qantas status credits vs 90 Cathay club points.

Of course if you fly Qantas metal, MEL-HKG return in PEY gets you 140 Qantas status credits. You get Gold after 5 trips. But then you are putting up with an inferior flight schedule just for status, seems like the tail wagging the dog.
Ture. QF give low SC for people choosing other carriers in the routes QF flying, so if you based on AUS this may not help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.