Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Earn to FFP A, use FFP B status benefits - not allowed now? [Probably still allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn to FFP A, use FFP B status benefits - not allowed now? [Probably still allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dsquared37

It was a 2 hr regional flight but it still sucked. I assumed the agent had done something odd until seeing this thread and realized that the policy was already in place.
How was the policy in place? You got what you wanted - checked in with AA, and then changed to CX.

Once it changes to CX then whatever status attached to that will apply.

If the (rumoured) policy was in place, when you asked to change from AA to CX, then they would have said no, you must keep AA on your boarding pass/booking.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by sxc
How was the policy in place? You got what you wanted - checked in with AA, and then changed to CX.

Once it changes to CX then whatever status attached to that will apply.

If the (rumoured) policy was in place, when you asked to change from AA to CX, then they would have said no, you must keep AA on your boarding pass/booking.
I did not get what I wanted.

The policy in the past allowed for FQTS and FQTV thereby retaining status from FFP#1 while accruing with FFP#2. However that is not what occurred in my case, they simply replaced both fields rather than switch only FQTV - which would have been a much easier task.

True, I was not outright denied the change but neither did I receive what was expected (based upon past precedence).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:50 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

@dquared37 I'm not convinced that agents know how to handle FQTV and FQTS. Here's an anecdote:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-seperate.html

It seems that you have had success in the past, but I suspect that even though Amadeus has spots for FQTS/FQTV in their system, they might not be utilised properly so that miles credit to the correct account.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by sxc
@dquared37 I'm not convinced that agents know how to handle FQTV and FQTS. Here's an anecdote:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-seperate.html

It seems that you have had success in the past, but I suspect that even though Amadeus has spots for FQTS/FQTV in their system, they might not be utilised properly so that miles credit to the correct account.
I'll fully admit that is a possibility and had I been more alert when she mentioned excess baggage I would have engaged her about it. Sometimes TPACs trounce me and sometimes they don't. That day was the former.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:15 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I was able to access the flounges without problem by just showing my AA EXP membership card - agent assured it'll be fine

Also confirmed that regardless of class of service operating carrier pays for lounge access (and yes, the lounge dragon admitted that AA126 was a big money maker)
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:48 am

Still possible...

In CX check-in website, you can certainly change it even after you are checked in, but once you changed it once, you couldn't revert it. I would have to ask the CX check-in agent to change it right at check-in in May. Had no problem to change the FFP at LHR in Feb 2017, and the Pier in Jan 2017. Things could change a little bit later. Fortunately, I usually figure out what FFP I would like the flights to credit to before check-in. However, you are right, it's smart in CX's part, but people may not know the accrual rules until they have time to sit and research after check-in.

I'd opt for any changes before the gate, but it would be considerate if you know what FFPs you are going to credit the flights from the get-go. The easiest way to do it is to check in with your desired FFP, and show your best OneWorld Elite membership card for lounge access.

PS: I'd admit, however, that it will be awkward to go to the F check-in counter when your crediting FFP or ticketed cabin is not eligible for F check-in.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: CX AY DL
I was able to change it at the gate in YYZ, August '17.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
it is possible period.
i can even do it online myself.

i bet an agent lied to OP.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I was able to access the flounges without problem by just showing my AA EXP membership card - agent assured it'll be fine

Also confirmed that regardless of class of service operating carrier pays for lounge access (and yes, the lounge dragon admitted that AA126 was a big money maker)
so i must have fueled cx's losses going to QF lounge heehe
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Mind if I ask, who do you confirmed with?
I just transit via PVG (HKG-PVG-LAX) HKG-PVG on KA, PVG-LAX on AA. During the transit desk, the agent gave me the boarding pass, and then asked for my BA card, saying "you are crediting to BA, I need your BA card for the lounge access". She put my flight number as well as seat number on a ticket/coupon, but wrote nothing related to BA on the card, however, it was first class to CA lounge. It doesn't seem clear to me the operating carrier pay for it without debiting the FF account.
Note, my boarding pass showed my BA # and EMERD.
On a site note, it's on separate ticket, and HKG-PVG on BA award ticket. the agent in HK helped me switched to earlier flight as well as "thru check" the 2nd ticket (AA stock). I was also offered meet and greet at the gate, probably, due to BA status. And the agent told me I do not need to reclaim my bags, and she place a stamp on my luggage receipt !! Very smooth experience, I would definitely reconsider this route again (I was hesitate before) knowing there is a transit desk without the need of going thru the immigration, probably saved me an hour or more. The bag came out from LAX without issue.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:23 am
Suspended

Had anyone been banned from doing this of late? I surely didnt.

@sxc @cxfan1960 if noone is actually banned from doing this should this thread be archived or have the title changed to clarify?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:37 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kaka
Had anyone been banned from doing this of late? I surely didnt.

@sxc @cxfan1960 if noone is actually banned from doing this should this thread be archived or have the title changed to clarify?
One of the unspoken rules of Journalism is that if a heading ends with a question mark, the answer is usually "No".

Anyway, title has been amended.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Data Point 11/09 - Flying "status-less" on BP due to CX renewal, I used my CX BP (with no FFP) and AA EXP card to enter Qantas first lounge in LAX, which is notorious for lalala'ing PAX about access rules.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
data point jul 18 bumping old thread

flew regional KA On Q class. i left my QF emerald number as i had very good feeling it is close to oversold from expertflyer... T-75min sort of "as expected" (shouldnt say this cuz it typically draws critisim that you shouldnt expect opups bla bla bla but hey i am here to game the system) online checkin shows i am now seat 15A. but i waited patiently for flight to close

T-45min approached wing F to get my new BP at that point asked if can change to MPC for credit (positive change for Q fares after june22 devaluation) but was explicitly told because upgrade is processed on OWE it was "not recommended" to change to MPC... ok cool didnt press issue there he didnt say No..

at gate T-20min during boarding. asked if i can change to MPC.... they processed it without issue BUT didnt print new BP they simply said its now changed so not sure. i will report if credit shows up or not.... BTW its been a while since i bot CX economy let alone getting upgraded so not sure if this is norm but BP no longer states "I" anywhere to show its an opup? i wonder if thats why gate agent just processed the MPC number? i suspect if they knew it was opup on first glimpse they may habe given me yada yada.... so strategy might be get new opup BP first, then change FFP at seperate location?
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
points did post for my flight even i asked gate agent to change at very last minute and enjoying op up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.