Wiki Posts
Search

What are the chances..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX
What are the chances..

An interesting thing happened on my return trip (SYD-HKG) and was wondering the likelihood

Booked in PEY and was only a CX GR during the time, was upgraded to J on both flights.

Does this mean there were no other MPC elites on the flight as I highly doubt that would have been the case.

Cheers!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Many people on Chinese flyertalk claim the op up order nowadays to be all MP elites > oneworld elites. This was actually validated by someone claiming to be CX ground staff @ JFK to be true. (I'm sure you will see replies stating that they have seen otherwise, but YMMV). It has since gotten even more complex with the ACV scores and all that. Well, it's not surprising that GR gets opups sometimes. Plus with 4 flights a day, it's unlikely that every single flight on every single day of the week would be elite heavy.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
It is getting really complicated now... I have a friend flying HKG-ORD with his family in PEY and all of them (1x CXAM, 2 nonmember) were upgraded to J at check-in. Now I rather believe that op-up is completely random.

CX members trump all OW elites? That's strange... They enhanced their MPC program to drive people away to other FFP, and now they want to get rid of them completely? Doesn't matter anyways with the bid upgrade
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:44 am

MEL-HKG has a good chance of upgrades if you're in PEY, I imagine SYD-HKG is similar. The PEY cabin is small, so there's only 21 people to choose from if they want to move someone up. Also it depends on the flight, upgrades are more common on flights that don't suit business travellers (early morning and midweek flights especially).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:41 am

And travelling alone helps!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX
Interesting.. may as well never pay for J again and stick with PEY :P
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
MEL-HKG has a good chance of upgrades if you're in PEY, I imagine SYD-HKG is similar. The PEY cabin is small, so there's only 21 people to choose from if they want to move someone up. Also it depends on the flight, upgrades are more common on flights that don't suit business travellers (early morning and midweek flights especially).
Never got op-up on HKG-SYD/MEL or return in PEY... Maybe because we were flying E class?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:41 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
I used to get opupped about 80% of the time when flying in a low cabin class and I was just AM in the past. However, this was when I was too young to sign up for MP but I was travelling alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.