Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-HKG with parcel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
BOS-HKG with parcel

Asking for a friend. CX GR on Y flying BOS-HKG.

She has one piece of standard luggage within the 23kg/158cm regulations.

However she has a second piece - a parcel above 158cm but under 203cm total dimensions. Weight of second piece is 21kg.

Her questions:
1. Can she send the second piece as regular luggage (Because the total dimensions are above 158cm?)

2. If she cannot do #1 , does anybody know the charges for sending the second piece?

She just got the parcel now and nobody is answering the phone at CX local reservations office.

Any answers appreciated.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I don't know if she can or can't check this in as luggage, but typically if excess baggage charges are going to apply, it's going to be cheaper to mail the parcel or send it as unaccompanied baggage.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...c-flights.html

I strongly believe CX is a 23KG/203 CM airline
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
But here is says for US flights it’s not 203cm

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...c-flights.html

Economy Class
Each piece does not exceed 158cm (62in) in size (sum of the three dimensions) and the weight of each bag does not exceed 23kg (50lb).
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Ouch you are right. There is a chatterbox at the bottom, have you tried clicking on it
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

You mean the box that links to this:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-charges.html

Zone 5 - US150 per piece not over 32kg / 70lbs in weight or 203cm / 80in long in total dimension
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist

Zone 5 - US150 per piece not over 32kg / 70lbs in weight or 203cm / 80in long in total dimension
with the ultimate answer of this. Probably the same link
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist

Urs is extra piece of luggage when i think u only have 2 pcs so should be oversized luggage (100usd)
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Your friend can call the HK reservations office to note down that you have an oversize bag - its usually a lot faster than trying to catch the local reservations offices.

Regardless, she will highly likely be able to check both bags through to HK. If there are any issues with cargo space, they will ask her to sign a waiver to place the oversize parcel on stand-by, but it will still get delivered to you eventually..

The only issue is whether your friend will need to pay for the excess baggage charges. The gate agents are a bit inconsistent with this, particularly if you can say / claim the parcel contains sports equipment that is except from the 158cm limit. I travel frequently with bicycles, sometimes 2 and have never had to pay extra charges if they fall within the applicable weight limit.

Items that qualify as a single piece of luggage
When you fly to or via America, your luggage is counted in a piece system with a weight and size limit.

The following articles count as one ‘piece’ (158 cm / 62 in, in total dimensions) regardless of their actual dimensions:

One sleeping bag or bed-roll
One rucksack, knapsack or backpack
One pair of snow skis with one pair of ski poles and boots
One snowboard and boots
One water surfing board (158 cm / 62 in of length, regardless width)
One golf bag containing clubs and accompanying golf shoes
One duffle-type bag or type 22 bag (soft-sided and zippered bags with side panels that can be opened with a zipper)
One suitably packed bicycle. This should be: non-motorised touring or racing single seat bicyle; handlebars are fixed and tightened sideways or parallel to the frame or enclosed in plastic foam or similar material; pedals are removed or fixed inwards or enclosed in plastic foam or similar material; tyres are deflated; packed in a strong and protective hard case or recognised bicycle box.
One pair of standard water skis or slalom water skis
Suitably packed fishing equipment consisting of two rods, one reel, one landing net, one pair of fishing boots and tackle box
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input. I’ll pass the information to my friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.