Wiki Posts
Search

Xiamen XMN turnaround procedures

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Xiamen XMN turnaround procedures

OT a bit... anyone knows if such turnaround in XMN is feasible?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SLGO
OT a bit... anyone knows if such turnaround in XMN is feasible?
Technically, yes. But, I would not plan on it always succeeding.

Last year, I had about half a dozen trips to XMN where I just needed to sign some papers at the airport, and then turnaround back to HKG on the same day. So, I would book the outbound HKG-XMN on KA 618 (ETA 11:00) and then the turnaround on KA 603 (ETD 15:05). This is NOT a same-plane return.

Twice, I had the good luck that KA 618 arrived early, and I was able to go through immigration and customs, sign my docs, and then head back to the departure hall when the counters were not closed yet for the KA 619 XMN-HKG (ETD 12:05) service. KA 619 is the same-plane turnaround for KA 618. I think the check in for KA 619 closes at 11:20 or 11:25. I would then ask the check-in staff whether I could switch my flight from KA 603 to the earlier KA 619. Since my tickets were always rebookable without fee, the check-in staff would let me do it. One time, I even got upgraded to J (I am MPC Diamond).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Technically, yes. But, I would not plan on it always succeeding.

Last year, I had about half a dozen trips to XMN where I just needed to sign some papers at the airport, and then turnaround back to HKG on the same day. So, I would book the outbound HKG-XMN on KA 618 (ETA 11:00) and then the turnaround on KA 603 (ETD 15:05). This is NOT a same-plane return.

Twice, I had the good luck that KA 618 arrived early, and I was able to go through immigration and customs, sign my docs, and then head back to the departure hall when the counters were not closed yet for the KA 619 XMN-HKG (ETD 12:05) service. KA 619 is the same-plane turnaround for KA 618. I think the check in for KA 619 closes at 11:20 or 11:25. I would then ask the check-in staff whether I could switch my flight from KA 603 to the earlier KA 619. Since my tickets were always rebookable without fee, the check-in staff would let me do it. One time, I even got upgraded to J (I am MPC Diamond).
Thanks for sharing your experience. Would it be possible NOT to go through immigration and custom and do the same-plane return? I wonder if it is possible to have the boarding pass issues during check in in HKG.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for sharing your experience. Would it be possible NOT to go through immigration and custom and do the same-plane return? I wonder if it is possible to have the boarding pass issues during check in in HKG.
You might be able to get a BP for the return flight in HK, but I'm not sure how you'd get the (required) immigration stamp on it without going through immigration.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
You might be able to get a BP for the return flight in HK, but I'm not sure how you'd get the (required) immigration stamp on it without going through immigration.
I think it is a must that you have to go through immigration to get the stamp on the BP.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Is it a must to have the BP stamped in XMN? What if one has a mobile BP only
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:10 pm

You can print out a paper BP there if needed.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I flew from XMN twice in the past three months (in J and Y). I could not print a BP, had to go to counter. Could checkin by internet but not issue a BP.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:24 pm

I didn't know you could get a mobile BP for XMN-HKG flights on KA??!!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:16 am

To my understanding there is simply no airside transit at XMN, meaning you will have to clear immigration and customs just like normal arriving passengers and depart again.

If you check at airport information page at Cathay's website, you will notice they advise international transit passengers to clear immigration, collect bags and check in again for the connecting flights at XMN. For you it will be arrival immigration then departure immigration and security check.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I didn't know you could get a mobile BP for XMN-HKG flights on KA??!!
That's probably a good thing; even if the stamp didn't wound his phone, chopping off the portion of the BP that immigration needs to retain for its records would render it a total loss
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for explaining. Had no idea if a short time turnover at XMN is feasible. Seems like it is not as easy as the case in TPE.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thanks for explaining. Had no idea if a short time turnover at XMN is feasible. Seems like it is not as easy as the case in TPE.
It is frustrating because XMN mixes arriving and departing pax. So it appears that you could simply disembark and wait there.
But the stamped boarding pass prevents it. To get BP you need to go to checkin counter and then get it stamped through immigration. And KA usually lands at the end of the airport (near the lounge), so a long walk back and forth. It's impossible to get to checkin counter before the flight closes (40 min).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:12 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
you wont be able to go through.

is xmn one of the ports that allow e-bp?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
nothing in china is as easy as the rest of the world. It is best to let that country rot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.